• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2014 8:01pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we talking the Phoenix Quest Centre?

If so:
    Spoiler:

Michael Akitoshi Stinson has been training in the martial arts for over 20 years and has studied with many notable martial arts masters including Anshu Stephen K. Hayes, Masaaki Hatsumi, Rorion Gracie, Relson Gracie and many others.

During that time he has earned a 4th degree black in To-Shin Do, a blue belt in Nova Uniao Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and a blue belt in the Gracie Combatives self defense Jiu-Jitsu program.
    http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/phoenix-q...-arts-chandler

Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 2:08pm

Style: Reality Based Martial Art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I'm with IIF, if you're there because of the BJJ, you're going to be better off in the long run just going to train BJJ somewhere.

If you're there to play ninja, well... Play ninja all you want, but I think you're going to end up feeling mighty disappointed. So you're still better off finding a BJJ school.
    His BJJ seems relatively solid,but he is only a blue belt, but has trained in Eddie Bravo's system for a long time in the past.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post

If so:
    Yep. That's the school right there...and that's about how fast and about how much force is used in training. Uhhh... so unrealistic. Despite that though, they are nice people and fun to train with. They are just delusional about the effectiveness of what they practice, but that's not uncommon in most dojos. I thought I was king karate when I was in TKD learning the self-defense techniques so I can relate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I looked at the website, where is his combatives certification?
    It's on the wall in the school. Not on the website. It's written in mostly Japanese by Stephen Hayes if I'm not mistaken.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 3:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    seperate
    The best part? You know, this wasn't part of your joke.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 3:14pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    It's on the wall in the school. Not on the website. It's written in mostly Japanese by Stephen Hayes if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm talking about the GJJ Combatives, that better not be in Japanese.

The instructor is ranked through the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Combatives program s

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 5:53pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    His BJJ seems relatively solid,but he is only a blue belt, but has trained in Eddie Bravo's system for a long time in the past.
    Relative to what though? The Gracie academy website only lists his blue belt as being awarded in January 2014 via Gracie University.

On his Gracie University Profile he only claims 6 months of 10th planet training:

Training in Stephen K. Hayes organization for almost 20 years, trained with John Botello 10th Planet Jiu-jitsu for about 6 months, training regular private lessons with Gary Matsch (a Nova Uniao Black Belt), owner and senior instructor of the Phoenix Quest Center (an SKH Quest Center).
    https://www.gracieuniversity.com/students.aspx?t=4

A cursory search yielded no competition results either.

Basically, a BJJ blue belt is not an instructor level rank (I know this as I am one). And if the shitty armbar displayed at the end of that video is anything to go by, he's not a particularly prodigious grappling instructor.

If you had no other options for learning BJJ in the area then, over a long period of time, you might pick up some level of skill and it might be almost worth zombie-ing through the ninjer larping for the small amount of BJJ you'll get. However, there is a wide range of qualified instructors in the area to choose from where you will develop a much higher level of skill in a much shorter time period. Go with one of those.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 6:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: To-Shin Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before any further misinformation is communicated:

We are not a Gracie Certified Training Center. For the past year we have been operating as a Gracie Garage in an effort to gauge student and community interest in running a full time program. Participants are told very clearly what our status is, what my experience is and what our goals are in relation to the program.

Per the guidelines of operating a Gracie Garage we do not advertise or list it in any way on any of our websites, nor is there any fee involved with attending that particular time slot in our schedule.

I am currently enrolled in the Gracie Instructor Certification Program and assuming all goes well we will be official later this year. This approach seems to really work well for my school and my students.

I have been involved with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since late 2008 or early 2009 when I started training with the 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu group here in Phoenix. In 2010 I began training with a Nova Uniao black belt and have been training with him pretty regularly ever since. This black belt has also provided guidance to our school for the past few years in regards to BJJ. I also work regularly with one of the other established Gracie Certified Training Centers here in Phoenix and attend seminars with various Gracie instructors as often as they are in town.

We are very upfront about exactly what we do and don't do....what we offer and don't offer....and exactly what experience we have to share. Some people like what we do, and others don't; just like any other school or business. In general I do my best to identify this before someone enrolls and try to guide them elsewhere if needed as I hate wasting anyone's time, especially my own.

This thread and a few other recent incidents that have been brought to my attention, serves as a clear indicator that we have a misalignment with this particular student.
    We will be happy to cancel your membership and refund your last payment. Best of luck to you in your journeys.

Normally I would not have addressed this publicly, but I want absolutely no misunderstanding of my current relationship with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, the Gracie Academy, or how we represent ourselves in that regard.

PS That is not me in the video…just a couple of students we filmed playing around one afternoon. Also that is not intended to be an armbar in the video…that is one of the Gracie self defense methods for dealing with a headlock. You can find Rorion demonstrating it on youtube if you really want to and it is a part of the Combatives curriculum.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 6:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arizona has an epidemic of BJJ schools, clubs and MMA gyms. Oh, now that's interesting, he is learning through the Gracie University program. If he really is a Blue Belt, in six months..........
    We have an entire thread discussing the good and bad of the home course, this would be the bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 7:57pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post

If so:
    One thing I cannot understand, which seems indicative of both To Shin Do and the Bujinkan, is the weird limp wristed way they perform all of their techniques. If the people on that video had better body mechanics and used a little energy it would resemble run of the mill 'not-so-great-but-there's-worse-out-there' self defense stuff. But they way the perform their techniques is like they are purposely trying to be sloppy aikidoka.

It's like there's a whole group of martial arts out there that are trying to one up each other on the who is shittier scale.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast