222467 Bullies, 4371 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 92
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. goodlun is offline
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,900

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:35pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a lot of the anti-leg lock propaganda centers around the very wrong impression that its some sort of "short cut" to BJJ by trying to bypass all that guard stuff.
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,803

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 6:11pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have the money go get it checked. You'd be surprised at what you can do after a knee injury or partial tear. Yes, even walk, kick and stretch. Yes, speaking from self and anecdotal experience.
  3. sweats is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    248

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 8:02pm


     Style: Shotokan & BJJ

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From your posts, I get the impression you're getting some hypochondria going. If you can do everything you usually do without pain, you're probably just fine. If it's off or stiff for weeks on end, maybe something is wrong.

    BJJ tends to have this phobia about lower body submissions that isn't fully grounded in fact. In my amateur organizational psychological assessment, it's a lot of residual butt hurt from when Fadda's school won a challenge with the Gracies. They used a lot of footlocks, but those are you know cheap and low class techniques so it totally didn't count.

    I've had my knee popped to a heel hook. I tought the guy had a straight ankle lock and boom, popped. Hurt for a few days, but ultimately I was more or less ok. Is there some damage to the joint as a result? Probably, but not enough that it's bothering me over 5 years later. It's a contact sport and it will take a toll on your body. It comes with the territory.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
  4. Mr.HoneyBadger is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 8:24pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post
    From your posts, I get the impression you're getting some hypochondria going. If you can do everything you usually do without pain, you're probably just fine. If it's off or stiff for weeks on end, maybe something is wrong.

    BJJ tends to have this phobia about lower body submissions that isn't fully grounded in fact. In my amateur organizational psychological assessment, it's a lot of residual butt hurt from when Fadda's school won a challenge with the Gracies. They used a lot of footlocks, but those are you know cheap and low class techniques so it totally didn't count.

    I've had my knee popped to a heel hook. I tought the guy had a straight ankle lock and boom, popped. Hurt for a few days, but ultimately I was more or less ok. Is there some damage to the joint as a result? Probably, but not enough that it's bothering me over 5 years later. It's a contact sport and it will take a toll on your body. It comes with the territory.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    Hypochondria? Probably. I used to have really bad OCD (much better now though) but stuff like this can still get me going once in a while.

    Damn it made a popping noise or did it actually popped out of the socket?

    I know it's a contact sport. I get elbowed and kicked all the time. I just wanted some peoples' opinions and to kind of gauge if it was serious or not.
  5. Mr.HoneyBadger is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 8:28pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    This is a big assumption but I am going to assume if you can do those stretches nothing has been torn. I know when I stretch something that is torn it hurts like a mother fucker.
    I hope so.

    The general consensus seems to be "Your probably o.k." with the exception of It Is Fake's "Go see a doctor."

    I might wait until I normally get a check up and then bring it up.
  6. ChenPengFi is offline
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,219

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 8:35pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few orthopedic tests you can have a PT do, to rule out torn ligaments etc., but pain and tissue damage aren't related to each other as much as we'd like to think.
    See a doc if you're simply worried, have lasing pain or any unusual instability.

    I tend towards not getting imagery myself, and trying conservative rehab first so long as one can tolerate it.
  7. Mr.HoneyBadger is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 8:37pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    but pain and tissue damage aren't related to each other as much as we'd like to think.
    \
    Meaning that something can hurt and not be damaged or not hurt and be damaged? Or that something can not hurt a lot but be really messed up tissue wise?
  8. ChenPengFi is offline
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,219

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 9:03pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Meaning that something can hurt and not be damaged or not hurt and be damaged? Or that something can not hurt a lot but be really messed up tissue wise?

    Yes, yes, and that last one is also a yes, but a bit less likely.
    Think Forrest Gump getting shot for the last one, or phantom limb pain for the opposite.

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121734

    and

    http://bloodandiron315.com/2014/02/1...-as-you-think/


    It sounds like you've "catostrophized" knee injuries via submissions.
    You'd be more likely to experience pain and dysfunction if that's so.

    Tissue injuries matter, but they are not directly equivalent to pain.
  9. goodlun is offline
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,900

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 9:12pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Tissue injuries matter, but they are not directly equivalent to pain.
    When it comes to tissue injuries how often do they require outside intervention to heal properly?
  10. ChenPengFi is offline
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,219

    Posted On:
    3/07/2014 9:16pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    When it comes to tissue injuries how often do they require outside intervention to heal properly?

    Too broad of a question, are you talking GSW or a twisted knee?
    Car wreck?
    Pulpified tissue via ordinance?
    Flamethrower burns?

    Essentially, the body heals itself, but trauma can certainly kill too.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.