Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 3:59pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some more traditional wrestling

Here's some video of Coreeda wrestling, a revival of traditional aboriginal wrestling.

Here's a Google+ site with lots of videos and pictures of traditional wrestling styles:

https://plus.google.com/113846227794514136976/posts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 4:20pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really interesting to see how many forms of grappling have been developed, and how similar they all seem to be. Seems that a good, open-minded grappler could step between styles without too much trouble, other than learning a slightly different ruleset each time.

Does anyone know of any studies that trace the lineage of grappling styles in early human history? Any archaeological projects? Just thinking that a unified theory of human grappling would be a really interesting course of study.

Shame that all these have been rendered useless with the invention of parking lots, eh?

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    It's really interesting to see how many forms of grappling have been developed,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_wrestling
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...estling_styles

Here is the thing when you get down to it. We are all human. Even ancient man was human. Wrestling is pretty natural. You see it in the animal kingdom you see it in us.

While there is nearly an infinite amount of little things that can be done differently.
    At the end of the day their are few ways to efficiently use your body as a lever. Their are a few places where one can get a good grip on another person.

As been said here before their is really no such thing as a Judo throw or a Sambo throw or a BJJ throw. Or trip or take down.

A lot of Grappling is simply breaking your opponents balance. Their is a pretty limited amount of ways to do that.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think of grappling as the human equivalent of when kittens and other animals play fight with their claws retracted.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I think of grappling as the human equivalent of when kittens and other animals play fight with their claws retracted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:16pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

While there is nearly an infinite amount of little things that can be done differently.
    At the end of the day their are few ways to efficiently use your body as a lever. Their are a few places where one can get a good grip on another person.

As been said here before their is really no such thing as a Judo throw or a Sambo throw or a BJJ throw. Or trip or take down.

A lot of Grappling is simply breaking your opponents balance. Their is a pretty limited amount of ways to do that.

Oh definitely. Most of my interest with the styles is in the cultural side of things. It's one thing to talk about biomechanics and why efficient hip-throws all look the same, it's another to see how nearly every culture, all of them wildly different, elevated a practical skill into a cultural and entertainment spectacle.

I wonder if that cultural evolution was passed on from group to group, or arose in each independently? I wonder if there's any way to trace it's development, if so...My Anthro nerd is bubbling up...

Also, do any of you guys take part in any of these obscure "folk" wrestling styles? Do you think that some of these are going to make a comeback?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems that a good, open-minded grappler could step between styles without too much trouble, other than learning a slightly different ruleset each time.
    I've heard that in a lot of countries, such as many of the Eurasian countries, their wrestlers are like this. They view different sports as differences in rule sets, so they train just grappling basically, and when a competition is coming up they will train specifically for that ruleset. In Afghanistan their native wrestling style is kuresh, and when they train they will train under both the kuresh ruleset, and the Judo ruleset.

Personally I think that that is one of the best approaches to grappling as a whole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh definitely. Most of my interest with the styles is in the cultural side of things. It's one thing to talk about biomechanics and why efficient hip-throws all look the same, it's another to see how nearly every culture, all of them wildly different, elevated a practical skill into a cultural and entertainment spectacle.

I wonder if that cultural evolution was passed on from group to group, or arose in each independently? I wonder if there's any way to trace it's development, if so...My Anthro nerd is bubbling up...

Also, do any of you guys take part in any of these obscure "folk" wrestling styles? Do you think that some of these are going to make a comeback?

I don't personally but I like to watch the videos of traditional jacket and belt wrestling for gripping ideas and such. I wish traditional wrestling styles were more available though.

I've read in one of the books in the FILA online library that at one point they were experimenting with introducing certain styles such as Chidaoba (Georgian wrestling) and Bokh (Mongolian wrestling) into the training regiment of children wrestlers who were going to compete in freestyle or greco later on in life.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 6:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SAMBO players are also famous for switching between SAMBO, Judo, Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling competitions...and now they are adding BJJ to the equation.

At a given moment, we had so many chechenians at Brasa Belgium and while some of them identified themselfs as Judoka or Wrestler here, all of them had the SAMBO background. These guys loved BJJ and in less than 5 years Brasa Chechnia was born.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    3/20/2014 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you grapple under different rule sets how do you know which rule set to use on the "street" cause we all know grapplers are just sport fighters and they have to follow a rule set.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast