Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighting In A Phone Booth

Most of us have heard the expression " If you can't fight in a phone booth, you can't fight."
    It is a favorite of my instructor and his teaching methodology reflects this line of thought.
    Anyways, the other day I went to see that movie Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, who portrays a Federal Air Marshall in this somewhat predictable, but entertaining suspense drama.
    Low and behold, there is a scene in this movie that captures the essence of the phone booth-fighting philosophy as well as any other I've seen. Instead of a phone booth, the well-choreographed scrap takes place in an airplane restroom, and we all know how matchbox-like those things are.
    Can't track down any excerpts online as the film is still in theaters, but I just wanted to make mention of it because its pretty cool.
    If anyone knows of similar scenes that are well-done, feel free to post then up here.
    Remember this is not intended as just another ' favorite movie fights thread' , lord knows we have enough of them floating around. Stick to the fighting within very narrow confines idea plz.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, if you can't fight in 1992, you can't fight? Because that's the last time I remember seeing a phone booth IRL. Ironically, there were people fighting in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All styles work inside the TARDIS, it's bigger than it looks on the outside!

Wong Fei Hung was (according to folk legend), a master of fighting in narrow spaces.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, if you can't fight in 1992, you can't fight? Because that's the last time I remember seeing a phone booth IRL. Ironically, there were people fighting in it.
    That's a good point.lol
    Never even thought of that.
    There aren't many around anymore, most pay phones today are of the free-standing variety. Although you still see the odd one around. Usually along smaller highways or at gas stations in rural areas.
    There used to be a couple at the major intersection downtown here in London, but they replaced them with the free-standing version a couple of years ago.
    What is Clark Kent going to do now ??
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its weird, because if you were forced to fight in a phone booth, the best tactic would probably be a choke (possibly with a duck under), or smashing their head against the wall (possibly w/ thumbs to eyes, or smash-duckunder-choke), which are 2 things that the sort of traditional arts that use the fight-in-a-phone-booth phrase rarely if ever train.

I appreciate the general sentiment that you should learn to make your movements just big enough, and to move from the core so you don't have to swing your limbs around so much.

Just recently when a guy came to test his takedown defense, I pushed him against a padded wall to set up a throw, and decided that was a pretty good thing to have for SD purposes. I'd imagine in a phone booth if you loaded someone into a hip throw, they'd probably hit their face on the opposite wall before going down all the way, then land on the head and neck cause the walls wouldn't let their legs swing over to a safe fall. So, wall-assisted hip throw would probably **** someone up in a phone booth REALLY bad, then you could jump up and down on them like a trampoline with the walls for support. Again, I've never seen that sort of thing in fight-in-a-phone-booth style.

I remember John Perkins of Attack Proof was an advocate of the phone booth mental device.
    Last edited by Permalost; 3/15/2014 4:03pm at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chunner thread hijack is inevitable. Stay frosty.

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 4:35pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Chunner thread hijack is inevitable. Stay frosty.

Man, that's some taught-them-wrong-as-a-joke stance for Phone Booth Combat. Like, do the opposite of all of that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a fight in a phone booth once. I lost...never got my quarter back.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 12, and what's a phone booth?

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 5:57pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't fight while hanging off the rail of a crowded streetcar, you can't really fight.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast