Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 4:15am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the cops in your neck of the woods, but the cops in Albuquerque (or at least the ones who want to kick ass) don't learn aikido. They put on the 6 oz gloves and learn vale tudo. In the past, some of those guys used to go around town to dojos and hold impromptu matches to see if the 'old' martial arts really worked. The answer, sadly, is no, they don't work. If fact, of the four advanced guys (closest thing to a black belt) at Jackson's, two of them are cops, one is a concert security coordinator and one is a bouncer. If those guys say something works or doesn't work, I'm inclined to believe it.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 4:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only a REAL man could satisfy a camel!!!
    How do you think I know so much about it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 8:31am

Style: BJJ, Vale Tudo, Wrestling, Sanshou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as Aikido goes, the guy I train with (I compete Vale Tudo) is a second degree black belt. He says it's a joke, so I'm inclined to believe him. More importantly, by giving yourself a limitation on what techniques you do (ie I only use techniques from Combat Yoga) you're only screwing yourself. I don't see how anyone can argue with that. And if your art has all of the components then I hope you're right; because if you're not, you're only screwing yourself again.

As far as the police thing goes, I'm not altogetherly inclined to believe what the beaurocracy says is the word of god. Many manuevers are actually listed those you may or may not perform on a target. They are also limited by the 'Use of Force Matrix' for situation dependant methods of self defense.

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 9:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://aikidoonline.com/Columns/clmn_0902_bcorner.html

I guess it's good enough for some members of the NYPD...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido in my opinion as taught by Ueshiba was NOT the full system he knew and was based on. It was just an aspect he emphasized as part of his philosophy. Just my opinion.

nuff said*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I believe he taught people of different stature different skills as he encouraged individual growth. In that he was wise for in my opinion that is how he became to be as skilled as he is.

nuff said*

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 3:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ueshiba knew many systems. The point of aikido was that it wasn't brutal, and could be used to solve problems in a peaceful, harmonizing way(compared to slicing them in half with a sword). The less you hurt someone in an argument, the easier it will be for them to see your point of view. I think that's the basic principle of aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 5:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that's the most pussified thing I'v ever heard. If you seriously hurt someone, then you won't have to bother with that "point of view" crap. If someone attacks you, do you really care about reasoning with them?

Twats

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 7:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure you do. You just don't realize how your particular brand of violence is reasoning with them.

For instance, if someone attacks me, and I immediately enter, break the nose, takedown, and stomp on the face, I'm sending the message "You better not touch me, or I'll break your face. Don't ever try something that stupid ever again"

Now consider the aikido version of the story:

Someone attacks, and by maintaining proper body position, you unbalance the attacker, and perform an aikido throw (we'll call it kokyo nage for the sake of discussion). In an ideal fight against a trained agressor, he would be able to fall with very little or no injury. The attacker comes again, and again the same throw is used. This continues ad nauseum.

The message that this sends is "It is pointless to attack, you do not accomplish anything from using force against me" The attacker eventually realizes this, and then attempts to solve the problem by another means. It is in this way that aikido is known as "the peaceful way".

Each approach has its advantages and disadvantages.

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 8:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you seriously hurt someone, then you won't have to bother with that "point of view" crap.
    The problem is this:
    You never know who, when they get out of the hospital, will buy a sniper rifle and shoot you when you try to buy some raisinets at the movie theatre because you injured them.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast