Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    6
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Self Defense decision (again ... grab the sticks Ill get the horse)

    Hi folks,

    which of the following art would you take(one) to compliment boxing:

    -Krav Maga(ikmf)
    -Arnis
    -BJJ

    I would personally go with Arnis because of the knife and stick work and because the dirty boxing will be a good combo with the boxing . They also have some basic ground work. Then there is the Krav maga. I really like the self defense aspect and training methodology but I'm not too sure about the quality of their techniques(sloppy?).

    Finally, the BJJ class sound interesting, but I personally think spending too much time training ground work is probably an overkill for self defense. I also have a bad knee and I think BJJ would be too hard on my knee.

    So, is the above thinking make sens or I missed something?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,570
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong Forum
    Basic Tech-------------->YMAS


    Welcome to Bullshido and have a golly gee wonderful day!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    6
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ho, sorry. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,452
    Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gropette View Post
    I would personally go with Arnis because of the knife and stick work and because the dirty boxing will be a good combo with the boxing . They also have some basic ground work. Then there is the Krav maga. I really like the self defense aspect and training methodology but I'm not too sure about the quality of their techniques(sloppy?).
    Arnis tends to go well with boxing - depending on the particular arnis school, there's a lot of crossover in terms of stance, movement and body mechanics. Also depending on where you go, there may or may not be the dirty boxing and grappling aspects.

    Krav ... quality varies widely, and for the most part it's an add-on for a school with a "martial fitness class" feel to it. Good for the workout, I guess, but most likely you're already getting a better workout in boxing.

    Finally, the BJJ class sound interesting, but I personally think spending too much time training ground work is probably an overkill for self defense. I also have a bad knee and I think BJJ would be too hard on my knee.
    Groundwork is an essential component of self-defence. From the clinch, it's the grappler who decides whether it will go to the ground or not, and once it's on the ground, it's the grappler who decides what will happen next.

    I'm not a BJJ'er, so can't comment on the knee issue.

    Also, welcome to Bullshido.

  5. #5
    Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,984
    Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gropette View Post
    Hi folks,

    which of the following art would you take(one) to compliment boxing:

    -Krav Maga(ikmf)
    -Arnis
    -BJJ

    I would personally go with Arnis because of the knife and stick work and because the dirty boxing will be a good combo with the boxing . They also have some basic ground work. Then there is the Krav maga. I really like the self defense aspect and training methodology but I'm not too sure about the quality of their techniques(sloppy?).

    Finally, the BJJ class sound interesting, but I personally think spending too much time training ground work is probably an overkill for self defense. I also have a bad knee and I think BJJ would be too hard on my knee.

    So, is the above thinking make sens or I missed something?

    Thanks
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    I'd recommend BJJ. A good BJJ school isn't going to be ONLY ground work. Regarding your knee, I'm 44 years old and have two bad knees, two bad shoulders, and two bad elbows. You'll get by fine in BJJ, you will just need to adjust a bit.

    I'm not sure why anyone would want to focus on knife and stick work for self defense (as a primary method anyway)...at least in the US. I've trained both, and carried a knife for 20+ years, and can tell you that the 'use of force continuum' that is relevant for knife/stick defense if very small. If someone pulls a knife on me at this point and I can't get away form the attack, I'm shooting them, not knife fighting them. Mostly the same with a stick or other blunt weapon (like a bat).

  6. #6
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gropette View Post
    Hi folks,

    which of the following art would you take(one) to compliment boxing:

    -Krav Maga(ikmf)
    -Arnis
    -BJJ

    I would personally go with Arnis because of the knife and stick work and because the dirty boxing will be a good combo with the boxing . They also have some basic ground work. Then there is the Krav maga. I really like the self defense aspect and training methodology but I'm not too sure about the quality of their techniques(sloppy?).

    Finally, the BJJ class sound interesting, but I personally think spending too much time training ground work is probably an overkill for self defense. I also have a bad knee and I think BJJ would be too hard on my knee.

    So, is the above thinking make sens or I missed something?

    Thanks
    People die when you stab them..... in a kinda slow fashion. If you think arnis is super cool go for it. Unless you live in California or one of the no gun states you can pretty much use a gun anywhere you can use a knife. So there that.

    Krav and RBSD are fucking garbage.

    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and it's family of related arts( sambo,judo,luta livre)are the only ones that will give you the ability to gently control someone or take their life away. If someone says they are training for self defense and doesn't train in one of those arts I believe they are doing themselves a great disservice.

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    People die when you stab them..... in a kinda slow fashion. If you think arnis is super cool go for it. Unless you live in California or one of the no gun states you can pretty much use a gun anywhere you can use a knife. So there that.

    Krav and RBSD are fucking garbage.

    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and it's family of related arts( sambo,judo,luta livre)are the only ones that will give you the ability to gently control someone or take their life away. If someone says they are training for self defense and doesn't train in one of those arts I believe they are doing themselves a great disservice.
    But but but...the bruises !

    To be more serious, some sort of work with striking will have to be involved, or at least defenses to striking (like grappling defense, learn to punch, right? ).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,504
    Style
    Jits
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    To be more serious, some sort of work with striking will have to be involved, or at least defenses to striking (like grappling defense, learn to punch, right? ).
    Florida man wrote Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    6
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Unfortunately" I live and Canada so carrying a gun is not an option.

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Florida man wrote Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
    Yeah, that makes a a difference, Mr. Smartysemantics pants...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in