Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kyokushin leg kicks

Lots of drills, then at 42 minutes a couple minutes of examples of leg attacks used in tournaments. Then some filler followed by some great sparring. In KK we attacked and swept and grabbed legs - it's been frustrating to be in schools where these techniques are not allowed. In two Kempo schools I was told, "Don't grab the pants!" I'm like, why the **** not? But left this unsaid.

I have found that styles that don't attack the legs are candy for those of us who use these techniques. My fave is right leg roundhouse to opponent's left leg, followed by left roundhouse or knee to the gut. Once they are off balance the left often dumps them or keeps them off balance. And an opponent can't hit when they are off balance.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 3/14/2014 8:17pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2014 7:05pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm always amazed at how many schools ignore or disallow leg kicks. Once you've trained with them it becomes apparent how silly they are to ignore. The class I teach tends to end with the group doing basically a round-robin of this set of drills from Cameron Quinn shihan:

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2014 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Shihan Quinn says about taking the blow with the right angle is something that is really important. It only comes through doing these drills. Some of "conditioning" is getting familiar with the safest and most comrfortable body position as you get hit. I used to wonder why they'd keep hitting each other in the legs. They didn't explain, but it was obvious when standing in the corner having the body worked over by punches - at first I thought I'd be hurt but the bb knew how hard to go and after a couple weeks he was going much harder, with less impact. Learned to take hard body shots and like leg attacks, I've wished other styles did that type of training. And I wish it had been explained the way Shihan Quinn does, but in my KK training it was often, "Try hard, don't worry about getting it wrong, keep working hard and you'll get it." While we did have one shin broken in class, like Silva, the practice of getting hit lessons that danger and as seen in this video, works well, specially against Glaube Feitosa .
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 3/17/2014 4:32pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/17/2014 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha View Post
    I'm always amazed at how many schools ignore or disallow leg kicks. Once you've trained with them it becomes apparent how silly they are to ignore.
    Yeah, but lots of schools teach snappy instep tag kicks with little hip action, and such kicks are fairly harmless when aimed at the legs, so I kinda get why some doubt them.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2014 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True that, but why has the obvious benefits shown by Kyokushin, BJJ, Judo, MMA, UFC, Muay Thai etc etc been ignored by so many?? Well I guess that is why we are on Bullshido? Here is a video, from the above mostly, just of techniques; they call it gedan mawashi geri, low roundhouse, but it essentially is very similar to BJJ and Judo leg sweeps, including the base foot position. I have to agree with Bluming, why didn't Oyama add some more throws and ground and make KK a more complete art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2014 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I deal with that by training a couple days a week with a judo teacher with a wrestling background. They're very easy to find in the midwest.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    True that, but why has the obvious benefits shown by Kyokushin, BJJ, Judo, MMA, UFC, Muay Thai etc etc been ignored by so many??
    Besides the leg flick kicking dynamics, some East Asian striking arts use a very sideways stance (TKD, competitive silat). If you try leg kicks from this stance, you'll find that your lead leg kick is weak due to little hip action, and your back leg is even more wound up than a square stance so it'll take even longer to kick. So, I'll bet people who try to throw leg kicks from a traditional stance find it too weak or too telegraphed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2014 9:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure he did, but an unfortunate focus on tournaments has meant that a lot of that has been lost.

Edit : @patfromlogan

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 6:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvers_ghost View Post
    I'm pretty sure he did, but an unfortunate focus on tournaments has meant that a lot of that has been lost.

Edit : @patfromlogan
    Bluming writes that he tried to get Oyama interested in more throws and ground but Sosai resisted that, back in the 50's.

This has some great leg 'KO's' mixed in with those high kicks (that also seem useful) and body punch fight enders. Good tournie footage, showing a lot more than KO highlights, but not exactly on topic, but wtf, since I've been looking at KK videos, I'm hooked! And damn, it those are some HARD punches.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMgPDUGYUs#t=55

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 7:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And one of my favorites, the second one at about 4 seconds in, Andy Hug ends a fight with one leg kick, this one hurts to watch. I'm going to post this on the Do high kicks work or useful thread too, some beauties here. But the leg kick Andy pulls off is a classic move, what power and timing. I had this done to me recently in Hawaii and the opponent apologized all over the place, saying he didn't mean to go so low, but his heel in my thigh stopped me for a minute or two.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast