Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA linked to high incidence of TBI

A mixed martial arts fighter suffers a traumatic brain injury in almost a third of professional bouts - far more than the rate of such injuries in hockey, football or even boxing, suggests a new Canadian study.

It is among the first scientific reviews of MMA's concussion-related dangers, as other contact sports increasingly focus on the head-trauma issue.
    Evidence that such injuries can result in structural damage to the brain and "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" - sometimes known as boxer's dementia - makes a strong argument that MMA should be banned for youth, and made safer for professionals, the researchers say.

UFC should consider a rule that would halt the bout at least temporarily after a competitor is knocked down, and require mandatory imaging scans of fighters who suffer knockouts or TKOs, they say.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...al-bouts-study

Interesting, it kind of flies in the face of the whole "MMA is safer becose small gloves and no standing 8 count." stance i've heard repeated more than a few times.

I'm guessing this will be a point of contention:

The study conducted by Prof. Hutchison and doctors at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto did not involve actual medical diagnosis of MMA fighters.

Instead, they analysed the publicly available scorecards from professional UFC matches, which indicate whether a fight ended in a knockout or TKO. While not definitive evidence, it is probable that a knockout, where the fighter loses consciousness, involves a concussion or more severe brain injury, said Prof. Hutchison.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 2:28pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhhh... Isn't that is comparing the mma KOs to general participation in the other sports? The image is confusing. Just because you participate in mma doesn't mean you're always getting knocked out. I mean, 100 mma KOs are not the same as 100 times simply throwing the football around at the park. Apples to apples would be mma KOs compared to boxing KOs, or football KOs.

Shouldn't this be a per 1000 participants in each sport, x % get traumatic brain injuries? Or is this actually showing knockouts for each sport, and resultant damage?
    Last edited by RynoGreene; 3/28/2014 2:33pm at .

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 2:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are comparing rates of similar injury.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    3/29/2014 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A TKO does not necessarily need to involve a KO. Bodyshots, one fighter conscious but unable to defend himself... and I'm sure there are other reasons.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/29/2014 7:09am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plenty of questions remaining to be answered here but the information shouldn't be dismissed just because we're fans and we want the sport to be accepted as-is. The whole MMA is safer than boxing mantra has always been questionable to me. As the parent of a kid who could end up competing in MMA, I'm very interested. Thanks for posting.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2014 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    A TKO does not necessarily need to involve a KO. Bodyshots, one fighter conscious but unable to defend himself... and I'm sure there are other reasons.
    Yeah, I have a real problem with this methodology, and it shows a profoundly shallow understanding of the sport that the researchers proceeded in this manner. A TKO by strikes in MMA is equivalent to a knockdown in boxing in many cases. The knockdown is being counted at all in boxing, but being listed as in injury in the MMA bout.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    3/29/2014 8:41pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could not read article but the description sounds like a reasonable way to establish a hypotheses and evaluate whether in depth study is needed. I think a real study is needed and I hope the sport gets in front of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who needs pictures? Here's the important stuff:

The researchers also analyzed video to find technical knockouts that involved multiple strikes to the head, which they also suggest likely represent a traumatic brain injury.

They detected an average of 6.4 knockouts per athlete for every 100 fights, or “athlete exposures.” When the multiple-strike TKOs were added, the total of suspected brain injuries climbed to 15.9 per athlete per 100 bouts, or one concussion-like injury in 32% of matches.

That compares to rates, found in other studies, of 4.9 concussions per 100 athlete exposures in boxing, 2.2 per 100 in hockey and 8.08 per 100 in football, the paper said.

Analysis of the fight video suggested that 90% of the TKOs were a result of repetitive strikes. “The 30 seconds before match stoppage was characterized by the losing competitor sustaining a flurry of multiple strikes to the head,” said the study.

Half of the knockouts occurred because of blows to the mandible, or lower jaw.

And the researchers found an average of 2.6 head strikes after a knockout, inflicted on unconscious fighters.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 8:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So let me see if I have this right, getting repeatedly struck in the head is a bad thing?? Well no fucking ****. But the thing is there is risk associated with any high energy level activity. Exactly how ***** do people want to make MMA?? It's like the people who want football players to use space suits so they don't risk injuries. If they go that route then I say no risk = no mansion, sponsors, or PPV. No one is going to watch a kinder, safer, more cuddly MMA, and they are in the **** not going to shell out $70.00 for it. Same thing for football, no one is going to watch a red man suit game. Jesus has this fucking country been castrated??

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 8:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    So let me see if I have this right, getting repeatedly struck in the head is a bad thing?? Well no fucking ****. But the thing is there is risk associated with any high energy level activity. Exactly how ***** do people want to make MMA?? It's like the people who want football players to use space suits so they don't risk injuries. If they go that route then I say no risk = no mansion, sponsors, or PPV. No one is going to watch a kinder, safer, more cuddly MMA, and they are in the **** not going to shell out $70.00 for it. Same thing for football, no one is going to watch a red man suit game. Jesus has this fucking country been castrated??
    Don't be a dumbass drama whore. Nobody's a ***** just because people want to better understand the true risks involved with the sport. Fighters should have real data to support their decision to compete or not to compete instead of being forced to rely on marketing hype that says MMA is safer than boxing.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast