Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 10:24pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    like...in a good way?
    No like in a "this is causing join damage" sort of way.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 12:33pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    No like in a "this is causing join damage" sort of way.
    You and me both, my shoulders are messed up enough as is, I don't do dips.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    1. Eat a Ghost Pepper
    2. Recite dialogue from Cool Hand Luke
    3. Disassemble, reassemble 1911
    4. Grill a t-bone without fucking it up
    5. Show up for a 5:30 am workout

You're fit to hang out with at least.
    I can't do 2, or 3, but I'm willing to learn. Does that mean I get to hang out across the street from the cool kids? Sorta close, but not "in"
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 3:41pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always liked this summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Heinlein
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 3:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The strengthy folks at EliteFTS have an article on strength standards:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-martial-arts/

Their reasoning is sound:

Let’s say that it takes 15 percent of your maximum effort to perform a double leg takedown. If you can then increase your maximum effort (or maximal strength) from 100 percent to say 120 percent, that 15 percent required effort is then actually reduced to around 10 percent, meaning you can then perform the movement using far less energy and you haven’t even considered conditioning. This makes you a more explosive and more efficient athlete. It’s a no brainer! The same applies to all movements in the sport—clinching, kicking, and general movement around the cage. So giving yourself a solid base of strength will add to your game in many ways.

The short version is that they want you to have a +50% BW chin-up, deadlift and squat 2 to 2.5xBW, bench 1.5-1.8xBW. Solid stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2014 6:19pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    The strengthy folks at EliteFTS have an article on strength standards:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-martial-arts/

Their reasoning is sound:

Let’s say that it takes 15 percent of your maximum effort to perform a double leg takedown. If you can then increase your maximum effort (or maximal strength) from 100 percent to say 120 percent, that 15 percent required effort is then actually reduced to around 10 percent, meaning you can then perform the movement using far less energy and you haven’t even considered conditioning. This makes you a more explosive and more efficient athlete. It’s a no brainer! The same applies to all movements in the sport—clinching, kicking, and general movement around the cage. So giving yourself a solid base of strength will add to your game in many ways.

The short version is that they want you to have a +50% BW chin-up, deadlift and squat 2 to 2.5xBW, bench 1.5-1.8xBW. Solid stuff.
    Interesting numbers. I am getting close-ish to those though with my knee injury I am sure my deadlift and squat have dropped. I haven't don't those lifts for several months.

Posted On:
    6/06/2014 11:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't bench and my squat sucks, but I don't think their numbers are crazy. I'd say they're a little on the high side for recreational martial artists, but these are within reason for someone whose primary goal isn't strength.

I do think it's telling that they include only the strength lifts and not the Oly.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I've always chuckled at nxBW measurements. I'm tipping the scales at 308lbs. Granted, I'm overweight, but if I can squat my bodyweight for reps, that's significantly more than if my 120lb gym mate can squat his bodyweight for the same number of reps.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123