Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hell is the first video filmed in the dark ?

Interesting. Wonder if any impact weapon can be used or just those flexible sticks ?

Interesting. Wonder if any impact weapon can be used or just those flexible sticks ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Custom helmets would be cool though.
    Yup. Custom colors just like motocross or bobsled. You ever hear Nascar fans complaining that they can't find their favorite driver on the course?

Also, blacklights, flourescents and BL reactive paint on the weapons and suit detailing. So they will glow and leave trails, especially when swinging weapons.

It would be like watching TRON fights!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Yup. Custom colors just like motocross or bobsled. You ever hear Nascar fans complaining that they can't find their favorite driver on the course?
    One of the Dog Bros does awesome custom fencing masks

Also, blacklights, flourescents and BL reactive paint on the weapons and suit detailing. So they will glow and leave trails, especially when swinging weapons.

It would be like watching TRON fights!
    Not sure if serious, but I approve.

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 12:42pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the suit sense how powerful a hit is? see this ending up like wekaf matches which imo creates a problem for spectators. The matches are fast, close, and it's hard to see what's going on. The armor is part of the problem, players have no need to block or use powerful blows so the result is tag with a stick. The need for defense slows down the fight somewhat which is better for spectators and practical demonstration of the art. Ok speaking from an FMA/stickfighters perspective though, if the goal is to simulate a blade match, this may be a step in the right direction but i don't see what separates it from fencing, except of course the cool suits.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    The armor is part of the problem, players have no need to block or use powerful blows so the result is tag with a stick. The need for defense slows down the fight somewhat which is better for spectators and practical demonstration of the art.
    I am hoping it has pain sensors like those home made laser tag vests that people make out of TENS/EMS unit parts. So if you get hit it hurts, just doesn't shatter your bones or eviscerate you. I want to see some staff fights.

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Don't know if want. How much impact can those sensors take before they spaz out and you're out a couple of thousand dollars?
    One certainly can make pressure sensors that can take the load and still be pretty accurate.
    http://www.cutedigi.com/sensor/flexf...tml#googlebase
    http://www.cutedigi.com/pub/sensor/Flex/MSI-techman.pdf
    gives it a mechanical resistance of 10^6 Pascals
    Not willing to do the conversion to force but it should hold up quite an impact.
    That is with a $2.66 vibration sensor.
    I am sure if I actually dug into it I could find a piezoelectric film sensor that is better suited to this sort of project.
    Point being the sensors shouldn't be a problem.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 4:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Does the suit sense how powerful a hit is? see this ending up like wekaf matches which imo creates a problem for spectators. The matches are fast, close, and it's hard to see what's going on. The armor is part of the problem, players have no need to block or use powerful blows so the result is tag with a stick. The need for defense slows down the fight somewhat which is better for spectators and practical demonstration of the art. Ok speaking from an FMA/stickfighters perspective though, if the goal is to simulate a blade match, this may be a step in the right direction but i don't see what separates it from fencing, except of course the cool suits.
    Yes, the sensors calculate impact force and the computer system instantly cross-checks that data against certain thresholds - the force needed to break bones, penetrate muscle etc. So, basically, there's no need for judges to estimate whether a given strike to a "vital target" *would* have been disabling if the fighters weren't wearing armor. IMO that instant force feedback is also likely to make the matches more defense-oriented than WEKAF sparring, in that a single hit to a key target can literally end the match.

There's also talk of hooking the system up to a giant video monitor that would show the "real life" effect of each blow via CGI, as it happens and in slow-mo replay.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Dramatic effect?

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Other videos show impact testing with bo strikes, etc., but I assume it's safest with lighter weapons.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but is there enough interest from both a fighter and spectator point to be worth the money?? From what I have seen most things like this are done with such small scale interest that they die before they gain any real steam. It's not really a criticism just wondering.
    They're trying to start something new, so I'd say they're in pretty much the same position as the pioneers of the UFC. It's definitely a gamble and much will depend on how it's marketed.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    I am hoping it has pain sensors like those home made laser tag vests that people make out of TENS/EMS unit parts. So if you get hit it hurts, just doesn't shatter your bones or eviscerate you. I want to see some staff fights.
    You just had to Rule 34 the armor thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast