Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 5:46pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    I wouldn't know. I haven't polled the chunners of the world to get a an accurate figure.

To me personally, not really. But the video misrepresents a martial art form in an attempt to poke fun at it. Just like the "wing chun sucks" video series does.

Chi Sao appears like patty cake because you don't understand it so you make fun of it. Grappling appears homo erotic to people who don't realize the combat applications.
    Chi Sao is patty cake. It doesn't work against someone not activiely trapping with you... like patty cake doesn't work unless someone else is playing with you.

You can box someone who is not trying to box with you. You can kick them. You can wrestle them. You can judo throw them. You can work your BJJ or any other grappling system on them. But you can't fucking chi sao them.

There are videos of guys who tried to chun in the cage, none are good. If you're going to insist it does work, go ahead and provide some evidence. Otherwise you're just shitting up the thread with more of your nonsense.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    BJJ just "Looks Gay", to Noobs.

I cannot understand how the hell someone could see two guys trying to choke each other out, dislocate joints, etc, and think "sex" Violence and sex are related allright, but grappling just isn't that hard to read for what it is. Not unless somebody is yelling "do me" or something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 9:38pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriakh View Post
    I was looking through what I actually have in my area. Would you say that nova uniao would be a good choice? I don't know much about it, but it seems the most legit thing around. I live in the KC area.

The schools you are referring to are all a part of Leo Pecchana's group and they are very legit. I am not sure which one you are looking at, but they are all very good. I am from the area as well, though I don't train with Leo's group. If you are looking at something along the lines of Judo or Sambo, I train at Welcome Mat Elite over in the Leawood area and they are highly repsected in the area for Judo and Sambo. I also train BJJ, but I am from Pedro Sauer lineage.

Where are you located? There are some very good options in the area.

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 10:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am located in Lawrence - I would prefer to stay in Lawrence just because the drive could be a pain, but if need be I'm open to going near KC. Also Topeka would likely be okay with me.

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input guys. This helps me to at least get a good handle on what I should be starting. I am curious though - what are your thoughts on something like yoga? I realize it isn't a combat form, but I'm wondering if you consider a worthwhile addition to your training.
    Yoga is great, well it depends on the type of yoga. I don't know if their is a "bad" type of yoga I just know their are dozens of types. I just got done doing a 30 day yoga challenge. I will probably do another one here shorty since I am currently not training. Anything that builds your core is going to be good. Look at Pilates as well.

As far as MAs go I suggest starting with grappling either Judo or BJJ. Between the two I prefer BJJ but I am kind of a lazy wuss.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 10:51pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never have I seen so much fail in one thread. It's quite obvious Yellow Bamboo is the way to go.
    安氏八极拳学生

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input guys. This helps me to at least get a good handle on what I should be starting. I am curious though - what are your thoughts on something like yoga? I realize it isn't a combat form, but I'm wondering if you consider a worthwhile addition to your training.
    Yoga is great for flexibility, relaxation, and meeting women. But who has time for everything? Job, family and friends, MA training and the gym, and necessary biological functions pretty much eat up all of mine.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 3/09/2014 11:17pm at .

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    Ohh come on, not the everybody wang chung tonight one?

That's ok, hey look I can post humorous videos making fun of other martial arts too.

But are you going to take the time out to compile your own?

That takes some dedication.

Anyway go to a throwdown,dominate a competition. Video some sparring. And then you will get taken more seriously.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 3/10/2014 12:07am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 11:33am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do yoga for flexibility and to prevent injury while grappling. Now I don't, anymore, but still do it occasionally, just for waking up in the morning.

If I remember correctly, there actually was an article series on yoga for martial artists in some MMA magazine back in 2009 (Fighters Only? I believe so...) so the idea is not too far out...

What Yoga will teach you (or, rather, what yoga taught me) that have merit in fighting, is to breathe. Breathing is really important and not least for the grappling arts, and the breathing I learned in Yoga has helped me a lot while doing BJJ.

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 11:52am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stephan Kesting over at Grapplearts.com (He's a BJJ guy) has a Yoga DVD out now aimed at martial arty types.

A couple of the routines are available to try out free either on his site, or on the youtubez.

The flat tone (I guess for relaxation purposes) of the lady's voice can be a bit grating for my taste, but otherwise seems great to me. Good looking yoga workouts targeted at specific areas. She does it the full-on way, while Stephan does the slightly easier versions next to her.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast