Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    400
    Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Sambo black belt in Alabama claims Lavar Johnson ranked him

    There is a guy in Alabama who claims to be a black belt in BJJ, Sambo, Karate, Taekwondo and a MMA black belt. He claims Lavar Johnson ranked him.

    In light of Lavar Johnson going to prison for beating up his girlfriend I would like to know did he rank people in Sambo? I remember a looong time ago and even tried to use the search function, that there was someone who claimed Lavar Johnson openly sold fake Sambo black belts to people.

    I also know there are no black belt ranks in Sambo. There are no belt ranks.

    Any info would be appreciated.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    400
    Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, he started a gym that failed which was under the International Mixed Martial Arts Association which is run by a Mike Govich. He has like 25 martial arts certifications you can buy from him. I believe he is a fraud.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,770
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    There is a guy in Alabama who claims to be a black belt in BJJ, Sambo, Karate, Taekwondo and a MMA black belt. He claims Lavar Johnson ranked him.

    In light of Lavar Johnson going to prison for beating up his girlfriend I would like to know did he rank people in Sambo? I remember a looong time ago and even tried to use the search function, that there was someone who claimed Lavar Johnson openly sold fake Sambo black belts to people.

    I also know there are no black belt ranks in Sambo. There are no belt ranks.

    Any info would be appreciated.
    I can't tell you one way or the other but there is belt ranks in SAMBO. Most of them are identified as school ranks but they are out there.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    400
    Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must apologize. He somehow is linked with Houston Alexander or he is friends with him. Alexander has a similar facial feature and look toe Lavar Jonson so I got the names mixed up.

    Also his Sombo black belt "Yes it is spelled weird like that" was from Johnathan Ivey. And his gym was a member of that Govitch group, the IMMAA and is a 3rd degree black belt in MMA and stuff like that. Apparently this guy was also ranking kids in styles such as Chute Jitsu and other weird styles. Like black belts in random stuff.

    Anyway had to clear it up and I was not sure if I could edit the subject.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    223
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    I must apologize. He somehow is linked with Houston Alexander or he is friends with him. Alexander has a similar facial feature and look toe Lavar Jonson so I got the names mixed up.

    Also his Sombo black belt "Yes it is spelled weird like that" was from Johnathan Ivey. And his gym was a member of that Govitch group, the IMMAA and is a 3rd degree black belt in MMA and stuff like that. Apparently this guy was also ranking kids in styles such as Chute Jitsu and other weird styles. Like black belts in random stuff.

    Anyway had to clear it up and I was not sure if I could edit the subject.
    Well, since Sambo is a transliterated Russian word, there are a couple of different transliterations out there. Some spell it Sombo, some Sambo... Some schools and lineages have a belt system some don't. In the Russian system you used to have instructor certification and competition ranking. Meaning you could be certified as a great coach but not a great competitor and you could be a great competitor but have no license to coach. Then the Soviet Union fell and it all got even more mixed up.

    Likewise with MMA. Some schools have started to give belts and belt ranking.

    If you want to know if he claims are legit, contact those that he claims to have gotten them from.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,770
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well, since Sambo is a transliterated Russian word, there are a couple of different transliterations out there. Some spell it Sombo, some Sambo... Some schools and lineages have a belt system some don't. In the Russian system you used to have instructor certification and competition ranking. Meaning you could be certified as a great coach but not a great competitor and you could be a great competitor but have no license to coach. Then the Soviet Union fell and it all got even more mixed up.

    Likewise with MMA. Some schools have started to give belts and belt ranking.

    If you want to know if he claims are legit, contact those that he claims to have gotten them from.
    You forgot CAMBO, COMBO.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    400
    Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the information about the spelling and information about Russia and certifications.

    I kind of think he just bought the rank and has never taken a real Sambo class in his life and he also was given an easy BJJ black belt rank since a white belt tapped him out multiple times. Very confusing.

  8. #8
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    3,397
    Style
    BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    he also was given an easy BJJ black belt rank since a white belt tapped him out multiple times. Very confusing.
    I let white belts tap me out all the time. Should I give my blue belt back?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,196
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I let white belts tap me out all the time. Should I give my blue belt back?
    White belts are friends, not food. Me too.

    Past one's twenties, the whole never tap thing gets a little silly.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    400
    Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except he wasn't letting the white belt tap him out...that is the problem. I am also a white belt and I know my instructor sometimes gives me good positions and allows me to work subs. But this was not the case. Anyway thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO