Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 12:49am

Style: Backyard Crappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight cutting issue.

I just ran across this...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/2/9/...-whos#comments

Apparently, the NC State Athletic Commission has a 13 pound weight gain limit from weigh in to fight day. As a smaller guy, I dig the **** out of this really, I think it kinda helps restore the point of having a weight class. Plus cutting weight sucks to be honest, it sucks bad. So I was wandering, how common is this? I've never heard of it before, does anywhere else use rules like this? Who likes this rule?

Also, **** you big people, **** you.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like this rule.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 1:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a fucking awesome rule. Who wants to fucking cut weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 1:06am

Style: BJJ, Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight cutting is stupid and takes away from the best possible performance. If you ask me, they should do same-day weigh-ins.

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 1:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpdawg View Post
    weight cutting is stupid and takes away from the best possible performance. If you ask me, they should do same-day weigh-ins.
    mothafuckin truth!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 11:23am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    Weight cutting is stupid and takes away from the best possible performance. If you ask me, they should do same-day weigh-ins.
    My only question is whether or not this would actually stop drastic weight cutting. I'm not sure it would. I know some people, maybe not the majority but enough, would still roll the dice and cut a lot of weight to try and drop down a weight class for the perceived advantage and therefore be competing even more dehydrated/weakened then they already are with weigh ins the day before. I would be worried that the net result is having more people fighting well below their best and ending up hurting the sport and possibly increasing the risk of serious injury.

**dislaimer** I don't know a ton about weight cutting so that might be off base, but knowing a decent number of people who compete regularly in both grappling events and MMA I get the sense that a lot of people wouldn't stop cutting weight. But maybe it is a step in the right direction.

As to the specific rule, I guess my question is what is the logic behind 13lbs? I know you have to set the line somewhere, but is there science behind picking this as the line?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 6:42pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they want to cheat, and that's essentially what cutting weight is, and they risk themselves by doing so, that's their own problem.

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    Yeeesh.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 6:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    My only question is whether or not this would actually stop drastic weight cutting. I'm not sure it would. I know some people, maybe not the majority but enough, would still roll the dice and cut a lot of weight to try and drop down a weight class for the perceived advantage and therefore be competing even more dehydrated/weakened then they already are with weigh ins the day before. I would be worried that the net result is having more people fighting well below their best and ending up hurting the sport and possibly increasing the risk of serious injury.

**dislaimer** I don't know a ton about weight cutting so that might be off base, but knowing a decent number of people who compete regularly in both grappling events and MMA I get the sense that a lot of people wouldn't stop cutting weight. But maybe it is a step in the right direction.

As to the specific rule, I guess my question is what is the logic behind 13lbs? I know you have to set the line somewhere, but is there science behind picking this as the line?
    Because most people don't cut properly and just sweat out like 2 gallons of water day of weigh ins to make weight. Which is around 16lbs. 13lbs makes it so you can still sweat out a safe amount of water.

I don't really see a problem with cuttin weight really. When I get into high intensity training and a proper non-fast food diet, my bodyfat drops a lot and I go from walking around 153ish to walking around 148ish.

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 7:07pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really REALLY like this rule, what a fantastic idea :)
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast