Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I squat three times a week (I mix in bands, chains, and front squats...and occasionally mix up stances), but I also almost never do "leg days" where I'm just blowing it up with body building parameters and accessories.
    How can you squat three times a week and NOT be a miserable wreck of a human being?

I gave up squatting twice a week because I wanted to kill everyone, all the time.

What kind of weight do you push in your 3 a week sessions? Some days must be lighter than others I assume?

McClaw: I feel ya with not being able to gain weight. When I really committed to gaining weight, my breakfast was 5 scrambled eggs (with cheese, onions, green peppers) two pieces of toast with peanut butter, chocolate milk with two scoops of whey protein, and usually some fruit within about two hours of finishing that. Still only gained 10 lbs in 6 months! You gotta eat until you don't want to eat anymore!! It can be suprinsingly challenging!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 8:17am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Operation: Get Swole

Yes, I'll only go for a PR maybe once a month...at most.

About 1x a week I'll do a 5x5 back squat, somewhere around 225-255...which is heavy for me.

The other two times a week ill do something different, maybe a 6x3 speed work at around 235; speed work with 3inch bands at around 175-185, maybe box squats at around 345, front squat at whatever I do those (been awhile), etc. Sometimes well do super light weight and do and a three second iso hold at the bottom of the movement (185-195ish). I also run about 5xwk, especially on days a squat. I feel like running helps push blood into the legs to facilitate repair and helps kick the lactic acid out...by running, I mean like 9min miles for 2miles then 30min of stretching.

I rarely, maybe once every other week, do a workout with isolation as an emphasis (I'll finish workouts with light accessories though, but I pretty much stick to compound), I'm rarely sore (much less so than when I did muscle group centric workouts), I keep my rep range in the mid level (15-25, only go in the 40's for band and cable stuff).
    Last edited by daishi; 4/01/2014 8:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:26pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    How can you squat three times a week and NOT be a miserable wreck of a human being?

I gave up squatting twice a week because I wanted to kill everyone, all the time.

What kind of weight do you push in your 3 a week sessions? Some days must be lighter than others I assume?
    I used to squat 3 days a week, and still do sometimes. The Madcow program has you do this, and you do get used to it. It was heavy, light, medium days, back squats all. I am no longer doing Madcow, but still go three days a week some weeks. I've started varying which lifts I do a it a bit more to avoid burnout.

I'm doing a Westside-inspired program now. One heavy squat day ramping to single max, one speed day of around 50-60% 1rm, or a bit lower than that for jump squats. Third day is either medium back squat, or more often front squats.

People are built for different lifts. I pack on a ton of mass in my legs easily, and tend to recover from squat days quickly, so maybe this is why I like squatting so much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm in Ohio and lift with Westside guys. Guy at our gym just set a raw bench record shortly after he moved down to Columbus to work with Simmons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am most envious, daishi. That is a hell of a group, and the variance in that program has been great for me. Much less burnout, good gains.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 11:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yeah, I am rarely sore, and my gains have been quite significant. Just to piss you off, my gym is $216 a year and you get a key so it's 24 hrs. Plus all the chalk, bands, chains, DL platforms you want. Plus most guys are super supportive. I mean, you do squats and you have three spotters helping with form correction. We just had a dude weighing 160 soaking wet pull 486 on his DL.

Pretty damn lucky. I travel a lot for work and really appreciate my gym.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** you man. **** you.....

My schedule only really allows 1-2 gym sessions a week, so i always spend at least one doing DL/Squats, and I usually try pushing my max on those days. I'm usually sore for 2-3 days....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yeah, a 24 hr gym is a godsend...pretty much fit in workouts whenevs. My fortunate situation is def not lost on me...amplified by the volume of travel I do for work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Yeah, I am rarely sore, and my gains have been quite significant. Just to piss you off, my gym is $216 a year and you get a key so it's 24 hrs. Plus all the chalk, bands, chains, DL platforms you want. Plus most guys are super supportive. I mean, you do squats and you have three spotters helping with form correction. We just had a dude weighing 160 soaking wet pull 486 on his DL.

Pretty damn lucky. I travel a lot for work and really appreciate my gym.
    Well, my gym doesn't have the best equipment, but it is free! (Heads to garage) Seriously though, that is awesome. Having some well educated and skilled training partners is incredible, and is what I miss most about going to a proper gym.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I realized I never made a final post on this.
    Operation: Get Swole ended a little less than four weeks ago, and was replaced with Operation: Make Bank.
    In the end, I gained about 7-8 pounds of mass, going from 163 to 171. The upshot of my hardgainer metabolism is that as hard as it is to pack on muscle, it's even harder to put on fat. My bodyfat percentage really didn't change.
    Eating was by far the hardest part, and I ended up getting some mass gainer halfway through. I definitely found it made it easier to sneak in an extra thousand calories a day.
    My squat went from 150 to 225. If I had a few more weeks, I probably could've gotten it back up to my personal record of 240. My bench went from 120 to 190, which *is* a new personal record.
    I'm fucking gorgeous. I'm in the best shape of my life, and my hair is a lovely shade of blue. My lovers well appreciate the effort I've put in.
    Sadly, convention season is back in full swing, and I'm spending more days on the road than at home. At best, I'm working out 1-2 times a week. On the upshot, I made seven grand in three weeks, so Operation: Buy a House is shaping up well.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast