Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/22/2014 6:56pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I notice that you're sitting way back on your descent. Is there a reason that you're doing that? Everyone moves differently and everyone has different goals, but you look like you're losing your balance sitting back so far. Have you tried squatting down more between your legs rather than behind them?

I also notice that your shins are rock solid vertical. I don't know your history or concerns, but for most healthy people it's perfectly safe to allow your knees to come forward over your toes some. That might help you stay more upright as well.

Just some thoughts. Play with lots of possibilities and find your own best way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2014 7:52pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me out with my squat?

Having a spotter/lifting partner that knows what they are doing is the best thing. And don't forget to take in a huge breath and hold it at least until your hips come past your knees on the way up.

Like what Crack Fox said, all the other tools are just tools to help correct imbalances, but It's really important to be patient and have someone to workout with and develop a solid base form.
    Last edited by daishi; 3/22/2014 8:02pm at .

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:10am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    I notice that you're sitting way back on your descent. Is there a reason that you're doing that? Everyone moves differently and everyone has different goals, but you look like you're losing your balance sitting back so far. Have you tried squatting down more between your legs rather than behind them?

I also notice that your shins are rock solid vertical. I don't know your history or concerns, but for most healthy people it's perfectly safe to allow your knees to come forward over your toes some. That might help you stay more upright as well.

Just some thoughts. Play with lots of possibilities and find your own best way.
    I really couldn't tell you why I go back so far. It DOES feel awkward on the way down, though. Also, I'd thought my shins were supposed to stay vertical? Everything I've read online seems to say knees going over the toes is evil and the tool of satan.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignore the text about bar position for a second. You're doing Starting Strength. This is the way that the squat is prescribed in the book - look at how far the knee goes over the toes.

If you try and keep your shin vertical you'll end up doing a good morning followed by dropping your arse while the bar stays mostly in the same place.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 3/23/2014 11:31am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:16am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me out with my squat?

The knee over the toe thing is true for most people, but it's not necessarily bad for everyone... depends on your body type.

...yeah, and bar location as displayed above.

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The laws of physics mean that you cannot do a squat with your shin vertical, yet the majority of people on line will tell you that's the way to do it. I think that says it all really.

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've seen that picture a ton of times. I'm also seeing a lot of "no, THIS is how to do hip drive" videos.

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Yeah, I've seen that picture a ton of times. I'm also seeing a lot of "no, THIS is how to do hip drive" videos.
    If you don't like the way Ripptoe squats, and the squat is his cornerstone exercise, why are you bothering with his program?

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    If you don't like the way Ripptoe squats, and the squat is his cornerstone exercise, why are you bothering with his program?
    Oh, no, I'm not saying I like or don't like any particular method. Just that you were right in that there's a crapton of conflicting information floating around.

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Oh, no, I'm not saying I like or don't like any particular method. Just that you were right in that there's a crapton of conflicting information floating around.
    Seriously, you should look into getting some good coaching. It'll save you a lot of time and possibly money in the long run.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast