223771 Bullies, 3800 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 15
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Mr.HoneyBadger is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 3:59pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Some more traditional wrestling



    Here's some video of Coreeda wrestling, a revival of traditional aboriginal wrestling.


    Here's a Google+ site with lots of videos and pictures of traditional wrestling styles:

    https://plus.google.com/113846227794514136976/posts
  2. Bayonet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    75

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 4:20pm


     Style: Judo

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really interesting to see how many forms of grappling have been developed, and how similar they all seem to be. Seems that a good, open-minded grappler could step between styles without too much trouble, other than learning a slightly different ruleset each time.

    Does anyone know of any studies that trace the lineage of grappling styles in early human history? Any archaeological projects? Just thinking that a unified theory of human grappling would be a really interesting course of study.

    Shame that all these have been rendered useless with the invention of parking lots, eh?
  3. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,015

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 5:06pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    It's really interesting to see how many forms of grappling have been developed,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_wrestling
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...estling_styles

    Here is the thing when you get down to it. We are all human. Even ancient man was human. Wrestling is pretty natural. You see it in the animal kingdom you see it in us.

    While there is nearly an infinite amount of little things that can be done differently.
    At the end of the day their are few ways to efficiently use your body as a lever. Their are a few places where one can get a good grip on another person.

    As been said here before their is really no such thing as a Judo throw or a Sambo throw or a BJJ throw. Or trip or take down.

    A lot of Grappling is simply breaking your opponents balance. Their is a pretty limited amount of ways to do that.
  4. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,528

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 5:13pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think of grappling as the human equivalent of when kittens and other animals play fight with their claws retracted.
  5. Holy Moment is online now
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    4,037

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 5:49pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I think of grappling as the human equivalent of when kittens and other animals play fight with their claws retracted.
  6. Bayonet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    75

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:16pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

    While there is nearly an infinite amount of little things that can be done differently.
    At the end of the day their are few ways to efficiently use your body as a lever. Their are a few places where one can get a good grip on another person.

    As been said here before their is really no such thing as a Judo throw or a Sambo throw or a BJJ throw. Or trip or take down.

    A lot of Grappling is simply breaking your opponents balance. Their is a pretty limited amount of ways to do that.

    Oh definitely. Most of my interest with the styles is in the cultural side of things. It's one thing to talk about biomechanics and why efficient hip-throws all look the same, it's another to see how nearly every culture, all of them wildly different, elevated a practical skill into a cultural and entertainment spectacle.

    I wonder if that cultural evolution was passed on from group to group, or arose in each independently? I wonder if there's any way to trace it's development, if so...My Anthro nerd is bubbling up...

    Also, do any of you guys take part in any of these obscure "folk" wrestling styles? Do you think that some of these are going to make a comeback?
  7. Mr.HoneyBadger is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:21pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    Seems that a good, open-minded grappler could step between styles without too much trouble, other than learning a slightly different ruleset each time.
    I've heard that in a lot of countries, such as many of the Eurasian countries, their wrestlers are like this. They view different sports as differences in rule sets, so they train just grappling basically, and when a competition is coming up they will train specifically for that ruleset. In Afghanistan their native wrestling style is kuresh, and when they train they will train under both the kuresh ruleset, and the Judo ruleset.

    Personally I think that that is one of the best approaches to grappling as a whole.
  8. Mr.HoneyBadger is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:33pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    Oh definitely. Most of my interest with the styles is in the cultural side of things. It's one thing to talk about biomechanics and why efficient hip-throws all look the same, it's another to see how nearly every culture, all of them wildly different, elevated a practical skill into a cultural and entertainment spectacle.

    I wonder if that cultural evolution was passed on from group to group, or arose in each independently? I wonder if there's any way to trace it's development, if so...My Anthro nerd is bubbling up...

    Also, do any of you guys take part in any of these obscure "folk" wrestling styles? Do you think that some of these are going to make a comeback?

    I don't personally but I like to watch the videos of traditional jacket and belt wrestling for gripping ideas and such. I wish traditional wrestling styles were more available though.

    I've read in one of the books in the FILA online library that at one point they were experimenting with introducing certain styles such as Chidaoba (Georgian wrestling) and Bokh (Mongolian wrestling) into the training regiment of children wrestlers who were going to compete in freestyle or greco later on in life.
  9. Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs is offline
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar

    fist first Philosopher

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,645

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:36pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SAMBO players are also famous for switching between SAMBO, Judo, Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling competitions...and now they are adding BJJ to the equation.

    At a given moment, we had so many chechenians at Brasa Belgium and while some of them identified themselfs as Judoka or Wrestler here, all of them had the SAMBO background. These guys loved BJJ and in less than 5 years Brasa Chechnia was born.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
  10. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,015

    Posted On:
    3/20/2014 7:25pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you grapple under different rule sets how do you know which rule set to use on the "street" cause we all know grapplers are just sport fighters and they have to follow a rule set.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.