Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2014 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pec majors, activate!!

I have been having issue with activating my pec majors. I ALWAYS feel the minors in action, but feel the majors being activated FAR less if at all, depending on the exercise.

I had a similar issue with my lats. It was so bad that when I did pullups in front of a mirror, I could see my body tilted to the side of my unactivated lat--usually the left. I remedied this by accident, trying different exercises. After adding lat pulls and seated rows to my routine, I was able to activate both lats no problemo. Unfortunately, I am not aware of many chest exercises that seem like they are really any different from the rest....or rather, any chest exercises that predominately work the pec majors.

The exercises I do for chest are body dips, DB bench, and BB bench. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2014 4:16pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can only forward you to exrx. They have lists of exercises by muscle and tool used. I'm sure someone else can recommend which one to do.

Exercises for Pectoralis Major Sternal: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Che...l#anchor165455

And this one for the clavicular: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Che...#anchor1932170

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2014 8:26pm

Style: Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the bench press, how wide do you usually grip, and where (how far away from, and at what point on your chesy) do you pause between the eccentric and concentric motions?
    As to dips, I have the same issue unless I do them weighted, because the weight forces me to use my pec majors instead of loading the minors and triceps.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2014 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    With the bench press, how wide do you usually grip,
    I grip it fairly wide already, as I have long arms. Much wider and I'd be touching the rack.

and where (how far away from, and at what point on your chesy) do you pause between the eccentric and concentric motions?
    I pause with arms fully extended and at my chest, at my sternum.

I feel like I didn't answer this correctly :P

As to dips, I have the same issue unless I do them weighted, because the weight forces me to use my pec majors instead of loading the minors and triceps.
    I have the same issue with dips...I feel it all in my pec minors. Though today, I did feel it some in my majors when I benched, I just couldn't associate it with any changes I had made in form.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2014 11:57pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I grip it fairly wide already, as I have long arms. Much wider and I'd be touching the rack.

I pause with arms fully extended and at my chest, at my sternum.

I feel like I didn't answer this correctly :P

I have the same issue with dips...I feel it all in my pec minors. Though today, I did feel it some in my majors when I benched, I just couldn't associate it with any changes I had made in form.
    wide grip is good, it helps load the chest.. as an additional note, do you tuck your shoulder blades under your back when benching?

you answered correctly, and that's again sounding fine

not sure why it felt different, but see if it's consistent in future

I'll definitely say you're one up on a lot of guys just from the fact that you're aware of what you're feeling when doing the exercise, a lot of people focus on what they've been told is best, without caring what FEELS best for them in particular

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2014 12:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wide grip is good, it helps load the chest..
    Yeah, I'm just hoping to find a way to remedy this without sacrificing my tris.

as an additional note, do you tuck your shoulder blades under your back when benching?
    I do.

you answered correctly, and that's again sounding fine

not sure why it felt different, but see if it's consistent in future
    My guess is the DB bench. It's the newest addition to my chest arsenal.

I'll definitely say you're one up on a lot of guys just from the fact that you're aware of what you're feeling when doing the exercise, a lot of people focus on what they've been told is best, without caring what FEELS best for them in particular
    It took my a while to learn this and I still have a way to go lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2014 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Yeah, I'm just hoping to find a way to remedy this without sacrificing my tris.

I do.

My guess is the DB bench. It's the newest addition to my chest arsenal.

It took my a while to learn this and I still have a way to go lol.

Personally I have **** tris, always have, so no advice there hahaha

Well it sure sounds like you're doing everything possible to get the most chest load, because (you probably know this since you do it but whatever may as well leave the info for others) tucking the shoulder blades under stops the rotator cuff from taking the weight

Oh hey one thing I can suggest is adding dumbbell flies (flys?) to your program
    just add a couple of really light sets after your compound exercises, for isolation

out of curiosity what kind of program do you run? probably going to derail this thread, sorry about that

And to the feeling thing - yeah, it's definitely one of the fine points of weight training, and nobody can really teach it.. which is ****, because if they could I'd be much better at it

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2014 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I have **** tris, always have, so no advice there hahaha

Well it sure sounds like you're doing everything possible to get the most chest load, because (you probably know this since you do it but whatever may as well leave the info for others) tucking the shoulder blades under stops the rotator cuff from taking the weight

Oh hey one thing I can suggest is adding dumbbell flies (flys?) to your program
    just add a couple of really light sets after your compound exercises, for isolation

out of curiosity what kind of program do you run? probably going to derail this thread, sorry about that

And to the feeling thing - yeah, it's definitely one of the fine points of weight training, and nobody can really teach it.. which is ****, because if they could I'd be much better at it
    I'll pm you when I get to my computer. I don't want to derail the thread....yet, anyway.

Start a training log!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2014 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any perpendicular pressing exercise will engage the pec major. It is physically impossible for it not to. However, if it is a particular sensation that you are looking for, focus on dips and dumbbell pullovers.

The feel of the exercise isn't always a good indicator of what is being stressed.

Just keep working out! I love to hear that people are mindfully lifting weights, and incrementally trying to improve their results.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2014 9:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Any perpendicular pressing exercise will engage the pec major. It is physically impossible for it not to. However, if it is a particular sensation that you are looking for, focus on dips and dumbbell pullovers.

The feel of the exercise isn't always a good indicator of what is being stressed.

Just keep working out! I love to hear that people are mindfully lifting weights, and incrementally trying to improve their results.
    As always, I really appreciate your input. I will try some of the different suggestions and see what works best for me.
    Start a training log!