Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 4:53am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    NO ****, now go do what I said, and report back what your CNS tells you.

What you said was stupid.
    Nope, you're the one saying stupid things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 8:16am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, I am splitting hairs. Jake allows cross training, he respects sport arts, the school spars and the kung fu is a "mish mash" like Dale stated. Hell a **** ton is bullshido as discussed in another thread and the document posted by Rabbit.

If you want to call him bullshido, crap, no real kung fu and just about anything else I'm cool. Hilariously bad is way lower than what he shows. I've seen MUCH WORSE than what he showed in any of his videos. It's sad because he was a young cat, with a good college career going on, when he got swept up in the bullshit.
    So would you say, he's good at what he's doing, but what he's doing isn't very good?

I've watched his vids before and even dowloaded a few to watch for when I'm away without an internet connection and didn't find him too bad. Though I don't know enough about Kung Fu to tell whether his forms were wrong and the such but he did seem to know what he was doing and I should imagine if he'd hadn't had gotten caught up in the shite your talking about and picked a more legit martial art, we'd probably not be sat her calling him bullshido.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jake has Chop Suey Martial Arts. I am not going to call what he does Kung Fu.

Martial Arts yes, Kung Fu no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 12:32pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mor Sao View Post
    The slots help reduce the strikes and soften the impact. You do not want to strike immovable things as the risk of having that shock return to your CNS and cause issues is real.
    Please explain what you mean. Are you referring to another CNS, because IsThisRight is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisRight? View Post
    I understand the concept of energy being transferred into the movement of the object you are striking rather than being transformed into the deformation of cartilage, bones and tendons. But how is the "shock" returning to the CNS a main issue, or even an issue at all?

CNS is the brain and spinal cord, pretty sheltered from impacts on the periphery of the body. For the CNS to be damaged you from striking an object with a fist you would expect fractures along the bones of the hand, forearm, upper arm, shoulder blade, collar bone +/- the spine as the energy would need to travel to the CNS somehow and as muscle/soft tissue is deformable the energy would be absorbed as deformation of the structure before it could be transmitted that far.

Mr. Dugas, do you mean that it's possible to have a heavy concussion punching an immovable thing? Or are you implying broken bones that will reach all the way to the spine?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    That is the peripheral nervous system.
    Is correct. +1

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 12:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there is this:

"In "central sensitization," nociceptive neurons in the dorsal horns of the spinal cord become sensitized by peripheral tissue damage or inflammation.[5] This type of sensitization has been suggested as a possible causal mechanism for chronic pain conditions. The changes of central sensitization occur after repeated trials to pain. Research from animals has consistently shown that when an trial is repeatedly exposed to a painful stimulus, the animal’s pain threshold will change and result in a stronger pain response. Researchers believe that there are parallels that can be drawn between these animal trials and persistent pain in people. For example, after a back surgery that removed a herniated disc from causing a pinched nerve, the patient may still continue to “feel” pain. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitization

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 12:44pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Well there is this:

"In "central sensitization," nociceptive neurons in the dorsal horns of the spinal cord become sensitized by peripheral tissue damage or inflammation.[5] This type of sensitization has been suggested as a possible causal mechanism for chronic pain conditions. The changes of central sensitization occur after repeated trials to pain. Research from animals has consistently shown that when an trial is repeatedly exposed to a painful stimulus, the animal’s pain threshold will change and result in a stronger pain response. Researchers believe that there are parallels that can be drawn between these animal trials and persistent pain in people. For example, after a back surgery that removed a herniated disc from causing a pinched nerve, the patient may still continue to “feel” pain. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitization
    Well,

has been suggested as a possible causal
    Any more? Especially from Dugas' side. I've never heard of or read anything about this topic that was conclusive.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    No it wasn't. Yes, I can feel it. Yes, those signals travel through the CNS, but beyond that the CNS is not involved. To actually damage the CNS you would need to experience direct spinal trauma.
    "Not involved". Really. And who is talking about damage, you said "sheltered".

So, nobody ever got syncope from peripheral nerve pain?

Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisRight? View Post
    Nope, you're the one saying stupid things.
    Stupid is thinking of the peripheral and CNS as two separate systems, and that one can't cause significant dangerous effects in the other, which is what Dale is talking about.

If you think you can explain how the CNS is "sheltered" from peripheral nerve pain, I'm listening. Explain vasovagal syncope due to extremity pain, professor.

Explain Cheng's source while you're at it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not claiming to have suffered CNS damage, but years ago I was thrown and I landed on my elbow and the shock definitely went all the way to my neck. After the "stinger" sensation wore off, I had a sore neck for a few days.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to be worried about similar damage being caused by striking an immobile object.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 2:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    So would you say, he's good at what he's doing, but what he's doing isn't very good?
    Yes. As I told people, I was very good at applying Shaolin-do in sparring. It was what I was known for in the art. It doesn't mean it was good or effective. In fact, it shows that some people can make anything work. To take it further, it makes you wonder what would happen if a similar person trained a legitimate art.

I've watched his vids before and even dowloaded a few to watch for when I'm away without an internet connection and didn't find him too bad. Though I don't know enough about Kung Fu to tell whether his forms were wrong and the such but he did seem to know what he was doing and I should imagine if he'd hadn't had gotten caught up in the shite your talking about and picked a more legit martial art, we'd probably not be sat her calling him bullshido.
    Right and that's the danger with bullshido teachers that are extremely fit and good at what they do. He makes begginers think he knows what he is doing. His mechanics are okay and contrary to Dale's assertion he has kung fu. Don't fall into that discussion. There are sucky people doing real kung fu right now. They don't magically lose "real kung fu" because they are terrible. There is legit Kung Fu in Shaolin-do, but most of it has been lost in the money making machine of a McDojo. If GMT had of stuck with quality and not quantity, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/08/2014 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale didn't use the term "damage", he said "shock to the CNS".

Now don't you all feel stupid?

My tid sa jeurng is nubile, and my knowledge limited, but at least I can read.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast