Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You only have 4 weeks here. So don't get too crazy with what you want to get out of it. Keep it simple. Compound exercises and lots of food. If you are a hard gainer, then just eat anything you can get your hands on. Don't worry about it. Try to keep sugar to the minimum, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Putting in more calories than you are expending is the key. On top of that, protien. Done. Mass gainer is fine, just know that you are throwing calories into your diet. If you are having trouble getting them in, then that is an acceptable route to take.

Stick with squats, they will pay off. Bench and pullups are also a must. Have fun!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/21/2014 4:58pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some quick thoughts:

You're not going to gain 10lbs of muscle in a month. You might not gain 10lbs of muscle in a year if you're already reasonably well trained. ~1 - 1.5lbs of muscle every 2 weeks or so is far more realistic for most men.

If size and weight gain are your principle goals and you've already trained a more powerlifting style and have a decent strength base, then it makes sense to either add some high(er) rep "isolation" and "assistance" exercises after your main lifts or do a block of training like a bodybuilder in some way. I defer on specific understanding of hypertrophy to Dr. Brad Schoenfled: http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1_158907702.pdf

I will second Lyle McDonald's information as well. The generic bulking routine or variations thereof is very solid for the vast majority of people who want to gain size: http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/01/ly...lking-routine/

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright! Week one update!
    I weighed in post-workout today at 169 lbs, which is officially the most I have ever weighed. Foolishly, I did not weigh myself after my first workout of the program last week, but I had previously been floating around 163-165.
    I'm back on the GOMAD diet and then some, having packed away a solid gallon and a half of Vitamin D on Saturday. Also a new record. I occasionally have trouble force-feeding myself, but force-drinking seems to be a lot easier. Disgusting fact: it's easier to drink vast quantities of liquids that are room temperature, which means I've been chugging warm milk all week long. Yum.
    I'm making steady gains on my compound lifts, notably squats, the weight on which went up 45 lbs in the first week. I seem to have gotten my groove back with squatting technique, and find them less abhorrent then when I started. Guess I just had to shake the rust off.
    I feel fan-fucking-tastic. Doubling up on the weights in the morning and the MMA in the evening is not slowing me down, and my energy level is high.
    I look fan-fucking-tastic. I mean, my hair is a multicolored mess from a failed attempt to go back to platinum, and my face is a multicolored mess from getting the living **** punched out of it on Thursday at sparring night. But everything else, totally fucking gorgeous. And besides, I'm getting the hair taken care of tomorrow, and the bruises just add character.
    Stay metal. \m/
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 2:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 2:39am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the other side effects of the GOMAD diet is constantly peeing like a race horse.
    Don't worry, I'm getting more than enough water.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 7:45am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a thought, after your one month when you are on the road, living out of hotels, sleeping with beautiful talented women etc you might want to think about sticking a suspension trainer (TRX) in your case. I've always found hotel gyms are **** and found that I can get a better workout using a suspension trainer.

TRX is the best but hugely expensive, I've recently bought myself a $25 version that works just as well.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you have one week left, right? How have you progressed? What's your revised target?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:44am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking from a guy who spends 185 days a year on the road for work:

Try to resist the urge to use the Smith Machine for squats. Its really just no good.

If you buy a couples sets of bands - I'd say one once and three inch sets - you can simulate heavier weight where ample weight plates are not available. It also helps with correcting lockout issues.

Cutting weight on squats in favor of form as already been discussed, and I agree. Its really important. As far as 'ass to grass' I go to just where my hips are below my knees...so a little more than 90 degrees.

Breathing probably has made the biggest difference to me in squats. I went from squatting 275 to 335 in one day simply due to breath control. Get as much air as possible in your lungs. If you are doing it right, when you unpack, the weight on your shoulders feels super light, like its floating...at least thats how it feels to me. I breath out slow and continuous as soon as my ass passes my knees. Exhaling before that can **** you up.

I squat three times a week (I mix in bands, chains, and front squats...and occasionally mix up stances), but I also almost never do "leg days" where I'm just blowing it up with body building parameters and accessories.

They are harder to find, but if you can locate local powerlifting gyms you may have a better experience than getting a week, or whatever, pass to Planet Shitness or wherever. Plus they are more likely to be amicable toward a day/week pass than those health club type places that want you to sign a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    One of the other side effects of the GOMAD diet is constantly peeing like a race horse.
    Don't worry, I'm getting more than enough water.
    You can make TRX bands at home for very reasonable costs. There are instructions online. They are way overpriced.

The 'original' TRX band is close to half the price....can't remember what its called though. Saw it on an Strenghtcamp video on Youtube.

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 12:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you're past the one month mark. How'd it go?

Glad to see you were doing GOMAD -- I did the LOMAD variation (Litre) to pack on close to 20lbs in a month but minimize fat gain. Eating was always the hardest part.

If you find yourself wanting to go up again, check out the book The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. He has two programs for rapid mass gain; one called Occam's Protocol and another called Geek to Freak. Occam's is a stripped down, 80% of the results method and is what I used. G2F is the kitchen sink and laboratory approach that Ferriss used to do 30+lbs in a month and actually drop bodyfat % in the process.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 4:04pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to the squats, you don't have to do full depth a2g squats to get the mass you want. However, it sounds like you are into MMA and want to be athletic. Doing exercises within a limited range of motion largely means you increasing your strength largely within that plane of motion. Keep full depth squats in your routine but supplement with some box squats and leg press if you feel like your legs didn't get enough out of it. I find that doing half squats and leg press make my legs awfully inflexible over time and usually make my knees hurt. Full squats on the other hand, don't.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast