You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/06/2014 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    In case I was sounding pedantic with you, I didn't intend to do so.
    No I didn't think you were being pedantic. I was just trying to use an example of a thing that I have been practicing for ages, but which just isn't coming together. Yes someone could say I hadn't hit the magic number of hours training necessary to fix it, but I have put in a lot of hours and you would think that would count for something. There are other guys training with me, and they do not appear to be doing anything different (they have the same coaches and put in more or less the same hours) but they aren't getting the same problems.

What I do find kind of patronising, is when people say there is no such thing as talent. Of course then I think it through and I realise they are saying this for a reason. If talent is a real thing, and it's some constant you are born with, then there is no point in even considering its existence. (At least while you are training.) At the end of the day, however good you are, and whatever your rate of progression is, you're still going to have to practice to get better.

EDIT: I did actually manage to seoi otoshi a guy in training today when he reached over for the grip. Of course he was a total noob, who was pretty much going to fall over whatever I did, but I think this was the first time I actually had the presence of mind to deal with the grip when it came over instead of letting it sink in like I usually do.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 3/06/2014 6:56pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    Yah, no vision issues, but he's got some sensory ones that we are aware of and working on. In general though, he's just not terribly coordinated. It's not just catching, it's throwing too, and he generally is bad at mimicking most gross motor movements.

Whereas if his sister simply sees someone do something, she can usually do it with no further coaching or instruction. Dance moves, throwing, tumbling, you name it. Needless to say, we signed her up for gymnastics, and my SAMBO coach is already getting itchy to get her in the kids practice. She's fearless too, and will be a total Judo wrecking machine if she wants to be.
    My 9 year old boy was/is like your daughter. My 10 year old boy isn't too far behind. When I took them to Judo practice with me, they would watch and imitate what we were doing (they were much younger). All the warmups, shrimping, crawling, pins, breakfalls, it was really freaky. They effing taught themselves to do cartwheels and roundoff as well.

I had to draw the line at throwing, though. I told them not too and caught them, older boy had an over the back grip and was about to launch his younger brother with Osoto Gari !

I sure as heck wasn't like that when I was a kid, and neither was their Mom, as far as I know.

Keep up the work with your boy, he will be fine, and find something he loves and can excel at. In one sense, the work ethic he will get will be more valuable than natural coordination.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    No I didn't think you were being pedantic. I was just trying to use an example of a thing that I have been practicing for ages, but which just isn't coming together. Yes someone could say I hadn't hit the magic number of hours training necessary to fix it, but I have put in a lot of hours and you would think that would count for something. There are other guys training with me, and they do not appear to be doing anything different (they have the same coaches and put in more or less the same hours) but they aren't getting the same problems.

What I do find kind of patronising, is when people say there is no such thing as talent. Of course then I think it through and I realise they are saying this for a reason. If talent is a real thing, and it's some constant you are born with, then there is no point in even considering its existence. (At least while you are training.) At the end of the day, however good you are, and whatever your rate of progression is, you're still going to have to practice to get better.

EDIT: I did actually manage to seoi otoshi a guy in training today when he reached over for the grip. Of course he was a total noob, who was pretty much going to fall over whatever I did, but I think this was the first time I actually had the presence of mind to deal with the grip when it came over instead of letting it sink in like I usually do.
    If you can do it on a noob, you can do it on a not so noob. Or a training partner who slows down a bit, maybe.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345