MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Operation: Get Swole

For the next month - from Today until March 20th - I will have unprecedented four week stretch with no travel, no conventions, no work obligations. After that, I kick off a coast-to-coast tour that will be put me in a nigh-constant state of travel, from Boston to Seattle.
    I am planning to spend the majority of this vacation getting swole as ****. I moved apartments in January, and now have a handy dandy YMCA just a few minutes away. I was getting into a nice rhythm of "weights in the morning, MMA in the evening", but it kept getting interrupted by travel and debilitating sinus infections.
    Anywho, I'm back on that rhythm, and I want to get the absolute most of out of this month where I can prioritize getting in awesome shape over my normal pursuits of making thousands of dollars a week, seeing the country, and sleeping with beautiful, talented women. Then I'll be back to that life in a major way.
    I'm currently 160 and change, and I want to get up to at least 170 and change before getting back to the real world. Problem is, I'm a classic hard-gainer bodytype. My workout routine consists mostly of compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, benches, pullups), but my diet is the thing I'm most worried about. Besides drinking a **** load of chocolate whole milk, any advice on getting high-density calories into my body? Are mass gainers worth it, or should I just use that money to buy steak and brown rice?
    Also, I've found that somewhere along the line, I lost my super powers regarding squats. I used to be able to ass-to-grass squat 240 lbs 5x5. Now, when I do squats.... I just hate it. I have a hard time breathing through the exercising (exacerbated by gym's stupid "no-kiai" policy), and my body just sends a strong "knock this **** off signal." I've been doing half squats and leg presses more instead - are those going to be an effective substitute for full squats?
    Aside from that all, any other general advice for my endeavors?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 6:30pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear good things about Whey...

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 6:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I hear good things about Whey...
    Yes that. There is lots of that. Often mixed with said chocolate milk.
    Also, a habit I've picked up that I want the opinion of other's on: during-workout nutrition. I started making a protein shake (mostly the above chocolate milk and whey), and found that drinking it *while* I was working out instead of *after* I worked out extended my workout period, and I felt like I was getting more out of each session.

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    For the next month - from Today until March 20th - I will have unprecedented four week stretch with no travel, no conventions, no work obligations. After that, I kick off a coast-to-coast tour that will be put me in a nigh-constant state of travel, from Boston to Seattle.
    I am planning to spend the majority of this vacation getting swole as ****. I moved apartments in January, and now have a handy dandy YMCA just a few minutes away. I was getting into a nice rhythm of "weights in the morning, MMA in the evening", but it kept getting interrupted by travel and debilitating sinus infections.
    Anywho, I'm back on that rhythm, and I want to get the absolute most of out of this month where I can prioritize getting in awesome shape over my normal pursuits of making thousands of dollars a week, seeing the country, and sleeping with beautiful, talented women. Then I'll be back to that life in a major way.
    Awesome. Kick ass and take names with a fiery disposition.

I'm currently 160 and change, and I want to get up to at least 170 and change before getting back to the real world. Problem is, I'm a classic hard-gainer bodytype. My workout routine consists mostly of compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, benches, pullups), but my diet is the thing I'm most worried about. Besides drinking a **** load of chocolate whole milk, any advice on getting high-density calories into my body? Are mass gainers worth it, or should I just use that money to buy steak and brown rice?
    Are you training MMA or doing conditioning as well as lifting? If so, that's what's hindering your growth, not some magical "hardgainer" DNA sequence.

Whey is okay but I've never tried mass gainers; it sounds like a way to overcharge you for the privilege of not cooking rice. I'd rather supplement with a few thousand IUs of vitamin D (if you don't get enough sun) or omega-3s/fish oil.

My checklist is as follows: meat, eggs, milk (raw or goat if possible), yogurt. Veggies galore, lots of rice and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and good fats like pastured butter, coconut, avocado, olive. Maximize every single one of those. Eat a big breakfast of eggs plus yogurt with fruit or leftovers, a big lunch of everything, a big dinner of everything, and a big before-sleep meal or draught of milk to top it all off. Cook meals yourself in bulk, minimize deep-frying and breading and soda and sweets.

The mental trick I've used is that if you are ever, ever, ever hungry at any point during a given week, then you have no right to call yourself a hardgainer by referencing any part of that week as "time that I tried to gain weight". It's just not logical. If you're hungry then you didn't properly plan your meals and you need to do a better job next time but don't feel bad about it it's just the way things go sometimes we still love you.

