Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 1:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!

What a terrible Heel Hook...

I am not sure of the context as watching UFC in my time zone is just not feasible. But what a terrible heel hook. I feel this is the result of "catch and release" training where people feel heel hooks are too dangerous to finish in training or people being so scared of them that they tap to the sight of the lock rather than the lock itself.

There is zero control over that leg, no control of his balance and those toes aren't even trapped when he is cranking on the heel. The only reason he didn't escape is because he was having more fun posing.
    Last edited by Plasma; 2/02/2014 1:46pm at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 2:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hail mary at the end of the last round when he's well behind. Desperation rather than incompetence.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 3:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He had 13 seconds to reap the knee or lock an inside triangle or hell even 50/50 sweep and go for an inverted heel hook. Even if it was locked in during the bell it's a real threat. Playing with the heel without locking the toes or controlling the leg isn't a Hail Mary. It's nothing.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What annoyed me even more was Rogan saying "there's some sambo right there", during the earlier attempt.

...except heelhooks aren't allowed in any international sambo rulesets. Him standing up during his opponent's leglock attempt was the most sambo-esque thing that happened.

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 9:29pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    He had 13 seconds to reap the knee or lock an inside triangle or hell even 50/50 sweep and go for an inverted heel hook. Even if it was locked in during the bell it's a real threat. Playing with the heel without locking the toes or controlling the leg isn't a Hail Mary. It's nothing.
    True, I don't know what was going on other than it seemed he didn't know how to enter into it properly if the guy was standing?

Go into a full reap, push on the foot back as well and then roll into a nice controlled toe hold could have also been an *actual* option instead of playing ankle hugs with his bicep, while he lay docile on the bottom.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 10:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That last part came screaming back into my head. "Tap. Tap or I snap".

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 12:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    What annoyed me even more was Rogan saying "there's some sambo right there", during the earlier attempt.

...except heelhooks aren't allowed in any international sambo rulesets. Him standing up during his opponent's leglock attempt was the most sambo-esque thing that happened.

Thank you! Somebody said it.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 10:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post

I am not sure of the context as watching UFC in my time zone is just not feasible. But what a terrible heel hook. I feel this is the result of "catch and release" training where people feel heel hooks are too dangerous to finish in training or people being so scared of them that they tap to the sight of the lock rather than the lock itself.

There is zero control over that leg, no control of his balance and those toes aren't even trapped when he is cranking on the heel. The only reason he didn't escape is because he was having more fun posing.
    I don't think it is a result of "catch and release." It is simply a result of poor understanding of leg locks. "Catch and release" or not, if one does not understand leg locks, they won't be able to pull them off. We train "catch and release" all the time with heel hooks, but nail them in competition. Not a problem. That poor display really say a lot about his and his coaching team's lack of leg lock fundamentals, not about "catch and release."

This kind of goes back to my hierarchy of foot locks. Always go for achilles lock first, then transition to heel hook ONCE leg control is established. Learn to do solid achilles locks with proper leg control and heel hooks will be cake. Problem is people rush to the heel hook and disregard position. The achilles lock is what keeps you and you opponent connected until leg control is established.

This guy clearly did not know how to control the leg, hips, and balance of his opponent.

I would selfishly add that Al Iaquinta's scissor takedown to heel hook attempt on Kevin Lee was a thing on beauty. I taught him that years ago when I was coaching at his gym in Long Island. It brought a tear to my eye ;) Sadly he did not finish it, but the leg control was great! If Lee was not grabbing Al's glove it would have been all over. He pulled the same scissor off when he won the 2007 ASA North American Freestyle Sambo Championships (I gotta digitize those vids).

Last edited by sambosteve; 2/15/2014 10:34pm at .
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 4:01am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post

I thought it was allowed in combat sambo but not sport sambo? Either way, its pretty silly to assume all leg attacks are somehow sambo.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I thought it was allowed in combat sambo but not sport sambo? Either way, its pretty silly to assume all leg attacks are somehow sambo.
    Heelhooks aren't allowed in combat sambo, either. The one exception, of sorts, is that they are allowed in the A div of freestyle sambo... But freestyle is an American creation, and not the internationally recognized ruleset. In many ways, though, it is truly the best and most realistic ruleset out there. No one style has a clear advantage.

Ask sambosteve about it. He was one of the progenitors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast