225332 Bullies, 4057 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 77
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. bluedevilboy76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    3/16/2014 11:46pm


     Style: kali

    -3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Yes we get it, don't have a false sense of security when it comes to your skills. However...

    1) Why do YOU assume I or anyone else apparently, doesn't have any friends? These contrived scenarios are always ending with the grappler the one getting kicked in the head. So this is an easy fix, have friends that can fight and don't go to danger prone places without them. This way it's you who is slamming people to the ground and then kicking them in the head.

    2) "Your world..." implying that your training is "street ready". Yeah...

    3) Fights are won by the dude who has a better combination of toughness, skills, physical traits, heart, and luck. Training a combat sport with hard sparring under a limited rule set is better than jerking yourself off to ways you'd fight in the "street". Just train hard to be well rounded and you'll destroy 9/10 of people who want to fight and you'll be prepared wherever the fight happens.
    1) So are you arguing that the danger of going to the ground is ameliorated by having your friends with you? Your scenario of having friends who can fight and only going to danger-prone areas while with them is what makes it contrived. If you are actively seeking out danger prone places, you are contriving a scenario. The origin of this thread is actually a critique of anti-grappling techniques presented by Luke Holloway.

    2) Please read my post again. You're projecting your own biases a little too far. Careful reading might help with that.

    3) While I agree with you up to a point, enthusiasm and effort are no guarantee of success.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,237

    Posted On:
    3/16/2014 11:58pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    ... The origin of this thread is actually a critique of anti-grappling techniques presented by Luke Holloway.

    Is that supposed to be some sort of validation?
  3. DKJr is offline
    DKJr's Avatar

    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:02am

    supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    1) So are you arguing that the danger of going to the ground is ameliorated by having your friends with you? Your scenario of having friends who can fight and only going to danger-prone areas while with them is what makes it contrived. If you are actively seeking out danger prone places, you are contriving a scenario. The origin of this thread is actually a critique of anti-grappling techniques presented by Luke Holloway.

    2) Please read my post again. You're projecting your own biases a little too far. Careful reading might help with that.

    3) While I agree with you up to a point, enthusiasm and effort are no guarantee of success.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1) I'm arguing that you're making up loaded scenarios that puts grapplers (or anyone) in a no-win situation. It's the proverbial Kobyashi-Maru. It's like if I said "Har har Kali doesn't work when faced with 3+ broadsword wielding attackers." It in no way invalidates the successful attributes of Kali or BJJ or whatever.

    2) Nobody is claiming BJJ or grappling is making you a street ready wizard, you can stop knocking over the strawman.

    3) That's nice.
  4. cualltaigh is offline
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,359

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:15am


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    1) So are you arguing that the danger of going to the ground is ameliorated by having your friends with you?
    According to you, the danger of going to the ground is that:
    the other people with whoever you are grappling soccer kick your head
    As it stands, having your own people to prevent that from happening would indeed ameliorate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    Your scenario of having friends who can fight and only going to danger-prone areas while with them is what makes it contrived.
    Said the guy who's argument included the person you were fighting escaping to a getaway car...

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    The origin of this thread is actually a critique of anti-grappling techniques presented by Luke Holloway.
    And yet you are troping out arguments against grappling in general instead of the shitty techniques of Mr. Holloway. Unless of course it's your argument that Luke's crappling was so bad that it automatically rendered thousands of years of martial arts technique and development invalid?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  5. DKJr is offline
    DKJr's Avatar

    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:18am

    supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    As it stands, having your own people to prevent that from happening would indeed ameliorate it.
    To be fair you have to have friends at all before you can have friends that can fight.
  6. bluedevilboy76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:20am


     Style: kali

    -4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Is that supposed to be some sort of validation?
    Nope. Just a statement of fact. This thread has now turned into something else.
  7. bluedevilboy76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:23am


     Style: kali

    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    And yet you are troping out arguments against grappling in general instead of the shitty techniques of Mr. Holloway. Unless of course it's your argument that Luke's crappling was so bad that it automatically rendered thousands of years of martial arts technique and development invalid?
    Actually, I'm not troping out arguments against grappling in general. I'm pointing out the simple fact that being on the ground in any situation other than a controlled training scenario or a competition is a bad idea.
  8. bluedevilboy76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:30am


     Style: kali

    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    1) I'm arguing that you're making up loaded scenarios that puts grapplers (or anyone) in a no-win situation. It's the proverbial Kobyashi-Maru. It's like if I said "Har har Kali doesn't work when faced with 3+ broadsword wielding attackers." It in no way invalidates the successful attributes of Kali or BJJ or whatever.
    What exactly is "loaded" about the thought that a fight outside of the ring or off the mat would include more than one assailant? Also, I haven't made any mention of weapons: you did.

    I'm not setting up a straw man. I'm putting forth the idea that going to the ground and advertising that as "street" is foolish.
  9. cualltaigh is offline
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,359

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:31am


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    Actually, I'm not troping out arguments against grappling in general. I'm pointing out the simple fact that being on the ground in any situation other than a controlled training scenario or a competition is a bad idea.
    So just to clarify, Luke's specific anti-grappling techniques are bad because being on the ground(grappling) in any non-sport situation is always a bad idea?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  10. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,237

    Posted On:
    3/17/2014 12:32am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    Actually, I'm not troping out arguments against grappling in general. I'm pointing out the simple fact that being on the ground in any situation other than a controlled training scenario or a competition is a bad idea.
    How else will i hide under the bed?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.