What's up everyone---

I've been reading this site for a couple years now-- it's the first place I go when I want to find if something/someone in the MA are legit.

I figured I should register and introduce myself, maybe contribute a little after I've gotten so much from this site.

A little about me:

Studied Goju Ryu Karate from age 3 to age 13, got my "baby blackbelt" (Shonenbu Shodan). If anything it gave me great ukemi and made me less scared to take a hit.

Took a big break from martial arts through high school.

In college I spent a little time training in the Bujinkan, left promptly because I have no idea how I would use it in a real fight and although I met some guys in that org that could definitely move, and wearing tabi felt really gangster at the time, I found the whole thing to not be my style as even in my Krotty classes we sparred (i wouldn't say hard but "briskly"). I'd say this was my "believer" time�full disclosure i bought a tactical flashlight :(

Then I found this site, did a little reading...

I trained Muay Thai at The Arena MMA in San Diego for a year or two in college, was exposed to Krabi Krabong and ended up loving the stick and blade work. I kind of enjoyed muay thai, cool gym, cool coaches. Left for financial reasons.

Tried Chen Style Tai Chi, got bored, although it fixed my posture.

Fast forward to now. The blades and sticks that intrigued me brought me to the FMA. In my search for the best of the best in San Diego, I found the Kali Ilustrisimo guys, training now under Brandon Ricketts, son of the late Master Topher Ricketts (Rest in Peace). I really enjoy the teaching style because of the huge emphasis on pressure testing and sparring. Really happy right now with my weapons training, and have found that the curriculum is very usable in sparring (i.e. the stuff we drill doesn't just fall apart in sparring and become a whack fest).

I'm considering cross training in Judo or BJJ as San Diego has good gyms in both styles, but I'd like to get a better hold on the footwork / movements in Kali Ilustrisimo before I start confusing myself. I tend to bite off more than I can chew with that stuff.

Anyway, that's me. You may see around if there's a situation where i can share something worthwhile.

Saludos