Posted On:
    3/01/2014 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Brotherhood of Polycarbonate.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    8/16/2014 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not quite sure what to say of these latest videos. I mean, the "UWM unleashed" clips are clearly choreographed, but they're billed as combat...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2014 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    Not quite sure what to say of these latest videos. I mean, the "UWM unleashed" clips are clearly choreographed, but they're billed as combat...

Yep, I had the same problem with the first "Unleashed" video, which was a sort of Krabi-Krabong double machete fight, IIRC. There might have been some moments of real sparring in there, but a lot of the action looked staged and the blows were clearly being pulled; basically, it really suffered in comparison with legit. kendo, historical longsword fencing matches, etc.

Don't know what to make of that, but insofar as they're billing these as "Unleashed", let's see some actual fighting ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2014 5:50am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This does not bode well.

I can understand the choreography in order to show the sensors responding to hits to specific areas, but I really don't like the "Unleashed" advertising. Nor do I like the lack of anything resembling power, commitment or follow-through in the strikes.

Posted On:
    8/20/2014 5:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, which one of you is Michael Munro? From the UWM facebook page, a comment in response to his question about the aliveness of the "Unleashed" series:

Hi Michael Munro, the Unleashed series was for training and testing purposes so comprised a combination of free combat and specific strikes enabling us to see how the Armour and tech performed under a range of full force techniques and movement. The fighters were also getting used to the Lorica, plus they have trained a lot together so they seemed to anticipate sometimes. When we get complete strangers in there, there will be plenty more free action to enjoy, but we need to get the tech right first. Remember, you are still seeing the first prototype in action. We have lots of improvements to make, but they are coming. Cheers
    UWM
    So these videos were a mix of both sparring and patterns. Real sparring vids to come soon, hopefully.

Also from their facebook page, awesome news that someone is investing in this:

SERIES B FUNDING COMPLETE!!!! – We are delighted to announce that we have secured our Series B funding!

The multimillion-dollar capital injection from a high-net-worth investor will enable UWM to further develop our prototype Lorica armour, build multiple production versions for combat, and make key improvements based on our continual R&D. Importantly, we now have funding to launch our first events designed to determine who are the world's best Weapons Martial Artists...

UWM CEO David Pysden commented “We can now move our focus to refining and improving the production version of the armour to make it lighter with improved visibility and articulation. We will also look to incorporate new features including different colours and logos on the armour so fans can more easily differentiate between fighters. Future plans also include the addition of LED lighting to show damage sustained to fighters during bouts.”

“We have a team of highly experienced engineers, technology experts and product designers working on the armour ahead of the anticipated 2015 launch of the first UWM live event,” said Pysden.

The production stage is expected to take 12-18 months with the first event to be held in mid-to-late next year.

Speaking about the investor, Pysden added that their experience and influence would provide enormous benefit to UWM to be able to scale the business and expand overseas.

“The investor has indicated their willingness to play an active role in the development of UWM, providing strategic input and leveraging their extensive global network. We are excited about the partnership moving forward and look forward to working with them to bring UWM to a global audience,” said Pysden.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2014 6:03pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope it all succeeds and everything, I just think it's a mistake to promote videos of clearly staged demos and pulled techniques as "UWM Unleashed".

Posted On:
    8/20/2014 6:07pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I hope it all succeeds and everything, I just think it's a mistake to promote videos of clearly staged demos and pulled techniques as "UWM Unleashed".
    Tricky. I assume they are trying to sell it as less violent. And more martial arty
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2014 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Tricky. I assume they are trying to sell it as less violent. And more martial arty
    As far as I can tell, they're basically using the "Unleashed" videos to demonstrate how some of the armor tech. works. I get that it's easier to do that by staging moves, so that the camera picks up clear impact to particular targets and so-on, but unfortunately that also gives the impression that the armor may not be able to handle real sparring.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/20/2014 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO they're setting the audience up for disappointment if their demos are choreographed, when they "unleash" this tech in actual matches. Kinda like how choreographed martial arts from the movies left some of us wondering where the spin kicks and dim mak were in the early UFC.

Posted On:
    8/20/2014 7:59pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    IMHO they're setting the audience up for disappointment if their demos are choreographed, when they "unleash" this tech in actual matches. Kinda like how choreographed martial arts from the movies left some of us wondering where the spin kicks and dim mak were in the early UFC.
    Give these "Unleashed" videos' comment sections a look and you'll know there's no bloody hope in hell of not letting down this audience. This is going to be the first widely televised full contact weapon contests; most people have never even heard of the Dog Brothers and are wondering why the "Unleashed" videos don't look more like their local dojo's bo katas. Ufc 1 all over again.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast