Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 12:19pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    The conventional wisdom is that the judo student will be better standing and the BJJ student better on the ground. Even in the case where the judoka is strong on the ground or the BJJ student strong standing, they will be different due to the different rulesets they fight under. A throw or a pin can end the fight in judo but not in BJJ, they just score points. Conversely points are awarded in BJJ for things judoka don't pay much attention to. BJJ allows a lot of time to make something happen on the ground. Judo players have to show continuous progress. BJJ players pull guard from standing routinely. We never train this in judo, it's a penalty. Etc etc. There are many commonalities between the two but the focus is different.
    My Judo coach (who also coaches BJJ) says something along that line: techniques are similar (if not identical) but the different goals in the rule-sets mean the focus of training changes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 5:13am

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    The conventional wisdom is that the judo student will be better standing and the BJJ student better on the ground. Even in the case where the judoka is strong on the ground or the BJJ student strong standing, they will be different due to the different rulesets they fight under. A throw or a pin can end the fight in judo but not in BJJ, they just score points. Conversely points are awarded in BJJ for things judoka don't pay much attention to. BJJ allows a lot of time to make something happen on the ground. Judo players have to show continuous progress. BJJ players pull guard from standing routinely. We never train this in judo, it's a penalty. Etc etc. There are many commonalities between the two but the focus is different.
    What would you say are the practical differences between BJJ and Judo outside of a sports context? Like, as martial art mostly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 10:33am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    What would you say are the practical differences between BJJ and Judo outside of a sports context? Like, as martial art mostly?
    Its difficult to magically remove the two from their competition rule-set, as those rules strongly influence how the two are trained. I would say that as "in the mean streets" martial arts they give the same general advantage: take downs, clinch and ground grappling, and submissions. The "self defense" portion of BJJ has always looked a lot like Judo's Goshin Jitsu (self defense) kata to me. Judo has more Japanese culture and (depending on the dojo) formality if you are into that. BJJ (in my experience) is a little more laid back a training environment. In the end, most effective grappling looks pretty similar to other effective grappling.

I ended up with Judo because it was cheaper, closer, and I felt really comfortable with the people I trained with. So if you don't know what you want to do for sure take some of the recommendations here, try some clubs and schools (most places have trial lessons) and go with where you feel most comfortable.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having done both, I would say with Judo your going to feel more comfortable with your ability to stay standing. Your less likely to get tripped, thrown, or knocked down.
    You can dump someone onto the ground and run away probably a bit easier than your average BJJ player. Oh and Judo tends to have a lot more conditioning than BJJ.

A BJJ person on the other hand has the advantage of well being comfortable in some very bad positions to be in on the ground. They are also as a result more able to get themselves up off of the ground and run away.

Both arts include each others elements though. So a Judo guy that ends up being mounted in a street fight still has a fairly damn decent chance at escaping it and the BJJ guy does have training in take downs and take down defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like I need to learn both now. Kenya has a Judo sports scene, no idea how decent or otherwise it is. But for now I'll use Teh DE3RdLy aHkEEDO for streets...lol, I'm kidding. But I feel comfortable grappling on the ground, as my stand up is mainly Muay Thai strikes, which also needs some re-training. But I'd love to do standing throws...I'll see if I can do Judo and BJJ. Combined with some Muay Thai, my overall game should be well rounded. But I'd like to fully go into one art only, a grappling art. A man who chases two dinners always goes hungry.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like I need to learn both now. Kenya has a Judo sports scene, no idea how decent or otherwise it is. But for now I'll use Teh DE3RdLy aHkEEDO for streets...lol, I'm kidding. But I feel comfortable grappling on the ground, as my stand up is mainly Muay Thai strikes, which also needs some re-training. But I'd love to do standing throws...I'll see if I can do Judo and BJJ. Combined with some Muay Thai, my overall game should be well rounded. But I'd like to fully go into one art only, a grappling art. A man who chases two dinners always goes hungry.
    Judo and BJJ go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Judo and BJJ go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.
    That sounds disgusting, how would you even eat that? Make the jelly then dump a spoon full of peanut butter on it? Are you saying I should just stick to one of the two?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    In USA jelly = jam

P-nut butter and jam sandwiches are pretty tasty
    ow....I get it now, sorry, my bad. Jelly here is fruit flavored gelatine eaten as a dessert at functions. My bad again. So jam and peanut sandwich, I guess that means Goodlun is saying I should do BOTH bjj and judo. That's cool.

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 6:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mixed Martial Arts

You can give a try to MMA if you want to learn different forms of martial arts. Not even you will get to know about different techniques but also become physically strong.

In this way you will be able to know the different forms and can continue by selecting any one or more forms.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456