Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 12:10pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Realistic Bug Out Gear

First off, I am not posting a list of my recommended gear. The questions following should point you in the right direction, for you.

What I am doing is questioning, with the goal of narrowing choices, what would be included in Bug Out gear should SHTF.

Let's say you have a bug out bag standing by. I have a few questions.

Is this bag for you only? Is this bag geared for urban or rural survival? Does this bag include a break-down weapon and ammo? Have you planned on how you will get from point A to point B, and do you have backup plans? Do you include barter items in your bug out bag? Is your bug out bag a ruck you can strap on or a larger equipment bag that requires transport?

What are the circumstances of your having to get out of Dodge? Is it a natural disaster that prevents shelter in place? Is it a cataclysmic event as a result of terrorism? General civil unrest that is headed your way? Is NBC a factor?

These situations would cause the trained individual to consider different options for the basic food/shelter/defense requirements, pre-supposing they are not otherwise obligated to a government agency. Maybe your plan is to grab your trusty pre-supplied ruck and your favorite rifle and head out the door. Maybe stealth/avoiding detection is not a consideration. Maybe you have a family and have devised a plan to meet up at a rally point and then head to your ultimate destination where you have supplies/shelter cached. Maybe you have a team of individuals you know and trust to meet up and establish a base camp.

Whatever your plan, let's hear it. Gloom and doom, zombie apocolypse, infrastructure attacks by domestic terrorists, whatever.

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 4:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the thing, where I live if SHTF I much rather castle up then bug out.
    Mainly because of water San Diego is pretty arid. I can stock pile enough water in my house to ride out the worse of what ever. Its going to be hard to carry enough with me on my back for me and my family.
    We have surprisingly few places to go with mountains to the east, an ocean to the west and Mexico to the south.

That being said still being prepared is important. I havn't gotten around to it yet but I would like to pick up a ruggedised laptop or table and a portable solar charger. This will allow me to run an Software defined radio, have at least digital copies of all my important documents, and other useful information such as wild edibles, survial manuel, first aid instructions and maps. Information is always gold in an emergency.
    Beyond the laptop and water
    A set of lock picks, Bolt Cutters and a Multi Tool
    Depending on the emergency a firearm and ammo
    Space blanket
    Backpacking stove and fuel
    Small mess kit
    Small first aide kit.
    And of course dry foods such as MRIs.

Forgot flashlight damn that would be bad flashlight and of course a fire starter of some sorts also a top priority.

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 11:38pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are in cyclone season again here so I am set up to leave if the house gets flooded.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 12:02pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least you are making plans.

One of the scenarios I was thinking of would be such that sheltering, or castling, in place was not an option. Imagine a seismic event that damaged your home to make it unusable/uninhabitable.

At least you are making plans.

One of the scenarios I was thinking of would be such that sheltering, or castling, in place was not an option. Imagine a seismic event that damaged your home to make it unusable/uninhabitable.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 3:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the thing, where I live if SHTF I much rather castle up then bug out.
    Mainly because of water San Diego is pretty arid. I can stock pile enough water in my house to ride out the worse of what ever. Its going to be hard to carry enough with me on my back for me and my family.
    We have surprisingly few places to go with mountains to the east, an ocean to the west and Mexico to the south.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/04/2014 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, my problem when I was in Vegas would have been water. Assuming that I have to leave the city, I can carry like 2 days of water max along with other gear, my AR with 210 rounds of ammo, and my sidearm. Optimistically I could make it through 20 miles of rough terrain in a direction of my choice before running of out water and basically dying shortly after.

An off road vehicle that can go across open desert is seemingly pretty mandatory for bug out bag in desert settings. But of course I suppose that pretty much compromises stealth.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    5/04/2014 1:14pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a reservist in the British army reserve so I have my own personal Bergen kept at home and packed at all times, my day sack is strapped to that and it all goes over my webbing. It's a lot of gear but I can support myself quite happily in the uk general climate for several days. It can all be broken down easily enough and worn or tossed individually if need be and I can tab 8 miles with it all on and not have too many problems. So at a slower pace should cover more ground.

Two things I need to sort out though and that's a computer of some sort (good shout goodlun!) and a firearm of some sort.

I don't have a family so it's designed for solo but I could supoort another if they had a sleeping bag.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/04/2014 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I'm a reservist in the British army reserve so I have my own personal Bergen kept at home and packed at all times, my day sack is strapped to that and it all goes over my webbing. It's a lot of gear but I can support myself quite happily in the uk general climate for several days. It can all be broken down easily enough and worn or tossed individually if need be and I can tab 8 miles with it all on and not have too many problems. So at a slower pace should cover more ground.

Two things I need to sort out though and that's a computer of some sort (good shout goodlun!) and a firearm of some sort.

I don't have a family so it's designed for solo but I could supoort another if they had a sleeping bag.
    What kind of firearm can you get in the UK?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 2:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a great deal. Shotguns with a 3 cartridge limit if you have a shotgun license, these aren't too hard to obtain aslong as you have a safe place to store them, also the police need to sign these off. Then theres a firearms license which is for target and hunting rifles and pistols. These are hard to obtain as you need to give a reason for ownership, have background checks done etc and everything would be small calibre and mostly be straight pull or bolt action.

You can legally get hold AR15's for target and hunting, they need to be straight pull but I think you can get a 20 or even 30 round magazine for them legally but I'd need to google that to be sure. Silencers are legal as well as they're seen as a safety measure for heating damage and noise pollution.

It's an admin ball-ache to go through all this and whilst they're super popular with enthusiasts they're extremely rare. If you're out legally stalking with one and a member of the public sees you with one chances are they **** the bed, thinks it's an assault rifle and call the cops.

If you want something more immediate and gutsy, like most countries, head to a city with a couple of grand and you could portably get whatever you wanted if you searches hard and carefully enough. And obviously be prepared to go to prison for a long time if you're caught.

I think firearms, legal or otherwise, even a .22 pistol or an old shotgun would be golden in this country if things went wrong as they're so rare, it just depends on which route you want to take.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 2:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post.

Mrs Kovacs.