240 lbs 5x5. Now, when I do squats.... I just hate it. I have a hard time breathing through the exercising (exacerbated by gym's stupid "no-kiai" policy), and my body just sends a strong "knock this **** off signal." I've been doing half squats and leg presses more instead - are those going to be an effective substitute for full squats?
    Aside from that all, any other general advice for my endeavors?
    Half squats and leg presses are stupid. You and I both know that. You're better than that. Why not try front squats? (Start light, progress long time.) Or one-legged bodyweight squats (pistols) and King deadlifts (one legged bodyweight squat, but raised knee touches behind grounded ankle instead of going out in front) after one set of barbell squats? What about loaded lunges? There are plenty of heavy, real exercises that will challenge you but not make you bored or sad. Switch it up.

Come to think of it, where are the explosive movements? Aren't you an athlete? You are doing power cleans or power snatches or push presses or box jumps or something...right?

As for the breathing thing: What? When it's heavy, I'm like, "Big breath, lock it tight, one rep. Exhale at the top, one breath in and out to reset, big breath, lock it, another rep" and I do that for a set of five. Maybe I'll do one breath for two reps if it feels light that day. Are you trying to hold your breath for the whole set of five? Or are you doing that government-recommends-for-geriatrics breath-in-on-the-way-down-and-out-on-the-way-up weaksauce?

General advice is to lift heavy and eat constantly and sleep good. Good luck, man.

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 6:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Yes that. There is lots of that. Often mixed with said chocolate milk.
    Also, a habit I've picked up that I want the opinion of other's on: during-workout nutrition. I started making a protein shake (mostly the above chocolate milk and whey), and found that drinking it *while* I was working out instead of *after* I worked out extended my workout period, and I felt like I was getting more out of each session.
    If I find myself bonking (getting sluggish, sleepy, or fighting through a fog) during a workout session, it's generally because I didn't eat enough (particularly carbs) earlier that day. A banana or shake or whatever helps me extend the workout by re-invigorating me.

However, if that happens to me more than once a month, it's a big neon sign that I'm not eating enough, nor planning my meals well. A medium-size meal with plenty of carbs (often fruit) two hours before the workout generally fixes this. (To me, medium means two cups of rice, three eggs, a slice or two of meat, a chunk of cheese the size of three fingers, and a bowl of yogurt with a banana and jam.)
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 7:12pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    (To me, medium means two cups of rice, three eggs, a slice or two of meat, a chunk of cheese the size of three fingers, and a bowl of yogurt with a banana and jam.)
    Goddamn, Michael Phelps. If that was my idea of a medium sized meal they'd have my ass on The Biggest Loser in a couple years.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 4:27pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice, 1point2. I just got back from today's lift session, and I'm re-integrating the full squats.I've had to take the weight way the **** down, which is sad, but I'll get it back eventually.
    I'm attempting to get back on a GOMAD diet, plus dead things. Currently frying up a bunch of butchered pigs.

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 6:46pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1point2's advice is correct, although personally i don't buy into the "squats or GTFO" for mass gains. I have a bum lower back and get much better leg strength and size gains from 1 legged leg press.

I recommend checking out Lyle Mcdonald's free articles regarding weight training and nutrition in general. Pretty much anyone worth listening to in the fitness industry is just parroting his work so you may as well go straight to the source.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 8:35pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats are awesome. Just be humble, and re-set your poundage to your current ability. It's not about ego, it is about getting strong, and squats are a great way to do it.

Check your range of motion as well. If you're having trouble getting out of the bottom, you might be just suffering from some decreased rom like many of us desk jockeys. On my non-squats days, or even after my light session or running, I'll often just rest in a low squat position. Just chilling out, ass to the grass occasionally seemed to help with my low position and helped with hip/ankle flexibility.

If you're on the road with no gym, or have back issues, Bulgarian split squats, (even unweighted) are a solid option. I sometimes do these on my light day for a change of pace, and are a good workout. I haven't tried pistols yet, but might start playing around with those as well.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 8:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My range of motion with squats is pretty good; I tend to sit around in a Third World Squat position, and haven't really lost any of it.
    Also, after Operation: Get Swole concludes, I need to seriously look at maintaining health and fitness while on the road. I'm pretty sure I logged over a hundred days of travel last year, so I'm spending nearly 1/3 of my time away from home, often with fast food as the only food option. I'm trying to cut back a bit on that front this year, but I'm still spending a lot of my days on the open road.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast