Page 2 of 2 First 12
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bumping this thread as I really do want to know the answer of the above question from someone more qualified than I (which is pretty much anyone).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
    If I have the grips I want, and I have control, then I won't let go of my grip, shed their grip, and then re-establish my own grip. The key is recognizing who has control of the grips.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
    Honestly I personally not too picky. Only against a pan am medalist black belt have I ever had an issue passing spider guard. (EVERYONE COME SEE HOW AWESOME I AM)

I was speaking to how they are getting into the spider guard position in the first place. Good posture, and angling your shoulders, and refusal to accept their grips is how I stop people from ever getting there or making SG useful.

If they get sleeve grips on me as long as I have a more dominant grip or the superior angle, it won't matter. For example they have double sleeve grips and are trying for spider guard, I like crowding them with a staggered stance establishing a collar grip regrip their sleeve and attempt knee cut pass.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Honestly I personally not too picky. Only against a pan am medalist black belt have I ever had an issue passing spider guard. (EVERYONE COME SEE HOW AWESOME I AM)

I was speaking to how they are getting into the spider guard position in the first place. Good posture, and angling your shoulders, and refusal to accept their grips is how I stop people from ever getting there or making SG useful.

If they get sleeve grips on me as long as I have a more dominant grip or the superior angle, it won't matter. For example they have double sleeve grips and are trying for spider guard, I like crowding them with a staggered stance establishing a collar grip regrip their sleeve and attempt knee cut pass.
    This thread is kind of the typical "how escape bad position I let develop in the first place" kind of thing.

If I let a guy get his favorite position on me it's going to be hell to escape. Not impossible, but difficult to say the least.

Prevention is the best cure as a couple of posters, yourself included, have noted.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    This thread is kind of the typical "how escape bad position I let develop in the first place" kind of thing.

If I let a guy get his favorite position on me it's going to be hell to escape. Not impossible, but difficult to say the least.

Prevention is the best cure as a couple of posters, yourself included, have noted.
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the comments.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.

Damned nice video ! It's analogous to grip fighting in Judo in many ways.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That's a really clean pass.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Page 2 of 2 First 12