United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 4:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Get moose not fat thread!

Hey gents,

I just underwent some reconstruction of some hand tendons, and am thus unable to run, lift, or do anything involving pushing or pulling or gripping with my weak, feminine hand.

How can I stay in shape and not turn into a fatty with no exercise ability? I'm still active duty military, so once I come off of my limdu period, my command is going to look at me like I'm miraculously healed. I'm thinking biking, and will be getting a bicycle to bike into work (5 miles each way).

What else can I do? Squats? Crunches? Any sample workouts or exercise ideas for me?

-moose

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 5:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Barbell squats, one-arm overhead presses with a dumbbell or kettlebell, one-arm kettlebell swings/cleans/snatches, sprints, distance runs, one-arm dumbbell rows and bench presses...just like always, it's lift heavy things, sprint, and stretch. You just can't do pull-ups, deadlifts, or other 2-arm pushes and pulls. What do you do normally?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 5:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't do anything that involves gripping or run. No weights, no running :/

I was thinking of just doing circuits of air squats, box jumps, crunches, flutter kicks, etc, but that gets boring

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 5:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it both hands or just one? Do you have a good hand to do gripping and heavy lifting with? If not, then yeah: air squats, lunges, Cossacks, pistol (one-legged) squats, King (one-legged) deadlifts would be my go-to exercises.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about swimming, Grandmaster Moose...?

Or taking up Yoga...?

Other than that, I'm thinking Leg raises, bridging, squats.

I'm also thinking, better informed people than me should be commenting on specific exercises. So, feel free to ignore what I wrote. Apart from the swimming, I think that's a good idea, if I do say so myself.

Hope you're keeping well, Moose.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 1:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming! That should work!

Also biking, gents how much does biking translate into running? And how much biking should I be doing to hve a sexy beach bod?

1point, I only have one hand for grabbing.

I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 6:20pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might find biking a PITA if you can't rest your weight on your bad hand. I don't bike seriously but a friend of mine who does says it's tough getting a good workout on the bike in the city due to all the stop and go, they head out of town for long rides. Personally I've always found my quads get trashed before I'm anywhere near a good cardio workout. I probably just need to be in better biking shape.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 8:21pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You might find biking a PITA if you can't rest your weight on your bad hand. I don't bike seriously but a friend of mine who does says it's tough getting a good workout on the bike in the city due to all the stop and go, they head out of town for long rides. Personally I've always found my quads get trashed before I'm anywhere near a good cardio workout. I probably just need to be in better biking shape.
    Good point here re: weight on bad hand. A pair of triathlon bars should be able to fix that fairly easily, but are slightly difficult to get used to and will do you no good in stop and go.

This is totally subjective, but I feel like a 5:1 ratio of biking to running distance is about right. So every mile of running is about equivalent to 5 miles on a bike. Obviously, this can vary a lot depending on equipment used.

Neil's point about putting weight on your bad hand is a very good one, and if there's a lot of traffic to and from work then it might be unavoidable. Add to that the very real chances of someone knocking you off the bike in traffic and undoing your surgery and road biking might not be the best idea.

As much as I hate to say it, your best bet might be to spend your normal PT time at the post gym on a stationary recumbent bike.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 9:36pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the issue with running, the pounding? How about ellipticals or stair climbers?

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 12:46am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went through a similar hand surgery, i ended up just getting fat because any form of jarring exercise sucked and i was extremely paranoid about bumping it with weight lifting. I was out of training for 3-4 months.

In my opinion, do whatever form of cardio you feel safe with and let your body heal. Eat heaps of protein and keep calories in check to reduce muscle loss/fat gain and focus on developing another aspect of your life with the free time.
    Last edited by Sang; 2/17/2014 12:52am at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast