Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sambo black belt in Alabama claims Lavar Johnson ranked him

There is a guy in Alabama who claims to be a black belt in BJJ, Sambo, Karate, Taekwondo and a MMA black belt. He claims Lavar Johnson ranked him.

In light of Lavar Johnson going to prison for beating up his girlfriend I would like to know did he rank people in Sambo? I remember a looong time ago and even tried to use the search function, that there was someone who claimed Lavar Johnson openly sold fake Sambo black belts to people.

I also know there are no black belt ranks in Sambo. There are no belt ranks.

Any info would be appreciated.

Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, he started a gym that failed which was under the International Mixed Martial Arts Association which is run by a Mike Govich. He has like 25 martial arts certifications you can buy from him. I believe he is a fraud.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    There is a guy in Alabama who claims to be a black belt in BJJ, Sambo, Karate, Taekwondo and a MMA black belt. He claims Lavar Johnson ranked him.

In light of Lavar Johnson going to prison for beating up his girlfriend I would like to know did he rank people in Sambo? I remember a looong time ago and even tried to use the search function, that there was someone who claimed Lavar Johnson openly sold fake Sambo black belts to people.

I also know there are no black belt ranks in Sambo. There are no belt ranks.

Any info would be appreciated.
    I can't tell you one way or the other but there is belt ranks in SAMBO. Most of them are identified as school ranks but they are out there.

Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must apologize. He somehow is linked with Houston Alexander or he is friends with him. Alexander has a similar facial feature and look toe Lavar Jonson so I got the names mixed up.

Also his Sombo black belt "Yes it is spelled weird like that" was from Johnathan Ivey. And his gym was a member of that Govitch group, the IMMAA and is a 3rd degree black belt in MMA and stuff like that. Apparently this guy was also ranking kids in styles such as Chute Jitsu and other weird styles. Like black belts in random stuff.

Anyway had to clear it up and I was not sure if I could edit the subject.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must apologize. He somehow is linked with Houston Alexander or he is friends with him. Alexander has a similar facial feature and look toe Lavar Jonson so I got the names mixed up.

Also his Sombo black belt "Yes it is spelled weird like that" was from Johnathan Ivey. And his gym was a member of that Govitch group, the IMMAA and is a 3rd degree black belt in MMA and stuff like that. Apparently this guy was also ranking kids in styles such as Chute Jitsu and other weird styles. Like black belts in random stuff.

Anyway had to clear it up and I was not sure if I could edit the subject.
    Well, since Sambo is a transliterated Russian word, there are a couple of different transliterations out there. Some spell it Sombo, some Sambo... Some schools and lineages have a belt system some don't. In the Russian system you used to have instructor certification and competition ranking. Meaning you could be certified as a great coach but not a great competitor and you could be a great competitor but have no license to coach. Then the Soviet Union fell and it all got even more mixed up.

Likewise with MMA. Some schools have started to give belts and belt ranking.

If you want to know if he claims are legit, contact those that he claims to have gotten them from.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well, since Sambo is a transliterated Russian word, there are a couple of different transliterations out there. Some spell it Sombo, some Sambo... Some schools and lineages have a belt system some don't. In the Russian system you used to have instructor certification and competition ranking. Meaning you could be certified as a great coach but not a great competitor and you could be a great competitor but have no license to coach. Then the Soviet Union fell and it all got even more mixed up.

Likewise with MMA. Some schools have started to give belts and belt ranking.

If you want to know if he claims are legit, contact those that he claims to have gotten them from.
    You forgot CAMBO, COMBO.

Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the information about the spelling and information about Russia and certifications.

I kind of think he just bought the rank and has never taken a real Sambo class in his life and he also was given an easy BJJ black belt rank since a white belt tapped him out multiple times. Very confusing.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he also was given an easy BJJ black belt rank since a white belt tapped him out multiple times. Very confusing.
    I let white belts tap me out all the time. Should I give my blue belt back?

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I let white belts tap me out all the time. Should I give my blue belt back?
    White belts are friends, not food. Me too.

Past one's twenties, the whole never tap thing gets a little silly.

Style
    Taekwondo/Kali/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except he wasn't letting the white belt tap him out...that is the problem. I am also a white belt and I know my instructor sometimes gives me good positions and allows me to work subs. But this was not the case. Anyway thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last