Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:24am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

And now for some hilariously bad kung fu instruction...

Well I was looking at random videos on youtube because insomnia, and I cam across these gems.

First, we have Combat Tai Chi. This video gives such advice as blocking snap kicks with your forearm (a great way to have your arm broken) and dropping your head really low in the name of pushing someone in the chest (a great way to take a knee to the face).

I actually want dale to comment on his "Iron Bone" Kung Fu. It looks nothing like Dale's videos (in a bad way), and he makes some claims about how his training can heal old people with incredibly weak bones improve their bone strength. My understanding was that if you have osteoporosis or something similar, martial arts of any kind are a really, really bad idea, especially ones that involve hitting hard objects repeatedly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:38am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I notice that his boards have cuts in them. Not sure if thats just for dramatic sound effects but surely that would dampen the strike and make the exercise less effective?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:49am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BUT IT SOUNDS COOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 6:15am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So does Radiohead, when you first here them.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is Jake Mace. What a rabbit hole you've discovered...read on.

Shaolin Do rears its ugly head, yet again.

http://18chambers.blogspot.com/2013/...en-letter.html

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121569

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115628

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/07/2014 7:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 7:25am

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post

I actually want dale to comment on his "Iron Bone" Kung Fu. It looks nothing like Dale's videos (in a bad way), and he makes some claims about how his training can heal old people with incredibly weak bones improve their bone strength. My understanding was that if you have osteoporosis or something similar, martial arts of any kind are a really, really bad idea, especially ones that involve hitting hard objects repeatedly.

Hell, if only he focused on turning boners into iron then he'd be rich, 'cause there'll be no need for pharmaceuticals...

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 11:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know him. Yep, he's a Mcdojo Instructor who learned some made up forms from GrandMaster The. He also trains withh BJJ instructors and has Muay Thai people come in to help.

So, while his kung fu origin is highly suspect, he isn't even in the realm of hilariously bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    I notice that his boards have cuts in them. Not sure if thats just for dramatic sound effects but surely that would dampen the strike and make the exercise less effective?
    Yes, to dampen the damgae as you graduate up to harder material. Nope, it doesn't lessen the exercise it is a step up from beginners. If Dale pops in, maybe he explain the graduated process concerning IP training.

BUT IT SOUNDS COOL.
    Well, apparently your martial arts knowledge is "hilariously bad."

Yep, I feel bad for the guy. He should quit, spend 5-6 years learning and then correcting his **** and then teach again. This is his full time job, so it is hard to give **** up. He was defrauded by three assholes and didn't know any better.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/07/2014 11:35am at .

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iron Skills are real but how Jake is presenting them is a tad misleading. Stress on bones helps them to grow. But if someone is suffering from certain conditions I do not know the effects of what he is doing.

My Iron Body practices starts with fascia training. Then leads to hitting the body with the hands and then with training tools.

The slots help reduce the strikes and soften the impact. You do not want to strike immovable things as the risk of having that shock return to your CNS and cause issues is real.

You can get similar results with weight training and body weight training that induces the body to strengthen its structure in response to the stimulus applied.

So there are some nuggets of truth in Jakes concepts, just that old people getting down on the floor and whacking away on some wood blocks is not the best method.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 12:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    First, we have Combat Tai Chi. This video gives such advice as blocking snap kicks with your forearm (a great way to have your arm broken)
    Maybe the rationale is that it can be done if you have trained to harden the arms, but this is actually a pet peeve of mine for many years. I have been to quite a few schools in which students are taught to block front snap kicks with inside forearm blocks, usually with the arm facing the kick in such a way that the ulna makes contact. Not only is this a good way to break the ulna, dropping your guard to block a kick below the waist is also asking to get punched in the face.

Even in schools where students spar regularly, this common movement in karate forms is commonly interpreted within the kata as being primarily an inside block to a kick. I think this is good evidence of the disconnect often found between kata practice and the way that students in these schools actually fight, when they discover what really works and what doesnt.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Maybe the rationale is that it can be done if you have trained to harden the arms, but this is actually a pet peeve of mine for many years.
    It shouldn't be the rationale for fighting with TAI CHI though.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast