Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2014 5:52am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blind Martists on the forum?

Is there any more blind / visually impaired MArtists here on the forum?

I have just recently come back to the MAs after a year long break. I needed the time to deal with other practical stuff of losing my eye sight (such as learn how to read Braille and use a cane... And to grieve.)

And I just moved. But now I have found a Judo club where they have training for people with disabilities. Will check it out this week.

Are there any not seeing judoka or other visually impaired MArtists who want to discuss experiences and how to deal with visual disability and the Martial arts?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2014 10:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2014 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, thanks.

Posted On:
    2/22/2014 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that I sometimes roll in BJJ with my eyes closed and not just after the times I get poked in the eye. Not entirely sure why I do it but at times it seems to actually help sometimes.

Also Blind Judo is a sport.

Best of luck to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2014 2:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Yeah, I didn't use as much eye-sight as I thought, rolling, before. It was not so hard to adapt. Did some defense against striking, though, and that was scarier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2014 4:58pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lost an eye a few years ago. I know it's not the same as full vision loss, but I understand how hard it is to get used to any loss of vision. Judo helped me a lot, I hope it helps you as well.

For what it's worth, my club has two visually impaired fighters training there. Both are goddamn wrecking balls on the mats.

Glad to hear that you're getting on with life. That's the only way to go. Stay Strong!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man.

And I thank God that my loss of eyesight was at least not very painful. Losing an eye sounds like a real ouch. Stay Strong, you too!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2014 2:04pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First time ever to do Judo for me tonight. I am amazed how fun it was!

For me it was also very... ...healing. It was to find my way _home_ again. Both in training and... well... to a _body_ again. To lose eye-sight was also to lose any sense of body for me. To find my way back to a very "bodily" training is something that I simply need to be whole again.

The difference from the jiu-jitsu I have done earlier is really the "tumbling". A lot of tumbling. Lots and lots of tumbling. It is somewhat scary, still, not seeing. And I lose any sense of direction. But fun, anyway.

Today, I got to roll with a brown belt and I am a little surprised by how well that went. But really, really happy. I am so glad to have found a place to train, to find new friends and to find a way to train that works for people with disability.

UmeŚ Judo - I love you! Now, let's roll!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2014 6:24pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am willing to bet that you'll become one of those goddamn ashi-waza snipers. Seems that whenever I go with a visually impaired judoka I get swept constantly. I think it comes from relying on the feeling of the other persons movement instead of sight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2014 5:45am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    I am willing to bet that you'll become one of those goddamn ashi-waza snipers. Seems that whenever I go with a visually impaired judoka I get swept constantly. I think it comes from relying on the feeling of the other persons movement instead of sight.
    Hahaha! Thanks! I hope you're right.

(My tactics is basically "Well, if you WANT to fall that way, I won't stop you...")