Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: Hello

Style
    American Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello

Just wanted to pop in for a quick introduction. I've been in martial arts since I was about 6 years old and hold ranks in several systems, mostly intermediate ranks in traditional systems, but I do hold a 3rd Dan as well as a 1st Dan in separate American Karate systems.
    I left martial arts in my early 20's after a nasty divorce and became a partier for a very long time. I was out for about 15 years before coming back, was out another 2 years after an injury followed by a marriage, a new baby and a move to NC from FL and then resumed training again a year ago. I recently received my second Black Belt and am in the early stages of opening my own school.
    I am a Christian and will be running my new school as a Christian based program. I know this is where many people will be moved to insert "McDojo" comment, but I have a passion for martial arts and believe in training for and teaching effective combat principles. I am mostly a stand-up fighter with enough experience to handle myself on the ground - fighting not grappling. I need to take some classes to improve that aspect of my fighting and will plan on doing so in the not to distant future.
    Anyway, just trying to get plugged in and learn as much as I can. This looked like a cool forum.

Thanks

Style
    American Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to meet all of you as well.

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum; a few questions, if you'll humor me.

Quote Originally Posted by karaterick View Post
    I am mostly a stand-up fighter with enough experience to handle myself on the ground - fighting not grappling.
    Out of curiosity, what is your experience with ground work? Also, I'm a little curious what you mean when you distinguish between "fighting" and "grappling" -- do you mean to indicate the presence of strikes in the former?

I am a Christian and will be running my new school as a Christian based program.
    What are the implications of a Christianity-based Karate curriculum? I'm not trying to demean you or your faith, I'm legitimately just interested to hear what you had in mind.

Thank you, and welcome once again!

Style
    American Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Welcome to the forum; a few questions, if you'll humor me.

Out of curiosity, what is your experience with ground work? Also, I'm a little curious what you mean when you distinguish between "fighting" and "grappling" -- do you mean to indicate the presence of strikes in the former?

What are the implications of a Christianity-based Karate curriculum? I'm not trying to demean you or your faith, I'm legitimately just interested to hear what you had in mind.

Thank you, and welcome once again!

Hi Hadzu, Thanks for responding. To answer your first question -

I guess I can probably best answer that as I'm am by no means a "Sport Grappler" or "grappling" expert, but that I am relatively competent at defending myself on the ground via striking, joint manipulation ect. I guess in short, I wouldn't win a BJJ contest against anyone with much experience, but I'm not a typical TKD guy who's "done for" as soon as the fight goes to the ground.

As far as the Christian aspect of my philosophy goes it's primarily just recognizing God in everything we do, abstaining from eastern religious elements of traditional martial arts and trying to teach and encourage strong moral values in my students. Not unlike many other other martial arts schools do, but with the context being Biblically based and so forth.
    I will also, as part of my curriculum for example, require a certain number of community service hours be performed for every rank advancement. That meaning that my students will give of themselves and their time to serve others and their community. I will also teach restraint to any degree possible in self-defense situations.
    I have categorized "self-defense" scenarios into tiers:
    Avoid - tools to avoid potential conflicts
    Evade - How to evade an attacker without resorting to conflict
    Defend and Evade - An example would be block an incoming strike and escape to safety
    Defend - neutralize an attacker without inflicting undue injury -then escape to safety
    Counter - Counter attack -Neutralize attacker
    Preemptive Strike - Best defense is a good offense

Each Tier being based on different situations and levels of endangerment and requiring different tools and techniques.
    Of course a lot more in depth than I've shared, but wanted to briefly explain where I was coming from.

I hope that helped answer your questions. If not, please don't hesitate to ask more questions. I would be happy to get more detailed.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a Christian and will be running my new school as a Christian based program.
    Welcome to Bullshido; Kick ass for Christ.
    I know this is where many people will be moved to insert "McDojo" comment, but I have a passion for martial arts and believe in training for and teaching effective
    We have to be nice here in Newbietown so it may not happen. At any rate, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Christ didn't like fighting. But he loved to give people peace, so I think he would have been a grappler and gone for blood chokes.

Or, as the ancient Hebrews called it "old Painless".

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Christ didn't like fighting. But he loved to give people peace, so I think he would have been a grappler and gone for blood chokes.

Or, as the ancient Hebrews called it "old Painless".
    According to the Gospel of Biff Joshua's (Jesus's real name or if you want to say it in in Hebrew Yĕhsha'):

Josh spent 19 years searching out the 3 wise men who came to his birth. The second wise man was actually a kung fu master who taught Josh the passive kung-fu he named in honor of Josh called "Jew Tao". Every year for his birthday they would go out for Chinese food. A tradition they still observe today.

It's all documented here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb:_T..._Childhood_Pal

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [...] I am relatively competent at defending myself on the ground via striking, joint manipulation ect. I guess in short, I wouldn't win a BJJ contest against anyone with much experience, but I'm not a typical TKD guy who's "done for" as soon as the fight goes to the ground.
    That typical TKD guy also thinks that, while he's not going to win a BJJ competition, he'd do OK using striking, joint manipulation, etc. if it came down to it.

Style
    American Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    That typical TKD guy also thinks that, while he's not going to win a BJJ competition, he'd do OK using striking, joint manipulation, etc. if it came down to it.
    This is most probably true. Before I became a practicing Christian I wasn't exactly a peaceful person. I have been in my share of fights, mostly in the form of barroom brawls. I certainly have learned to a degree what does and doesn't work and wouldn't suggest I can hold my own on the ground if I didn't know it to be true.
    I also know that in the "real world" you are seldom in a fight against someone who is alone and often on hard surfaces, sometimes in cramped spaces and quite possibly on asphalt, rocks, broken glass ect. So while I believe that it is prudent to understand ground fighting it is simply not my first choice.
    That being said, I have all of the respect in the world for grapplers, mma fighters and for that matter TKD guys. It's really less about the art and much more about the teacher and the student. Any style can be extremely effective if understood and executed properly. Although I guess I prescribe to the Bruce Lee philosophy to absorb what is useful and discard what is useless. I think everyone is best served to cross train and determine for themselves what to keep and what to discard.
    I have know and trained with some great fighters in many different styles and conversely many horrible fighters from many different styles.
    I myself don't know everything (obviously) and will never stop learning and trying to improve. Right now, I'm just excited for the opportunity to do what I love and help others along the way.

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I can probably best answer that as I'm am by no means a "Sport Grappler" or "grappling" expert, but that I am relatively competent at defending myself on the ground via striking, joint manipulation ect. I guess in short, I wouldn't win a BJJ contest against anyone with much experience, but I'm not a typical TKD guy who's "done for" as soon as the fight goes to the ground.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

What previous experience indicates that you are relatively competent on the ground?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last