Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 12:33pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    For grappling I'd say judo if you're lower on cash or if you can afford it BJJ is a technically easier place to start, but both arts will generally end up at the same place after the learning curve evens out.

Whatever you decide good luck to you.
    Can I just ask what you mean by "BJJ is technically easier" than Judo? I don't say that you are wrong, just that the quote sort of intrigues me. I love both Judo and BJJ (and train both), but I don't really see it?

Sorry if I de-rail the discussion, just wanted some clarification. (Do you do any grappling yourself, wingchunx2z?)

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 12:43pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:16pm

Style: Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Can I just ask what you mean by "BJJ is technically easier" than Judo? I don't say that you are wrong, just that the quote sort of intrigues me. I love both Judo and BJJ (and train both), but I don't really see it?

Sorry if I de-rail the discussion, just wanted some clarification. (Do you do any grappling yourself, wingchunx2z?)
    Well from my perspective and having spoken with representatives of each, Judo has a higher learning curve and requires more of a beating to get down. In fact, the first few weeks you're really going to take some bruises just learning how to fall correctly.

After that, It seems to be much more difficult to master the standing throws than the ground maneuvers of BJJ.

I believe this is most likely do to the aspects of grip fighting and off balancing that's required in judo where as BJJ it's much easier to accomplish from the ground since you're already so close to each other.

All in all I personally find that the hardest I have to work in a class is during wrestling. Then Muay Thai, then Judo, then BJJ.

Keep in mind though, Despite having been exposed t it and doing several club classes and lessons from ppl at meet ups and events. I've only recently started taking Judo in a curriculum style format and after my second class I've had to take a break as a I injured my hip.

You can certainly play an aggressive competition style of BJJ but it's nature of guard work and "wait for the right opportunity to go" approach gives you the option of playing in a much more relaxed and less energy expending way than Judo or Sambo groundwork.

It's my opinion that if you take two normal semi athletic people and stick one in BJJ and one in Judo. After 6 months of training The BJJ will most likely be able to actually perform more of what he's been training than the Judo guy. It seems to require longer and more work for Judo to get the same results.

To answer your question on the grappling thing, yes I also train grappling. My wing chun school moved much farther out than it was and so I've had to break up my training more and the BJJ school is alot closer to me.

I do a lot of wing chun stuff in open mat though, and then take that back to Sifu to help polish and fix my errors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:25pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Ohh come on, not the everybody wang chung tonight one?

That's ok, hey look I can post humorous videos making fun of other martial arts too.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohh come on, not the everybody wang chung tonight one?

That's ok, hey look I can post humorous videos making fun of other martial arts too.

So "being gay" is a negative according to your world view? Is Homophobia common among Chunners?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:44pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So "being gay" is a negative according to your world view? Is Homophobia common among Chunners?
    I wouldn't know. I haven't polled the chunners of the world to get a an accurate figure.

To me personally, not really. But the video misrepresents a martial art form in an attempt to poke fun at it. Just like the "wing chun sucks" video series does.

Chi Sao appears like patty cake because you don't understand it so you make fun of it. Grappling appears homo erotic to people who don't realize the combat applications.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 1:45pm

Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind though, Despite having been exposed t it and doing several club classes and lessons from ppl at meet ups and events. I've only recently started taking Judo in a curriculum style format and after my second class I've had to take a break as a I injured my hip.

You can certainly play an aggressive competition style of BJJ but it's nature of guard work and "wait for the right opportunity to go" approach gives you the option of playing in a much more relaxed and less energy expending way than Judo or Sambo groundwork.
    OK...

I just recently started with Judo. I am blind, and others in the group have other disabilities, so it might change how they teach it.

I did BJJ for some five years before that. (And some other grappling before that...) And I just found it _very_ similar on the mat, although Judo had a different "guard" game (and much tougher pins, probably due to the way points are scored).

But that is just my experience. And yours, obviously, is very different.

My old BJJ teacher had a high belt (brown or black?) in Judo as well, so it is very possible that my BJJ was influenced by that. Takedowns certainly feels similar, even though actual throws are new to me.

It is certainly possible that the similarities will dissapear when I get further into Judo...

To the OP - don't read this as a critique. I hope that you'll find a good school, whatever you choose to do. But if I could relive my life, I would probably start my MA training with Judo, since it is relatively cheap, easily available and easily one of the arts with more legit clubs than most others.

I started with Boxing (Hi, Rene...) and it is a legit art, as well. It is probably easy to find a good gym almost everywhere and the workout is great.

FWIW.

Not flashy. And I know how boring I sound. But... Yeah.

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input guys. This helps me to at least get a good handle on what I should be starting. I am curious though - what are your thoughts on something like yoga? I realize it isn't a combat form, but I'm wondering if you consider a worthwhile addition to your training.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 5:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ just "Looks Gay", to Noobs.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/09/2014 5:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 5:41pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriakh View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. This helps me to at least get a good handle on what I should be starting. I am curious though - what are your thoughts on something like yoga? I realize it isn't a combat form, but I'm wondering if you consider a worthwhile addition to your training.
    Yoga is great for overall flexability. I used to his yoga classes once a week, mostly because they were filled with hot girls, but to help with my back and shoulder flexability as well. But ultimately an hour long class was just too borning for me and I quit. But still keep some of the back and shoulder stretches in my warm up and cool down routine.

If you can do it, go for it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast