222238 Bullies, 3902 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 77
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. bluedevilboy76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 1:23am


     Style: kali

    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Too clarify, for the poster that doesn't understand, the first post was removed because the previous thread was not about LUKE'S ANTI-GRAPPLING.
    The original post was meant to address the absolute lack of "street" awareness that Luke included in his anti-grappling scenario. How many mistakes did the person he's trying to train have to make to end up in a position for a rear naked choke? Shouldn't the anti-grappling be focused on staying off the ground/ getting off the ground as opposed to making the guy who is about to choke you out angry? Even if his moves work the way he wants them to, his follow-ups were all still on the ground. There was no transition back to standing shown.

    Regarding my "contrived" scenario: I admit, the whole getaway car thing was maybe too flippant. But I do not agree with the position that thinking a fight outside of training or competition will involve more than two people is contrived.
  2. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,898

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 1:25am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    But I do not agree with the position that thinking a fight outside of training or competition will involve more than two people is contrived.
    Here let me help you out. Try changing will to can.
  3. ChenPengFi is offline
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,225

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 1:40am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post

    Regarding my "contrived" scenario: I admit, the whole getaway car thing was maybe too flippant.
    Ha!


    But I do not agree with the position that thinking a fight outside of training or competition will involve more than two people is contrived.

    Yet you feel free to assume who they are friends with? How absurd!

    You might be surprised one day, by an army of butt-scootieros!

    You never know after all!
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,786

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 1:45am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    But I do not agree with the position that thinking a fight outside of training or competition will involve more than two people is contrived.
    Good lord, how many strawman arguments can you build? Before you say it, quit cherry picking your own argument. I will gladly define contrived and show you EXACTLY where it occurred in your posts. Nope, it is your ARGUMENT that is contrived not MOST of your belief system.
  5. DKJr is offline
    DKJr's Avatar

    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,208

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 1:46am

    supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

    11
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, even with needles, lava, guns, knives and homeless black people ready to soccer kick you if you go to the ground.
    Yo dude, why do they have to be homeless?

    Black people of any socioeconomic class can soccer kick me in the head. This is the 21st century sir, keep your prejudices away from my street altercations.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,786

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 1:58am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    21st Century Bullshido circa Phil Elmore and RBSD say, LOL.
  7. ChenPengFi is offline
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,225

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 2:10am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a lot of head bootin' black folk, dunno about you guys but i'm scared.
  8. Bayonet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    75

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:03am


     Style: Judo

    10
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bayonet Street Fighting tips!:

    Usually when I go out for a night, I make sure to have a couple black friends with me. That way, any brawls have an equal number of head kickers, and street fights just won't happen. Mutually Assured Destruction, brah. Game-Theory Fu.



    Anyway, back into the soup.

    I find it weird that you eschew the idea of grappling so that you can avoid the dreaded "boot to the head", but you seem to advocate a striking style. Striking styles often tend to trade boots and other body-parts to the head. Also, if you end up fighting those nine homeless guys you're worried about, you're still quite likely to get that cheap shot from behind. The kind of people who will step in for a 4 on 1 beatdown are likely going to do it whenever their guy is losing, no matter whether you're still standing or not.


    Actually, what bothers me most about this whole argument is this... you have identified ground grappling as the Worst Case Scenario. I agree. I think everyone here can agree. Some of us have decided that it's a good idea to train FOR the worst case scenario. You seem to be arguing that, since you don't want the worst case scenario to happen, you refuse to train for it. That's mind-boggling.

    Lets try that out in some other situations;

    Sailing, Worst Case Scenario: Fire at sea.

    Most People: "****, a fire at sea would be bad. I better get the training required to deal with that."

    You: "I would never want to deal with a fire at sea. Therefore, I REFUSE to train in techniques to deal with it."

    First Aid Worst Case Scenario: Femoral Arterial bleed.

    Most people: 'Holy crap, I only have about a minute before a femoral bleed kills me? I better make sure my tourniquet training is up to par."

    You:" I would never want to have a femoral bleed. EVER. In fact, I refuse to even THINK about that situation. *fingers in ears* LALALALALALALLALALALAL"
  9. gregaquaman is offline
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,473

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:15am


     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting social experiment done recently.

    Crowd reaction to fights going to the ground
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/prank-robb...313-34nws.html

    A lot of jumping in and breaking up.

    And the kid gets punched really hard in the nose.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
  10. Andrew Lawrence is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Douglas Isle of Man
    Posts
    11

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:25am


     Style: MMA / crosstraining

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    Wait: are you operating under the assumption that all fights on the street don't exist unless there is video evidence of it? Are you operating under the assumption that there is only ever going to be one person fighting you?

    All notions that the mount is a superior position will disappear when the other people with whoever you are grappling soccer kick your head and proceed to stomp the everloving snot out of you as he picks himself up and readies the car for a getaway. You would consider yourself lucky if you wake up and remember your name, much less anything about bjj that you've learned in the last year or two.

    Seriously: don't confuse fitness and sport fighting with the potential for violence on the street. Your world (of the mat/tournament/ring) has training and rules that KEEP you from hurting each other too badly. The only limiter for street violence is how well-planned the attack on you is.

    Don't take this as a knock on grappling or bjj specifically. Some of the toughest guys I know are bjj players and grapplers. It's a valuable skillset.
    I once won a 6 against 1 street fight.............

    yeah, me and my mates kicked the **** outta that guy!

    (why do people always assume that the grappler is the one who is outnumbered?) perhaps training in a sport with a local team is a great way to prove yourself useful to a group of people who will collectively have you back when you are out about on the "streets"
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.