Sponsored Links Spacer Image

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 1:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking of hitting the p90x and insanity ab workouts. I'm also eating much cleaner to keep from getting fat.

This is my 2nd surgery (2 stage reconstruction) and having had to wait almost a year to get to this point (thanks, Navy Doctors!) I'm unwilling to risk anything.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 1:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 2:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You might find biking a PITA if you can't rest your weight on your bad hand. I don't bike seriously but a friend of mine who does says it's tough getting a good workout on the bike in the city due to all the stop and go, they head out of town for long rides. Personally I've always found my quads get trashed before I'm anywhere near a good cardio workout. I probably just need to be in better biking shape.
    I agree on the wrist thing but i'm guessing you're using too high of a gear, or (less likely) that your riding position is off.
    Do you keep a cadence?

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 2:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    What's the issue with running, the pounding? How about ellipticals or stair climbers?
    ???

Seriously, there are not many vigorous things you can do that are easier on the wrists than running.

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 11:25am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I agree on the wrist thing but i'm guessing you're using too high of a gear, or (less likely) that your riding position is off.
    Do you keep a cadence?
    I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff wrong, I'm an occasional commute type of guy. No cadence for sure. I get my cardio from running.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 2:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    ???

Seriously, there are not many vigorous things you can do that are easier on the wrists than running.
    The chance of a fall is, ''too great'' and I could possibly rupture the repair. My command will absolutely burn me if I don't follow the Dr.'s recommendations to a T

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 8:53pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Biking would be out by that logic.

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 12:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Facebook this because it was an interesting dilemma.

From the danimal who is an exelent fitness coach.
    You need to grip handlebars to ride a bike- therefore hands are used. Plus falling off a bike would hurt more than falling whilst running... If the guy is dead set against running, riding would be good and a heap of squatting with a weight vest or something. Travel lunging, jump lunging, AB work... Heaps of hand free exercises. Tie bloody ankle weights around your feet and walk up 20 flights of stairs...

And pool exercises
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the impact from running is too much, how can OP be expected to do any kind of jumping? And this swimming idea.....part of what propels one forward is the pressure of water against their hand.....

If OP is deadset on finding ways around the Naval officer's orders, he needs to consult a private physician.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Road biking blows if you are not going to ride more than 10 miles in one go. 20 preferably. Mountain biking is a lot better for exercise if you have good hills, but you will NOT want to do this with your wrist as it is. I get more bruises from mountain biking than I do from stick fighting. Wipeouts are frequent. Good wipeouts too where you endo the bike.

Here is a good workout for you: Get on a recumbent bike and set the level to a high enough level that you can go at a good cadence but not so low that it is easy. All these bikes are different, so you will just have to find the level for yourself. Go up to where you have to work hard to pedle then back it off a couple levels. Push hard for 10 minutes. Aftter 10 minutes, jump off the bike and do 25 squats. As soon as you are done with the squats, get back on the bike and do another 10 minutes at the same level. Repeat this until you have done 40 minutes of biking and 100 squats total.

I do this workout all the time and it works great. It gets the heart rate up and maintains it. It allows you to put high intensity intervals in there for your muscles. And will gas your legs good. You keep this workout up throughout your limited duty status and you will be good to go when you get back to full duty.

Road biking blows if you are not going to ride more than 10 miles in one go. 20 preferably. Mountain biking is a lot better for exercise if you have good hills, but you will NOT want to do this with your wrist as it is. I get more bruises from mountain biking than I do from stick fighting. Wipeouts are frequent. Good wipeouts too where you endo the bike.

Here is a good workout for you: Get on a recumbent bike and set the level to a high enough level that you can go at a good cadence but not so low that it is easy. All these bikes are different, so you will just have to find the level for yourself. Go up to where you have to work hard to pedle then back it off a couple levels. Push hard for 10 minutes. Aftter 10 minutes, jump off the bike and do 25 squats. As soon as you are done with the squats, get back on the bike and do another 10 minutes at the same level. Repeat this until you have done 40 minutes of biking and 100 squats total.

I do this workout all the time and it works great. It gets the heart rate up and maintains it. It allows you to put high intensity intervals in there for your muscles. And will gas your legs good. You keep this workout up throughout your limited duty status and you will be good to go when you get back to full duty.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast