Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 9:11am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Where do you draw the line?

So. Last week I got into an altercation with a taxi driver who was trying to rip me off. We had a bit of an argument in the car, I gave him what I thought was a reasonable price, actually erring on the side of generosity, got out and went to walk away.

I hear his car door open and he comes running at me with his arms extended. I catch him and give him a fairly gentle shove and he ends up on his arse about 4 feet away. He looks shocked for a minute, gets up and runs at me again. I give him a little kick in the knee, more of a stop hit really, nothing too deadly and he backs off.

He comes in again and grabs my shoulder and, starting to get a bit annoyed by this point, I give him a good right hook to the ribs.

Now, realising that he has grievously overestimated his combat abilities, yet still full of rage, this grown man retreats to a safe distance and starts trying to spit on me.

Having overruled the decision not to beat a mans face to a pulp in front of my school, I start chasing him, while he frantically scrabbles around looking for stones to throw at me. At this point, the security guards finally come out and bundle the guy back into his taxi and he drives off.

So I suppose my question is, where do you, personally draw the line? Is it open season as soon as someone lays hands on you? Do you cut a guy a little slack if he has obviously got in over his head? I didn't feel at all threatened, yet could feel myself losing control when he started spitting. Is it justified to punch someone in the face for spitting at you after you have given them repeated chances to walk away? Should you respond with a level of violence equal to what your assailant desires to inflict on you, or with a level of violence equal to what they are capable of inflicting on you? When does self defence become a punishment beating? Does anyone care?

Maybe I think too much.

I'm particularly interested in the views of Holy Moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 9:29am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know the difference between punishment, and justice...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 9:33am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Do you know the difference between punishment, and justice...?
    Is this a joke about sodomy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 9:47am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends which version of "The Punisher" you've seen.

Oh, I'm British, so I never joke about sodomy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 10:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you on everything, up to the spitting. At that point I would have lost my ****. Spit on me, you get a beat down. If I can't beat you down, I might be in jail for felony assault because I'm getting something to beat you down.

I'm in the US, best to assume I have a gun. You know rabid gun culture and all of that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like it worked out ok. If spit had landed on me, I'd say a punch in the face would have been about right. IMO however, totally beating the **** out of somebody isnt justifiable, or a good idea, unless you feel threatened. Up to that point, I'd use only as much force as necessary to keep the annoying shithead away.

Besides, you never know who's recording on his cell phone. Your righteous outrage may not play well on video.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Is it open season as soon as someone lays hands on you?
    In some cases season opens before that.

Do you cut a guy a little slack if he has obviously got in over his head?
    Yes, but always having in mind he still could be dangerous.

Is it justified to punch someone in the face for spitting at you after you have given them repeated chances to walk away?
    No. Spitting should be answered with open hand bitchslappin'

Should you respond with a level of violence equal to what your assailant desires to inflict on you, or with a level of violence equal to what they are capable of inflicting on you?
    The second one.

When does self defence become a punishment beating?
    You know when you're at it.

Does anyone care?
    The law system.

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The deluded fantasies in my head about how I would use my training say I to put him in a choke hold the second he lays hands on me and then to calmly explain to him that this time I will let go, next time I won't.

The reality is most of the time its not worth the hassle. Honestly I would have paid him his fair and if it actually bothered me enough I would report him to what ever taxi commission.

However to answer your question about where do I draw the line and its at the threat of violence. Someone doesn't even have to lay hands on me they just have to be up in my face with me having a reasonable suspension that it will get violent. I have no issue throwing the 1st punch. I typically am not worried if they are a "match" for me or not. One you never know if they have a weapon. So lay them out, and do so fast. Then get in front of it. Start yelling "holy crap did you see that he tried to punch me" so that witnesses get the impression he throw the 1st punch. You wait around and call the cops. You set the narrative.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

No. Spitting should be answered with open hand bitchslappin'
    I take it back -- a bitchslap is a better response to spitting.

Fun fact: I used to work for a certain law enforcement agency where it was the consensus that if a prisoner spit on an arresting officer or C.O., the latter was allowed one punch without serious repercussions.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP is in China, in case you guys didn't notice. I guess they don't have meters in their cabs there...

Where I live, you can't use any more force than is reasonably necessary to defend yourself, up to and including deadly force.

Getting spit on, I"m not sure where that falls in to the "continuum of force". I think it's considered battery in Idaho, as in "unwanted touching".

Anyway, I would not have beat the guy down for spitting at me. I'd have just left the scene as quickly and safely as possible.

Not sure how the law works in China, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast