Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And of course no actual mma.

Unless counting doing kempo bjj as mma. But they do mention all three. It is billed as jits kempo and mma.

Which is probably not really fraud but worth pointing out for people thinking of doing the style.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 12:19am

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a Muay Thai gym in Nairobi that's the closest thing you'll get to modern MMA in the Kenya. But they have no Judo, Jits or any grappling there. So for practical purposes, there is no MMA in Kenya as here generally understand the term. You could always learn from David and the MT gym, close-ish to MMA, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 12:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got a Reply!!

Wooho! Got a reply from James "Bobby" Ware.

"Hello Mohseen, My name is james Ware, Iam a black belt,Please be free to check my name through google. I Did train at the graces and trained under Evaldo Lima who owns Neutral grounds gym under Royce Gracie,I am not a black belt in Jiu Jitsu and I do Gracie Jiu Jitsu not Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. This is the school am affiliated in and feel free to contact the Gracies. I hope this answers your question. Best regards James"

I did not edit that in anyway. Okay, so he's admitted he's not a BB in "Gracie Ju-Jitsu" which is not Brazilian Jujitsu :/

Still refuses to say what belt he actually is in GJJ, replying him right now to ask that question. Says his lineage is from Evaldo Lima, that name is new to me.

My reply.

"Hello James!

Ah, glad to see you're a Black Belt in Kenpo Karate, but what belt are you in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu? How long did you study with Evaldo Lima and when? Did he give you a Blue, Purple or Brown belt? I have a friend who'd also like to try GJJ, we're free on most Saturdays, when would an introductory class be available?

Thanks,

Mohseen."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 12:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to AFRICAN MIXED MARTIAL ARTS, the premier facility for Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ), Kenpo and mixed martial arts (MMA), and the "only Royce Gracie Black Belt Network in Eastern Africa". AFRICAN MMA Executive Director and head instructor James "Bobby" Ware is "one of two black belts in Kenya that is certified by legendary fighter Royce Gracie", making Bobby one of the most sought-after instructors for both novice students beginning their study of the art and advanced students looking to refine their technique.

That whole paragraph just sets up to look like Bobby is a BB in BJJ certified by Royce Gracie. And that there are only two, him being one of them.

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 12:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thompson's local news promo slot:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    claiming to be one of the only two Black Belts in Brazilian Jujitsu in Africa. I'd like to confirm if this is fact.
    I meant "East Africa", not Africa as a whole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 2:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Second E-mail From AfricanMMA And Reply

Okay people, I got a second reply from Bobby Ware, it seems like he is the one who mainly teaches GJJ, and this is what he had to say.

" Am not advanced in GJJ,I got my blue belt,which I never wear,I neither wear my black belt at times,the reason being,I have realized that there are many people who fake their rank e.t.c.,it is a good gesture,but it is but a material on my waist,not skill in my brain.I refer myself a student of all arts with a vast experience of over 25 years,I still have an open mind to learn and train with people from all walks of life. So I do get such questions about what rank I have and I answer,Am a white belt,if you have been in the arts for long,I believe you will understand what I mean. I do not mind having you visit with your friend and show us what you got,or share,I have had senior guys from around the world train with us. My take is simple,Am a white belt,if there is something you think you may learn from me,it's fine,if not I will understand. Their are so many guys out there who claim they are senior,but this is further from the truth. Saturday is afternoon is fine. Are you looking for anything specific about my credentials or is it for you in terms of training?"

NO EDITS. My Reply.

"Both actually, as the wording on your website strongly implied that you're a Black Belt in GJJ, but the pictures that show Royce, feature yourself and Dr Edward in White Belts, so I was curious as to which one was the real belt. Also, your instructor page says "6th-degree Black Belt, Professor Rank", but doesn't mentioned in which art, Kenpo or GJJ? So I was just confirming whether I would be learning under a GJJ Black or White Belt.

And as you've said before, there are a lot of people who will fake credentials when it comes to martial arts.

You may want to make your actual belt in GJJ more clear on AfricanMMA.com, as it states nowhere that you're a Blue belt, I'm a White Belt myself who's only rolled like maybe 7 times, so I'm total novice in that sense. I'll check with my friend and we'll see if we can pass by next Saturday."

Well, that's all that has transpired for now. Going to check out another US Marine who teaches combat BJJ on Friday, I've trained with him once before and it was a great roll. Will also ask him what his belt, trainer and period of training is. It'll be good to have a proper list of people who teach BJJ in Kenya, their ranks, lineage, style, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What ya'll think of David's skillz from that clip? Is that typical Brown Belt level? I've only rolled 7-8 times, most of which was during Aikido class with other guys who did not know BJJ. I'm not really a good judge.

Posted On:
    5/24/2014 12:57am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Response

Hello, I came across this posting. I am Edward S. Thalheimer. I am a 7th Degree Black Belt in Kenpo Karate. I have only a Blue Belt in Brazilian Ju Jitsu. I have never worked in Kenya, that is run by Bobby Ware who is a high ranking Kenpo Martial Artist. I only fund the enterprise from the USA. There is no mat in Kenya, no place for BJJ in Kenya, all we were trying to do is get some money over there to at least teach some basic BJJ in good surroundings. If you have never been to Kenya, everything is on Cement in some church or gym. I funded this so that they could have what it takes to have some classes. I do apologize for the confusion from the web site. Bobby is a great instructor, one of the best in eastern africa and is very widely regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    Hello! My name is Mohseen Lala, and I'm about to embark upon my journey of learning BJJ. I found a Dr. Edward S. Thalheimer claiming to be one of the only two Black Belts in Brazilian Jujitsu in Africa. I'd like to confirm if this is fact.

He teaches at africanmma(.com)

Picture of him with Royce Gracie (notice the white belt) is on the site, he's the Caucasian gentleman.

His instructor page claims he is a 7th degree Black Belt and a single picture of him with Royce is provided as evidence (in which he's wearing white belt with a black strap), I've not been able to find much else.

I have utilized my Google-do skills to the max, but with little fruit to show for it.

The classes for adult BJJ are also marked as "Gracie Combatives", which can be learned from a DVD set (which I have).

BJJ is fledgling art in Kenya, so I don't wish to waste my time by learning under a non-certified teacher.

I know it takes a solid decade to even get a basic Black Belt, this gentleman claims to own 7th degree one in BJJ, but there is nothing on him (that I've been able to find) on le net outside of the africanmma website. Also, are there any BJJ black, purple or even proper blue belts in Kenya at the moment?

I found David Thompson, a Canadian Brown Belt, and I did manage to verify him as true to his word. His all over Google and pretty authentic. Trained under Fabio Holanda.

Thank you,

Mohseen.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12