Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bumping this thread as I really do want to know the answer of the above question from someone more qualified than I (which is pretty much anyone).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 3:05pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
    If I have the grips I want, and I have control, then I won't let go of my grip, shed their grip, and then re-establish my own grip. The key is recognizing who has control of the grips.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
    Honestly I personally not too picky. Only against a pan am medalist black belt have I ever had an issue passing spider guard. (EVERYONE COME SEE HOW AWESOME I AM)

I was speaking to how they are getting into the spider guard position in the first place. Good posture, and angling your shoulders, and refusal to accept their grips is how I stop people from ever getting there or making SG useful.

If they get sleeve grips on me as long as I have a more dominant grip or the superior angle, it won't matter. For example they have double sleeve grips and are trying for spider guard, I like crowding them with a staggered stance establishing a collar grip regrip their sleeve and attempt knee cut pass.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Honestly I personally not too picky. Only against a pan am medalist black belt have I ever had an issue passing spider guard. (EVERYONE COME SEE HOW AWESOME I AM)

I was speaking to how they are getting into the spider guard position in the first place. Good posture, and angling your shoulders, and refusal to accept their grips is how I stop people from ever getting there or making SG useful.

If they get sleeve grips on me as long as I have a more dominant grip or the superior angle, it won't matter. For example they have double sleeve grips and are trying for spider guard, I like crowding them with a staggered stance establishing a collar grip regrip their sleeve and attempt knee cut pass.
    This thread is kind of the typical "how escape bad position I let develop in the first place" kind of thing.

If I let a guy get his favorite position on me it's going to be hell to escape. Not impossible, but difficult to say the least.

Prevention is the best cure as a couple of posters, yourself included, have noted.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    This thread is kind of the typical "how escape bad position I let develop in the first place" kind of thing.

If I let a guy get his favorite position on me it's going to be hell to escape. Not impossible, but difficult to say the least.

Prevention is the best cure as a couple of posters, yourself included, have noted.
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the comments.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 6:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.

Damned nice video ! It's analogous to grip fighting in Judo in many ways.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/25/2014 6:55pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That's a really clean pass.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12