Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 4:26am

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    I don't want to start a huge fight about this, but... Glima, maybe?
    I'm not sure what the situation is in your part of the country, but I only ever heard of it through this site, and all the research I've done points to it being a predominantly Icelandic/Scandinavian art. What's worth keeping in mind, for those not in the know, is that the "pure" Scandinavian culture faded in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland during the 1500s, as the countries were influenced by each other and Denmark's neighbor Germany. Iceland, however, didn't experience this same dilution of culture, owing largely to its geographic position and lack of noticeable trade with other nations. This means that a lot of historically Scandinavian practices that have died out in most of the world remain in Iceland, which could very well include Glima (at least its wide-spread practice).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 5:06am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just moved here, quite recently, but back in Malmö there was this wrestling club that did Glima. I have no idea how big it actually is, but there was this "Open Swedish Championship" back in 2010 with a lot of MMA / grappling guys competing in "Lösa tag".

I did some grappling with a Glima guy, down in Malmö, but... Again, I have no idea how widespread it is. It WAS part of the 1912 olympics in Stockholm, though. _smile_
    Last edited by Mackan; 3/05/2014 5:31am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 5:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just moved here, quite recently, but back in Malmö there was this wrestling club that did Glima. I have no idea how big it actually is, but there was this "Open Swedish Championship" back in 2010 with a lot of MMA / grappling guys competing in "Lösa tag".

I did some grappling with a Glima guy, down in Malmö, but... Again, I have no idea how widespread it is. It WAS part of the 1912 olympics in Stockholm, though. _smile_
    Yeah, it seems you can find it here and there, but it's on a whole other level in Iceland (it was taught in primary school at one point in time, kind of like with Japan and Judo); sadly, us Swedes lack a strong wrestling tradition.

Weird thing I've noticed, by the way; why is it that all of the more "unusual" martial arts (FMA, Kung Fu that isn't __in __un, etc.) in Sweden mostly have clubs in Malmö, Luleå, Umeå and the like, yet are incredibly hard to find in the Stockholm area? You'd think with limited demand, it would make more sense to set up shop in a place where there's as much potential business as possible. Many have been the times I've found some really cool-looking club online, only to discover it's on the other side of the country.

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 6:25am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    A rugby tour then?
    Do they usually have axes in rugby? I don't remember that it does, maybe you're thinking of Australian Rules Football.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 7:01am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Do they usually have axes in rugby? I don't remember that it does, maybe you're thinking of Australian Rules Football.
    Aussie Rules?! Pfffft, that was only invented to preserve the egos of the cricket divas from the harsh reality of an actual footy code.

But yeah, we have axes. They're called props. Although we use hookers in place of the whole rapey thing.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 9:24am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Aussie Rules?! Pfffft, that was only invented to preserve the egos of the cricket divas from the harsh reality of an actual footy code.

But yeah, we have axes. They're called props. Although we use hookers in place of the whole rapey thing.
    That's a reasonable deviation from tradition, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 9:46am

Style: Judo, jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    I'm definitely sticking with BJJ for the time being, since I agree that I'm not in much of a position to evaluate it yet. If my schedule and high schooler's budget allow, I'll look into taking up Aikido eventually, but for now it seems smarter to kind of focus on one art. I guess I'm just at a point in my BJJ journey where it's basically fun-free for me, and incredibly frustrating, but I figure it'll get better eventually if I stick with it.
    You are exactly at the point where the gloss rubs off, the real learning begins, and you start to find out what you're made of. Frustration is par for the course--learn to deal with it, because it's not going away. You just have to hang in there, keep going to class and working, and one day you roll with someone who started six months or a year after you did, and you realize that you actually have learned something. Judo is a lot like BJJ that way.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 11:33am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Terrier View Post
    Judo is a lot like BJJ that way.....
    (Just started Judo after having done 6 years of BJJ. Judo is a lot like BJJ in other ways too. Just saying.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Weird thing I've noticed, by the way; why is it that all of the more "unusual" martial arts (FMA, Kung Fu that isn't __in __un, etc.) in Sweden mostly have clubs in Malmö, Luleå, Umeå and the like, yet are incredibly hard to find in the Stockholm area? .
    There seems to be Glima training at Telge MMA in Södertälje... That's the only club in your neck of the woods that I know of, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There seems to be Glima training at Telge MMA in Södertälje... That's the only club in your neck of the woods that I know of, though.
    You're sure about this? I looked all over their website, but saw no mention of Glima anywhere. It seemed kind of an odd fit, to be honest; being that Glima is a style of belt-wrestling where attacks on the lower body are banned á la Greco-Roman, it doesn't seem very well suited for MMA. I am, of course, entirely open to the possibility that I'm an idiot who looked at the wrong website, or just missed it somehow.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast