Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:04pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a difference between knowing that there are consequences associated with an activity, and actually knowing and understanding what those consequences are. Especially when it comes to long term health impacts. I'd be willing to bet that there are probably alot of people out there who have competed in MMA under the "safer than boxing" mindset, who may not have made the same decisions if they'd had a clearer understanding of the potential long term health effects, or even a clearer understanding of brain injuries in general.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Boy, you'll never be as manly as me so there's no need to preach to the choir about the peoples of the US of A not being fucking hardcore enough. I know a lack of hardcore when I motherfucking see it. Just like I know a lack of book learnin', which is what I see when I look at your posts.
    Book learnin' huh, I though the hillbillies around your parts only used books to start the fires to roast their "flatmeat". Oh speaking of being hardcore, you actually back to training yet?? How often you get off the armchair these days??

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    There's a difference between knowing that there are consequences associated with an activity, and actually knowing and understanding what those consequences are. Especially when it comes to long term health impacts. I'd be willing to bet that there are probably alot of people out there who have competed in MMA under the "safer than boxing" mindset, who may not have made the same decisions if they'd had a clearer understanding of the potential long term health effects, or even a clearer understanding of brain injuries in general.
    See to me anyone who isn't smart enough through "common sense" to realize that getting punched in the head over and over might have some long term effects probably are not smart enough to even understand the study. The thing is it's called ultimate FIGHTING, that alone should clue people in that it might be dangerous. Now I don't have a problem with finding out how dangerous or making that data available for the masses, but the "data" in this article has agenda written all over it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bnet, how are studies like this pussifying the country?

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:43pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Bnet, how are studies like this pussifying the country?
    The study isn't, the agenda is, ***** ass liberals hate MMA and will find any excuse to down the violence level. First it will start with different gloves, then protective head gear, and by the time they're done it will be two guys fighting in those dog training suits.

And it's not just MMA or football, every fucking aspect of my country is getting pussified.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    That's better. Still fails to quantify knockdowns in boxing that would involve equivalent punishment to a TKO in MMA, which over-reports MMA or under reports boxing incidents. Counting knockdowns, most boxing matches would have at least one "concussion-like injury," and the average may come out near or above 1:1.
    My take on the DATA is that it's a big step forward.

Things have come a long way since the early 1990's, when nobody except nobody gave a flying rat **** about these kinds of statistics. Can you imagine Brazil examining the brains of Vale Tudo fighters?

The goal is to mitigate injuries, not "pussify" anything....risk mitigation is a noble goal in any form of competition.

I don't think the conclusions and recommendations of this study were that extreme.

The "timeout-by-knockdown" rule would prevent a lot of unnecessary MMA TBI due to the exact kind of thing in Alex's animated gif...there is never any fucking need to hammer in the face of someone who can no longer defend themselves. The ref stepped in a second too late..they are not supposed to let that sort of thing happen. It's MMA competition...not gladiator pitfighting to death.

UFC should consider a rule that would halt the bout at least temporarily after a competitor is knocked down, and require mandatory imaging scans of fighters who suffer knockouts or TKOs, they say.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/01/2014 4:57pm at .

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    My take on the DATA is that it's a big step forward.

Things have come a long way since the early 1990's, when nobody except nobody gave a flying rat **** about these kinds of statistics. Can you imagine Brazil examining the brains of Vale Tudo fighters?

I don't think the conclusions and recommendations of this study were that extreme.

The "timeout-by-knockdown" rule would prevent a lot of unnecessary MMA TBI due to the exact kind of thing in Alex's animated gif...there is never any fucking need to hammer in the face of someone who can no longer defend themselves. The ref stepped in a second too late..they are not supposed to let that sort of thing happen. It's MMA competition...not gladiator pitfighting to death.
    This would open a huge can of worms in the MMA world, people already argue about stoppages and you want even more fights stopped early?? Trying to gauge the point were someone might receive a concussion, how exactly can anyone accurately do that??
    Now I agree that if they are out cold you shouldn't pound them into goo, but changing the ruleset for a timeout is just dumb. Too many fighters would take advantage to turn the fight around. This is exactly the pussifying I'm talking about.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    This would open a huge can of worms in the MMA world, people already argue about stoppages and you want even more fights stopped early?? Trying to gauge the point were someone might receive a concussion, how exactly can anyone accurately do that??
    Who said "stopped early". What's wrong with pausing a fight, huh? Boxers have to deal with it ALL the time.

The match has a REF. Why the hell is he there if not to ensure fair competition, particularly the kind that avoids permanent, life altering injuries.

It's not fucking man eat man in UFC, bud. A lot of MMA competitors are just people trying to win purses and take care of themselves and their families. If we can use this data to spare those folks career and life-threatening injuries, more power to it.

Now I agree that if they are out cold you shouldn't pound them into goo, but changing the ruleset for a timeout is just dumb. Too many fighters would take advantage to turn the fight around. This is exactly the pussifying I'm talking about.
    Some people would argue cold cocking a guy on the ground like this is being a *****, even in an MMA match.

Hey, if you just want to see blood maybe that's your thing. Some of us are more civilized and prefer to watch for the technique instead of the crushed skulls.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/01/2014 5:20pm at .

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who said "stopped early". What's wrong with pausing a fight, huh? Boxers have to deal with it ALL the time.

The match has a REF. Why the hell is he there if not to ensure fair competition, particularly the kind that avoids permanent, life altering injuries.

It's not fucking man eat man in UFC, bud. A lot of MMA competitors are just people trying to win purses and take care of themselves and their families.

Some people would argue cold cocking a guy on the ground like this is being a *****, even in an MMA match.

Hey, if you just want to see blood maybe that's your thing. Some of us are more civilized and prefer to watch for the technique instead of the crushed skulls.
    I'm not out for blood or injuries, but I think adding a timeout is not the way to go. Boxers use that pause to their advantage as a way to recover, I personally think that it is more ***** to use a ruleset to win against an opponent who has already basically kicked your ass. MMA needs a least a little bit of toughness in it.

As far as hitting someone on the ground, I have seen a fair bit of fights reversed on the ground from bottom position.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you imagine Brazil examining the brains of Vale Tudo fighters?
    Only when a head gets cracked open and you can get a good view with a flashlight.

Now I agree that if they are out cold you shouldn't pound them into goo
    *****! Ruining mah coutry!

The study isn't, the agenda is, ***** ass liberals hate MMA and will find any excuse to down the violence level.
    Your distaste for ***** ass liberals has been extensively documented.

That's a pretty bad bias to figure any study of such things is part of a liberal agenda. Do you think anyone in the pro-MMA agenda would be interested in studying such things, or is any study concerning fighting and TBI part of a liberal ***** agenda?

First it will start with different gloves, then protective head gear, and by the time they're done it will be two guys fighting in those dog training suits.
    Interestingly enough, MMA unfolded in the exact opposite direction.

And it's not just MMA or football, every fucking aspect of my country is getting pussified.
    Yeah, its like they're doing studies about everything these days!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast