Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just came across this:
    Motion and muscles don't always work in lockstep, researchers find in surprising new study:
    http://phys.org/news/2014-03-motion-...-lockstep.html

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh come on guys, you don't want this to turn into W Rabbit vs Doofaloofa 2 do you?

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 4:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Oh come on guys, you don't want this to turn into W Rabbit vs Doofaloofa 2 do you?

Well, what do you expect when "Searchfunkshun NOOB!" gets taken away?
    Something must fill the void, and **** flows downhill.

We just can't have nice things, can we?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Well, what do you expect when "Searchfunkshun NOOB!" gets taken away?
    Something must fill the void, and **** flows downhill.

We just can't have nice things, can we?
    I propose this:
    First one to post their own chainsaw kata video wins the thread. Bonus points for doing it with good kata mechanics and quickness so you can take Doofa's Best Chainsaw Kata trophy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2014 3:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Static' stretching is what's associated with decreased strength.
    Some warmup exercises involve increasing range of motion.
    After reading actual experiments and results all day, let me say that if you didn't mean long-term decreased strength, we have no disagreement. Also, if this would've been clear to me had I read the rest of the thread(still haven't, btw), I will apologize for that. If you did however, I haven't come across any studies that were performed in format with which such a thing could be proved. What I did find was numerous studies regarding stretching prior to exercise, and a couple of experiments where EMG/MMG tests were done just after stretches were performed. A number of the published results of such studies even use the word 'temporary' when describing the performance deficit caused by static stretching. So then, if this statement was asserting a long-term decreased strength, I still haven't seen a source. If not then this has been a grave misunderstanding and a waste of my saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Except that scholar comes from the old english scoliere, meaning student. In your own link, each definition of guru has teacher in it. Is a student necessarily a teacher? Even if that weren't the case, there's this thing called connotation that words have, in addition to denotation.

Also why do all my posts have to be approved?

Posted On:
    3/16/2014 1:57pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed on the stretching, but that bit isn't strictly true.
    True. I always tell people "ooo" is good and "ouch" is bad. There is a difference. Now come the dirty jokes.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    3/16/2014 2:11pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnesRtscholar View Post
    I'll have to look into Jones 2002, Evetovich 2003, and Young 2003. Understand that my skepticism come from myself being able to squat almost 2x bodyweight, run 40 yds in under 5 seconds, and (nearly) do a complete split. Also, there's nothing wrong with my handle. It says scholar, not guru. You know how many kinesiology papers come out in a year?
    You are in great shape, bud, but take notice of what the kung fu doods are saying. They may not sound like it, but they are being respectful of you by challenging you. Bullshido folks are sharp around the edges, but in the end it's all for a reason.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    3/16/2014 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    True. I always tell people "ooo" is good and "ouch" is bad. There is a difference. Now come the dirty jokes.
    Haha, well i was thinking more along the lines of idiopathic or "phantom limb" pain.
    One can perceive pain without damage, without that limb, or even in someone else's limb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:02pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...les_N.htm?csp=

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

The numbers, especially for competitive athletes, are sobering. According to their calculations, static stretching reduces strength in the stretched muscles by almost 5.5 percent, with the impact increasing in people who hold individual stretches for 90 seconds or more. While the effect is reduced somewhat when people’s stretches last less than 45 seconds, stretched muscles are, in general, substantially less strong.
    What about Yoga? Does it weaken your muscles? Kushti wrestlers in India are pretty into it, and they have old men who still coach and wrestle.

My neck's been a little stiff since it's been cranked. Would doing the stretches for your neck on the site that goodlun posted just weaken the neck you think?

Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    What about Yoga? Does it weaken your muscles? Kushti wrestlers in India are pretty into it, and they have old men who still coach and wrestle.
    Well a few things, yoga isn't just stretching, when your doing yoga you often doing quite a bit in the way of body weight exercises.
    Also mind you stretching only temporarily "weakens" your muscle. More specifically it can reduce its efficiency. Mind you none of this is by a large margin at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    My neck's been a little stiff since it's been cranked. Would doing the stretches for your neck on the site that goodlun posted just weaken the neck you think?
    Its not going to reduce your neck.
    Stretching your neck to make it not hurt isn't going to increase the flexiablity of it enough to cause you to cause your neck to be "weaker" in any measurable sense.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast