Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 9:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido Posts as Proof of Evolution

As I approach my 8th year of training bjj, its fascinating for me to look back at the past 11 or so years of my posts here on Bullshido. My first few years here I was training exclusively wing chun. I still really like wing chun but don't really train it much anymore. Honestly it has more to do with not wanting to train striking these days more than wing chun itself.

Anyway, back when I only trained wing chun I speculated a lot about ground fighting. Now I go back and read my old posts, and have to laugh at what I didn't know.

Here's a couple of my favorites:

From a thread titled "Staying on the Ground"...

I believe that BJJ is a very effective means of fighting on the ground. However, it seems that in order to fight on the ground for any length of time, both parties need to want to stay on the ground....assuming I get taken down, how do you grapplers deal with the fact that I�m gonna fight like hell to get back on my feet? Do you think that in the few seconds we are both on the ground, with me throwing as many punches as I can get off, you can get into position to execute a choke or arm bar or other technique? Keep in mind that I�m doing EVERYTHING I can to get up: bite, eye gouge, pinch, etc. If a 225 pound man REALLY wants to get off the ground, can you stop him without opening yourself up to getting pummeled?
    I have to LOL at this one. There is so much wrong with it...but really all someone had to do was shoot me a link of some of the old Gracie challenge matches and maybe I would have shut the **** up?

Here's another gem from that thread:

I also think that the majority of getting a dominant position depends on HOW you hit the ground. If I'm fighting to not go down, but feel like I'm gonna lose that fight, I'm gonna try like hell to go down in a manner that doesn't leave me completely screwed.
    Hahaha. That's rich. Apparently I was completely unaware of judo.

Here's another fucking embarrassing one from a thread called "Wing Chun Threads". This is really demonstrates to me how misinformed I really was. Keep in mind this is before I ever trained bjj. The "ground game" I was talking about was mostly self defense techniques trained in wing chun.

My current ground game is okay...I'm not going to win any BJJ competitions, but added to my striking skills, I have a very well-rounded set of self defense techniques. Me fighting a BJJ expert at a bar would be very different than me getting on a mat and rolling w/ him. The former I would be very comfortable with, the latter I would get owned.
    Wow.

Well. Needless to say I don't think I will be starting any fights in bars w/ bjj black belts. I didn't have a clue what a bjj black belt was at this time.

Once I started bjj, my threads were also funny...but in other ways.

Here's an awesome thread I started when I first started training BJJ. It was called "Dealing with Discomfort":

Having recently started training BJJ on a regular basis at a good school...I am finding that I really need to work on dealing w/ discomfort.

I have always had a pretty high pain tolerance...but the discomfort of being in a not-so-good position in BJJ is really bothering me...and seems very different to my body than regular pain.
    God I'm a fucktard. 'Bjj can be uncomfortable...blah blah blah.' Yeah you think? Come to find out that's actually the main point.

Dave Camarillo said "make your opponent hate jiu jitsu"...and that is so right.

As to my original question, I can now say that as you progress in bjj you learn how to better deal with uncomfortable situations. Unfortunately as you progress in bjj, you roll with people who are increasingly good at putting you in uncomfortable situations. It's really a shitty race that at my point in bjj development is largely impossible to win. :)

In any case...it's fun to look back and see how my thinking has changed, and this site has been a big part of that. Yay for the interwebz...and thanks to Phrost for making this a special place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	15939

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 9:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a piece of irony in the first post there are people I cannot hold down when they fight like hell to get up.

So as an idea evolves it can evolve again.

I even agree with the merit of your second post about winning the scramble.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a brilliant self-callout. Bravo.

Users looking for more content like this are encouraged to compare my early started threads to later ones.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    In any case...it's fun to look back and see how my thinking has changed, and this site has been a big part of that. Yay for the interwebz...and thanks to Phrost for making this a special place.
    Awesome analysis of your progress.
    Although I haven't evolved, I have shifted gears and changed the way I train; these forums do provoke thought.

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 11:53am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're welcome!

Posted via Bullshido Android app.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional martial artists sometimes complain that their art is being bashed for bad reasons. They say that skill depends on the person not the style; they say that they don't need to prove themselves to anyone. Some of them say that you need to depend with faith in the art. I have to say that almost all of them talk in rhetorics. Now all this is ok with me, but oftentimes these traditional martial artists go on and bash newer concepts like mixed martial arts.
    Here are some of the things they say about MMA:
    " Mixed martial artists throw sloppy blows."
    " They spend to much time on the ground."
    " They fight like monkeys."
    " Mixed martial arts have no forms! Forms are the life and spirit of all MA."
    " There are rules in UFC, so it is just another tournament. If they fought in our tournaments with our rules, they would probably lose."
    " MMA is overhyped."
    " MMA is not really old. The arts in them have been around for a really long time."
    " They have no grace."
    " It is not a real street-fighting situation."
    Ok, those are just some of the things those " victim" traditional martial artists have said. In my opinion, the negative viewpoint towards MMA is totally based on bad reasons. Here is what I have to say:
    1. " Mixed martial artists throw sloppy blows." Well, although the blows look sloopy, they are quite effective. Just because their punches and kicks don't look as impressive and intimidating as your mcdojo fancy jumping and spinning kicks, doesn't mean they aren't powerful. You try all day to perfect the form and technique of your punches so they look great ,well executed, and graceful. But just because you can throw a " perfect" punch in the air and in point sparring doesn't mean you can compete with the power and speed of the mma powerful punches and kicks. They can apply those blows under pressure, can you?
    2. " They spend to much time on the ground. If there were multiple assailants in a real fight against you, the ground would be dangerous." Well that may be true in some cases, but if you are taken to the ground, what do you do? If you can't fight back on the ground or counter takedowns to get off of the ground and prevent going there, you are at a lose. And plus, what if you are fighting one-on-one, and if you are taken down without the risk of being stomped on, how do you fight back? If a mixed martial artist got into a real fight, he/she wouldn't try to go on the ground with his assailant if there are more people around. He/she would fight back in stand-up, and if he did go to the ground, he would be able to fight back. You however, being taken down, would probably be at a lose. Ground fighting is more than simple horse play, it's serious. You can't use the punches and kicks you learned at this range, you are in trouble.
    3. " They fight like monkeys.' Good. You forget what modern science has proved monkeys to be. They are acrobatic and intelligent. They have skill, and when in a battle, they fight back with valor and ferocity. they are balanced, and often gentle when not fighting. I guess traditional martial artists don't like these traits.
    4. "MAAs have no form! Forms are the life and spirit of all MA." Forms? As in katas, which is what most mcdojos have their students spend all day on. Forms that have no application in a real fight; forms with fixded, fancy manuevers. You know what forms really were used for? They were used to secretly practice illegal martial arts in Asia. That's it. We don't need to keep practicing forms; MA is not illegal today. We could just practice techniques, and f MA becomes illegal, we make up forms based on those techniques.
    5. " There are rules in UFC, so it is just another tournament. If they fought in our tournaments with our rules, they would probably lose." Yes there are rules in the UFC currently, but alot less rules than your competitions. Due to this, the UFC is them most realistic simulation of any one-on-one fight. When the TMA bring up what is in quotes, they seem to try to tell ust that they think they could beat UFC fighters if there was no rules. They seem to say that a groin shot , a bite, and an escape would make themselves win. Well, the UFC guy ain't just gonna let you pull that off. Do you remember when, in early competitions, Karate men faught Thai boxers? The Muay Thai destroyed the Karate fighters. Imagine those fights without rules. Remember, the Thai guy has no rules laid on him too.
    6. " MMA is overhyped." That is because MMA is an effective combat concept that has overcome fighters practicing solely traditional arts. Like the Karate styles that, might I add, have been hyped in movies, products, and a sh*t load of other areas way before the advent of MMA. Remember, TMA is hyped alot by the mcdojos.
    7. " MMA is not really old. The arts in them have been around for a really long time." I will agree that that is true, but the CONCEPT of MMA is newer. In the old times, people joined arts and sports like karate and believed that their sole art was the best. They believed that the training they recieved was superior. Then guys like Bruce Lee started promoting cross-training so the student could aquire more skills in more areas. And now, in this age, people are catching on.
    8. " They have no grace." No grace? Trust me, in the UFC, it is hard to pull of an effective move under that sort of pressure. Without the skills and grace they have, they would be devastated. They don't look graceful because of the pressure. Plus, if you are implying that fancy, graceful movements are the key tro ggod fighting, then you should try fighting a mixed martial artist and see what yoy can pull off.
    9. " It is not a real street-fighting situation." I already covered this in most areas, but there is more to say. If the mma situations are not close to real SD situations, than neither are your katas or fancy kicks. You don't need to learn all those extra techniques to be a good fighter. MMA teaches students techniques often used in SD, and the mixed martial artists have an easy time creating there own personal style.

Well, there is much more to say, but I will be back. Next I will bash TMA!
    Penis.

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 1:37pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	15939
    You know when your belt looks like that, they're supposed to give you a new one right?

Hell, before I started, I thought Jeet Kune Do had good grappling. ;) There's always hope for change, you just have to strangle one non-believer at a time.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    You know when your belt looks like that, they're supposed to give you a new one right?
    Honestly I'm having so much fun right now I really wouldn't mind if I was a blue belt for another 5 years. It's incredibly liberating to have the expectations so low when I'm on the mat. LOL.

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 3:05pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly I'm having so much fun right now I really wouldn't mind if I was a blue belt for another 5 years. It's incredibly liberating to have the expectations so low when I'm on the mat. LOL.
    You're definitely right. I had that purple for more than 4 years of wandering the country being a fuckhead at random gyms. But you know the expectations rise again when it starts to fall apart.

Getting promoted to brown has more people both watching and gunning for me. It's silly that we give a **** about belts at all, but I you're gonna dig it when they give you the next one. You don't change of course, but the new set of challenges and expectations should push you to a new place in your game before the end of the decade. :)
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist