Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 6:42pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spider Guard & Grip Breaking

Greetings, I've switched to BJJ from Judo a few months back, and am progressing well. However, I keep running into people in my club that pull spider guard, and I simply can't get past it.

Usually, they end up gripping both my sleeves, and I can't break the grip, or pass the guard. I've seen a few videos on passing spider guard but they all seem fairly low percentage. Really flashy acrobatic type stuff.

I'm curious are there any good videos, or tips, or suggestions, on either breaking the inside the sleeve grips, or passing spider guard?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 6:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spider Guard & Grip Breaking

Greetings, I've switched to BJJ from Judo a few months back, and am progressing well. However, I keep running into people in my club that pull spider guard, and I simply can't get past it.

Usually, they end up gripping both my sleeves, and I can't break the grip, or pass the guard. I've seen a few videos on passing spider guard but they all seem fairly low percentage. Really flashy acrobatic type stuff.

I'm curious are there any good videos, or tips, or suggestions, on either breaking the inside the sleeve grips, or passing spider guard?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He can explain it far better than I can
    so here you go

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't normally rep bitch but given this is a technique forum so I am very curious as to what is wrong with the video and how you would fix said grip break and pass?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General tips.

Keep your elbows close to your body, stagger your stance, turn your shoulders and swim your hands to grip inside their pants.

They are also able to get this position because you're reaching with your arms or allowing them the space to get their feet in once they grip your sleeves. Don't let them grip your sleeves.

There's a million variants of passing, the general principles of posture and grip control for prevention are more useful.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/17/2014 2:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, if someone successfully establishes Spider Guard, I immediately stand up and use my foot or shins to pressure the legs and circle my hands to the inside space.

I noticed Kennan just put out a Spider Guard pass. I like his Guard Passing.

Last edited by Plasma; 2/17/2014 2:09pm at .

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 6:38pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both are great passes, and I've tried to incorporate the first one into my rolling, however, I have a follow up question. Is there a similar pass for when you're in spider on your knees?

I find that, with one gent in my club, that he pulls spider a lot from an open guard position. Do I stand and try to execute one of the passes above? Or, is there a pass from the knees?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2014 6:54pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're way better off standing up than trying to stay on your knees against someone's spider guard. Even if all you do is stand up, pummel your hands inside and get grips, then drop back to your knees to progress.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 1:16pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    You're way better off standing up than trying to stay on your knees against someone's spider guard. Even if all you do is stand up, pummel your hands inside and get grips, then drop back to your knees to progress.
    Makes sense, the blue belt that I roll with that lives in spider is just so freakishly flexible. Even if I break one side, and move to work the other knee, I have a real problem in controlling the now free leg enough to get any sort of forward progress. Frustrating, a good learning experience, but frustrating as hell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 2:09pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Makes sense, the blue belt that I roll with that lives in spider is just so freakishly flexible. Even if I break one side, and move to work the other knee, I have a real problem in controlling the now free leg enough to get any sort of forward progress. Frustrating, a good learning experience, but frustrating as hell.
    Believe me, I know your frustration. My wife goes spider constantly. I'm at the point where I usually stand up, wrap an ankle, and fall back into an ankle attack rather than work to pass her guard anymore.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2014 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    They are also able to get this position because you're reaching with your arms or allowing them the space to get their feet in once they grip your sleeves. Don't let them grip your sleeves.
    Will you give up a sleeve grip for a good grip on their pants though? As long as you can prevent them from getting inside (or outside) control and their foot to your arm, aren't you still in a pretty good spot to start working passes?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast