Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 3:46pm

Style: Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Not if you stop before you see spots, and don't tie it higher than your head, or at least use an experienced spotter.

Oh, wait, we were still talking about skipping rope, weren't we?
    David Carradine has the real Rope skillz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 5:19pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Skipping rope is an exercise. chi sao is purported to be a drill to develop fighting skill.

Take boxing twice a week for a year, and you'll know how to fight. Chun twice a week for a year, and you will know how to do drills with other chunners.

Take boxing twice a week for ten years, you'll be someone that almost nobody wants to fight. Chun twice a week for ten years, and you'll occasionally boast on the Internet about beating a n00b at chun drills.
    As a CMA student, I can attest to this. Though I don't do Wing Chun, there is the conceit of CMA, and that is that when you feel you're a good fighter, you might be, but only against people who do the same thing you do. It's not BAD, it just means that you are being pigeon holed. I firmly believe that chi sao has its uses, as does sparring, but one without the other can be especially dangerous. You can guess which one. However, I think the chun bashing should go to another thread, if it's going to continue.

Also, how did I know that as soon as "jump rope" became part of the conversation that there would be a David Carradine joke mixed in? I mean, come on! What has the internet done to me?

EDIT: Just to add to the OP's question, all I have to say is this: DO WHAT YOU WANT, DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU WANT TO HAVE. My advice consists of this and only this: empty your cup. Act like you don't know anything. Accept, don't expect. You'll have a better time finding a good school/gym/teacher that way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 5:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    I firmly believe that chi sao has its uses, as does sparring, but one without the other can be especially dangerous. .
    There are thousands of of arts that never chi sao and it doesn't lead to anything dangerous. I hope you meant something different because this equivocation is quite bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sent you a private message about your comment. Suffice to say, I made a mistake in my typing, which appears to have resulted in a misunderstanding. Hopefully everyone will re-read my post after seeing this comment.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    I sent you a private message about your comment. Suffice to say, I made a mistake in my typing, which appears to have resulted in a misunderstanding. Hopefully everyone will re-read my post after seeing this comment.
    This is a completely different tone than your private message. Interesting.

Also, YMAS, go read the description.

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The preponderance of evidence suggests that chi sao is more or less worthless, sparring on the other hand...

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:46pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, to save time and further private messages:

The Martial Arts General Discussion and Comedy forum. Take the gloves off and grammatically beat on each other and dead horses such as Style vs. Style, Chi, Ashida Kim, George Dillman, and related, retarded discussions. Lightly moderated, for blatantly obvious idiocy and NSFW or illegal content.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I tried. This is where it got me. Guess the internet hasn't gotten to me enough yet; can't give the benefit of the doubt to anyone. I'll be watching Master Wong Wing Chun videos if anyone wants me.

I'd pay $3 to listen to him read off a paragraph consisting of "YOU WOT M8 IW FAK YOU UP I SWER ON ME MUM." This dude is hilarious. I know you know, I used the search function.

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 10:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriakh View Post
    Neil, you are saying that Judo and BJJ students do not end up in the same place. What are the differences between these two styles? What does a Judo student get vs a BJJ student, and vice-versa?
    It is a more complicated answer than bjj gives more skills from the ground and judo more stand up.

But they are different arts and have different focus. So they take better advantage of different situations.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 12:31am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriakh View Post
    Neil, you are saying that Judo and BJJ students do not end up in the same place. What are the differences between these two styles? What does a Judo student get vs a BJJ student, and vice-versa?
    The conventional wisdom is that the judo student will be better standing and the BJJ student better on the ground. Even in the case where the judoka is strong on the ground or the BJJ student strong standing, they will be different due to the different rulesets they fight under. A throw or a pin can end the fight in judo but not in BJJ, they just score points. Conversely points are awarded in BJJ for things judoka don't pay much attention to. BJJ allows a lot of time to make something happen on the ground. Judo players have to show continuous progress. BJJ players pull guard from standing routinely. We never train this in judo, it's a penalty. Etc etc. There are many commonalities between the two but the focus is different.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast