Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 12:10pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Realistic Bug Out Gear

First off, I am not posting a list of my recommended gear. The questions following should point you in the right direction, for you.

What I am doing is questioning, with the goal of narrowing choices, what would be included in Bug Out gear should SHTF.

Let's say you have a bug out bag standing by. I have a few questions.

Is this bag for you only? Is this bag geared for urban or rural survival? Does this bag include a break-down weapon and ammo? Have you planned on how you will get from point A to point B, and do you have backup plans? Do you include barter items in your bug out bag? Is your bug out bag a ruck you can strap on or a larger equipment bag that requires transport?

What are the circumstances of your having to get out of Dodge? Is it a natural disaster that prevents shelter in place? Is it a cataclysmic event as a result of terrorism? General civil unrest that is headed your way? Is NBC a factor?

These situations would cause the trained individual to consider different options for the basic food/shelter/defense requirements, pre-supposing they are not otherwise obligated to a government agency. Maybe your plan is to grab your trusty pre-supplied ruck and your favorite rifle and head out the door. Maybe stealth/avoiding detection is not a consideration. Maybe you have a family and have devised a plan to meet up at a rally point and then head to your ultimate destination where you have supplies/shelter cached. Maybe you have a team of individuals you know and trust to meet up and establish a base camp.

Whatever your plan, let's hear it. Gloom and doom, zombie apocolypse, infrastructure attacks by domestic terrorists, whatever.

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 4:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the thing, where I live if SHTF I much rather castle up then bug out.
    Mainly because of water San Diego is pretty arid. I can stock pile enough water in my house to ride out the worse of what ever. Its going to be hard to carry enough with me on my back for me and my family.
    We have surprisingly few places to go with mountains to the east, an ocean to the west and Mexico to the south.

That being said still being prepared is important. I havn't gotten around to it yet but I would like to pick up a ruggedised laptop or table and a portable solar charger. This will allow me to run an Software defined radio, have at least digital copies of all my important documents, and other useful information such as wild edibles, survial manuel, first aid instructions and maps. Information is always gold in an emergency.
    Beyond the laptop and water
    A set of lock picks, Bolt Cutters and a Multi Tool
    Depending on the emergency a firearm and ammo
    Space blanket
    Backpacking stove and fuel
    Small mess kit
    Small first aide kit.
    And of course dry foods such as MRIs.

Forgot flashlight damn that would be bad flashlight and of course a fire starter of some sorts also a top priority.

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 11:38pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are in cyclone season again here so I am set up to leave if the house gets flooded.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 12:02pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least you are making plans.

One of the scenarios I was thinking of would be such that sheltering, or castling, in place was not an option. Imagine a seismic event that damaged your home to make it unusable/uninhabitable.

At least you are making plans.

One of the scenarios I was thinking of would be such that sheltering, or castling, in place was not an option. Imagine a seismic event that damaged your home to make it unusable/uninhabitable.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 3:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the thing, where I live if SHTF I much rather castle up then bug out.
    Mainly because of water San Diego is pretty arid. I can stock pile enough water in my house to ride out the worse of what ever. Its going to be hard to carry enough with me on my back for me and my family.
    We have surprisingly few places to go with mountains to the east, an ocean to the west and Mexico to the south.