Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,939
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bumping this thread as I really do want to know the answer of the above question from someone more qualified than I (which is pretty much anyone).

  2. #12
    AKRhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
    If I have the grips I want, and I have control, then I won't let go of my grip, shed their grip, and then re-establish my own grip. The key is recognizing who has control of the grips.

  3. #13
    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    DKJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
    Honestly I personally not too picky. Only against a pan am medalist black belt have I ever had an issue passing spider guard. (EVERYONE COME SEE HOW AWESOME I AM)

    I was speaking to how they are getting into the spider guard position in the first place. Good posture, and angling your shoulders, and refusal to accept their grips is how I stop people from ever getting there or making SG useful.

    If they get sleeve grips on me as long as I have a more dominant grip or the superior angle, it won't matter. For example they have double sleeve grips and are trying for spider guard, I like crowding them with a staggered stance establishing a collar grip regrip their sleeve and attempt knee cut pass.

  4. #14
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Honestly I personally not too picky. Only against a pan am medalist black belt have I ever had an issue passing spider guard. (EVERYONE COME SEE HOW AWESOME I AM)

    I was speaking to how they are getting into the spider guard position in the first place. Good posture, and angling your shoulders, and refusal to accept their grips is how I stop people from ever getting there or making SG useful.

    If they get sleeve grips on me as long as I have a more dominant grip or the superior angle, it won't matter. For example they have double sleeve grips and are trying for spider guard, I like crowding them with a staggered stance establishing a collar grip regrip their sleeve and attempt knee cut pass.
    This thread is kind of the typical "how escape bad position I let develop in the first place" kind of thing.

    If I let a guy get his favorite position on me it's going to be hell to escape. Not impossible, but difficult to say the least.

    Prevention is the best cure as a couple of posters, yourself included, have noted.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  5. #15
    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    DKJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    This thread is kind of the typical "how escape bad position I let develop in the first place" kind of thing.

    If I let a guy get his favorite position on me it's going to be hell to escape. Not impossible, but difficult to say the least.

    Prevention is the best cure as a couple of posters, yourself included, have noted.
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.


  6. #16
    Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,939
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the comments.

  7. #17
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.

    Damned nice video ! It's analogous to grip fighting in Judo in many ways.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  8. #18
    ignatzami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,849
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Yeah, I should qualify that's if they don't already have spider guard. Once they get spider guard that's different. Then I follow the Mendes recommendations below.

    That's a really clean pass.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO