Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So how DO you do it?

We've all seen claims from several people who state that they have created their own martial art/system. Some of them are complete bullshit, some of them are legit.

What I've always wondered is: how do you legitimize an art that you develop? Is it similar to the peer review process in academics? Are there accrediting or policing associations that verify your art is legit? Are there agencies within specific arts that declare a style/school is legit?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 10:36pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Compete. Win. Profit!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 10:42pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is a question for Omega.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I think this is a question for Omega.
    I agree. Maybe he'll see the thread and answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 11:55pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest th immature part of me noticed the word "DO it" in the thread title and had a completely different idea of what the thread would be about... Which in that case, Heads down, arse up.

Though on topic, I've been wondering the same thing. Would like to some day turn my karate training and use it to make a full contact hybrid of it. Still to the point that we are using the Karate moves and not changing it into kickboxing but doing it with full contact. Probably a pipe dream as I doubt my skills will ever be good enough to do such a thing but one can only aim and hope.

See how this all plays out.

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 9:05am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    What I've always wondered is: how do you legitimize an art that you develop? Is it similar to the peer review process in academics? Are there accrediting or policing associations that verify your art is legit? Are there agencies within specific arts that declare a style/school is legit?
    In my case, what I taught as a FMA had evolved and was very different from what my guro had taught me (as was his different from what he was originally taught). In fact it was sufficiently different, that when it came time to rank some of my students, I felt I was obligated to declare it to be a different/new style.

In terms of legitimacy, I formally asked my guro for his blessing, and he enthusiastically supported my decision. Outside of that, the style sinks or swims based on its own merits - I'm not very good at networking and promotion, and have zero interest in belonging to any associations, so it's all by word of mouth and the reputations that my students and I build.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 2:10pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The self-made systems that make the most sense to me are the ones where the creator has lot of experience in multiple systems and combines everything they have learned into their own system/style and teach that. Examples include: Benny the Jet, Chuck Norris, Erik Paulson.

Chili Pepper's point holds water too. I mean, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Judo (which was once Kano Ju Jitsu) and many other systems are just named for the guys who taught the style. If it is effective it sticks around.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2014 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's how you do it:

I'll admit I didn't actually read the question, though.

Here's how you do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyOSDbFFFo

I'll admit I didn't actually read the question, though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2014 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    We've all seen claims from several people who state that they have created their own martial art/system. Some of them are complete bullshit, some of them are legit.

Legitimacy is kind of in the eye of the beholder, but I'd say it comes down to the rationale behind the "new" style.

One of the most impressive examples I can think of was a system founded in the '70s and '80s by Dr. William Paul, a clinical psychologist, judo 5th dan and CMA expert. Paul's system was a specifically nonviolent method of self-defense, balance control and safe restraint. It was designed for psychiatric workers who were professionally and ethically required to use minimal force in restraining people who were not responsible for their own actions.

What he developed - a combination of numerous original drills with basic CMA partner work and modified judo, plus skillful applied conflict resolution tactics - was legitimized by effectively fulfilling the niche it was designed for. I think much the same can be said for other "new" styles, whether they're designed for sport, recreation etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2014 5:37am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One could argue that any new style is "merely" a personal implementation or personal application of techniques and methods gathered, yes?

It seems unlikely for anyone to come up with a "system" or new "art" in a complete vacuum.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast