Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been lucky the two places that I have done judo both have had floating floors one on tires and the other similar to the Denver Judo floor http://www.judocalendar.com/Howtobui...atingFloor.pdf

It really does make Judo a lot easier on the body.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I have been lucky the two places that I have done judo both have had floating floors one on tires and the other similar to the Denver Judo floor http://www.judocalendar.com/Howtobui...atingFloor.pdf

the only times i have played on a sprung floor were at the kodokan, but it's really nice. my dojo has 2 layers of tatami, which helps.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Regarding judo being hard on the body...

It's more that the way judo is practiced is hard on the body. Being that it is seen mostly as a competitive sport these days, people train very hard, because nobody likes to lose. The fact that one CAN practice judo full speed in relative safety means that people (especially young people) tend to go as hard as they can, whether it's appropriate or not.

All my (serious) injuries in Judo over the last 32 years came from competition training, mostly randori. One came from a very skilled and high ranked judoka, and I was told years later it wasn't an accident. The other came from one of my own students, about 3 years ago, while competing in a regional shiai in the same weight division with him and one of my other senior (ikkyu both of them) students. Before that, I'd NEVER bee seriously injured in a shiai.

So, judo is as rough as you make it. Personally, I think that the super hard randori is over-rated as a training tool, although it IS necessary. For sure, noobs tend to get introduced to it and more "normal" randori in general way too soon, and usually without sufficient training to be safe. This is a problem with the sensei/coach, not the students.

My sensei/coach and I both were heavy duty competitors...he was -95 kg, I was -65 kg. We trained very, very hard together, so hard that my Dad (I was a teenager) watched once, and had to leave the dojo (he told me that later).

In any case, you can learn effective judo without killing yourself or getting seriously injured.

But it's so much damned fun to go balls to the wall...
    The hard style of randori is necessary for higher levels of competition as part of contest preparation. The competition style of randori requires preparation...it's not for out of shape noobs (or out of shape anybody). You work up to it slowly. It's not necessary for little kids, either.

Part of the whole problem with judo is the loss of everything related to anything other than competition.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 6:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

Yep, very nice indeed. Little known secret, most modern tatami are not rated by the manufacturers for use on an non-floating floor. They make extra thick ones for that, which means extra expensive.

IMO it's a huge liability for judo shiai, where any sort of underlayment is usually not used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    the only times i have played on a sprung floor were at the kodokan, but it's really nice. my dojo has 2 layers of tatami, which helps.
    Floating floor makes a huge amount of difference in training. nage komi becomes a much more useful method of training.

Two layers works pretty good as well. Way better than nothing, for sure.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried a judo floating floor. Reminded me of pro wrestling- falling with a proper breakfall wasn't painful at all, it just converted the impact into dramatic sound energy.

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 7:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I tried a judo floating floor. Reminded me of pro wrestling- falling with a proper breakfall wasn't painful at all, it just converted the impact into dramatic sound energy.
    I just wish more BJJ places would go with the floating floor maybe then we can work take downs a bit more

Posted On:
    3/04/2014 10:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Women can wear the magic pants in the Aikdio Family too !

Damn, it must be great to have so many willing uke to chuck around.

And check out the neck throw to osaekomi.

Wonder if she has the male equivalent of aiki-bunnies following her around ?

Posted On:
    3/04/2014 11:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    aiki-bunnies
    Folks I do believe we have found the real reason to do Aiki

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you do the bunnies fool.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2014 6:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    No, you do the bunnies fool.
    Grab my... no, not my wrist...
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast