Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 7:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/JUDO

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible BJJ Fraud Yokouska Japan

1 Introduction: As prominent member of the MMA/BJJ scene in Japan for the last 12 years it was brought to my attention that there was a possible fraud. The name is John Kanei he located in Yokusaka Japan. He claims a 3rd degree BB with the lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Luis Franca > Oswaldo Fadda > Rickson Santos >J.Kanei.

Background: A former student of mine met Mr Kanei at an unsanctioned tourney last year. He in a roundabout sort of way mentioned he wanted to take over the BJJ programs of the 4 major bases in the area. His story seems fishy, but being a somewhat of a newbie he didn't know how to approach it. I did a quick google search and could find no information other than his own, ie. facebook, and guest book posts. His claims have a lot of the tell tale warning signs. Such as 6th degree grandmaster of Krav Maga. Kickboxing world champion.

He entered a small Dumau tourney last year, where he showed off pictures of a gold, and bronze medal. A friend of mine is one of organizers, and said no one was in his bracket so he got gold, and lost his first match in absolute with only 3 others, so he got bronze. Said he did not look good. Dumau does not require membership, and does not check on belt legitimacy like other orgs.

I contacted some friends in Yokosuka. One claimed to have rolled no gi with him, and tapped him. My friend has pro MMA experience but is a blue belt in the gi. Mr. Kanei also recently promoted a very young guy to black belt, who again was tapped by a few lower belts, and gave some really strange comments about already have a BB but "re-qualifying" under Kanei. Also a claim of having trained 18 years in BJJ but only 21 or 22 years old.

Recently a Japanese instructor from the area who would like to remain anonymous inquired about him to me as well. Anyone who has spent time in Japan knows they are very passive by nature and dont like to stir up trouble.

Purpose: I just want to see if anyone has any information. I dont want to stir up too much trouble. I am only 2 hours away from Yokosuka, and plan to make a trip shortly, but I am also military and do not want any backlash from calling someone out. I want to keep this as classy as possible.

I do understand that not every black belt is a world champion or even a national one, and some people have just paid their does over a long time. With that being said Military members are especially susceptible to frauds, and I do my best to keep the scene pure. With a lot of time invested it would be a real slap in the face if he was a fraud.

My background: Also I want to put it out there since its only fair if you are going to call someone out. I am in Atsugi, I currently train BJJ at Clube De Jiujitus in Tokyo. My lineage is: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Rolls Gracie > Romero Cavalcanti > Leonardo Vieira > Toshiyuki "Wado" Sato. I am also a BB in Judo registered in the Kodokan and IJF. I train t Koshinjuku Tomiyoshi dojo in Sagamihara.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 12:34pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.

Does he have a website, or any location online where he makes these claims?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 1:48pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This him?

https://www.facebook.com/john.kanei

This the gym?

https://www.facebook.com/JiuJitsuGrapplinginYokosuka

Here it appears is his lineage claim, though he doesn't state his rank:

http://www.faddajiujitsu.com/guest-book/

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 9:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, That is him. I should have included those links.

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that is him, and his team. I can not post links, but I should have mentioned that more specifically.

He has only been in Japan for maybe year and half, 2 years (or at least advertised that long). So there are no records or persons in country that can verify what he claims is true.

He is not part of an affiliation. Him nor his team is registered with either the Jiu Jitsu Federation of Japan (JJFJ) or Japan Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Federation (JBJJF). I actually have a very good friendship with the president of JJFJ. He created the federation in response to the JBJJF/IBJJF for profit tactics. In order to register your team, or yourself its just a small one time fee. No yearly registration, but you do have to prove your rank.

They have become very successful in hosting tourney's in Japan, their Rickson Gracie International rivals or beats out the IBJJF Asian open in attendance usually. They are also the hosts of the ADCC pro Asian Qualifier. So really no reason to not have yourself or your team registered with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2014 10:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I Googled "Rickson Santos" in conjunction with "Fadda," all I came up with is Mr. Kanei's references to his own purported lineage. If there really is a Rickson Santos out there who made rank directly under Oswaldo Fadda, you'd think there would be other references to him. Are there any non-Gracie BJJ experts on the board?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 12:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may get better luck posting to the BJJGround subforum at mixedmartialarts.com. There is a pretty substantial number of black belts there, and a very large knowledge base about BJJ history.

As for what I can contribute, the only people that I could find who got black belts under Oswaldo Fadda were Henrique Machado, Deoclecio Paulo, and Moacir Salomao. No Rickson Santos, which sounds like a completely made-up name. Assuming the guy is a fake, I'll give him credit for claiming lineage under Fadda as it is definitely more obfuscated and harder to confirm or rebut.

Posted On:
    3/01/2014 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate all the replies.

Do any of you have experience in confronting fakes directly? I'm thinking the only way to really get to the bottom of this is to just talk to the guy. I don't want to pick a fight, and I'm pretty sure if I go down to his class he is not going to want to roll with me. I think maybe I could just ask him about his background in way that maybe makes it seem like I'm interested in training with him. Its not really my style to be passive aggressive like that, but I don't really want to be an asshole either. At least not yet.

Posted On:
    3/16/2014 11:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i not 22 i over 40years. i a blck belt under r.satos. he was a black belt under master fadda. i starting in brazillan by master fadda (were a live as a kids from few years), after this i train with my master santos. now i start training with master equipe mazinho he is a 7rd black belt from the fadda line. yes by the tourney i fight not good, but was my first tourney in a long time, last time i fight as a brown belt and i hurt my shoulder by my first fight. by i want go back in fighting when my shoulder is ok agin, i know i rally rusty because i teach now for years only beginners but i want go back and this is the why i go this few times back to brazil and train with member my lineage. i roll always easy with new guys and beginners and help this guys to tapped me.

this young guy is keanu fuller he got his brown belt and black belt from me but his blue and purple belt he got from a alliance were he train for a long time! he found by the wc in jiujitsu as a blue belt for team alliance.

so when you have more questions please pm me over Facebook or come by when you inyokosuka. i teach only i yokosuka and not want teach in andren bases. is not the first time same one think i a fraud because i from a little line from master fadda and lot of guys think the same over the hole fadda line.

i hope can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by tomegatherion77 View Post
    1 Introduction: As prominent member of the MMA/BJJ scene in Japan for the last 12 years it was brought to my attention that there was a possible fraud. The name is John Kanei he located in Yokusaka Japan. He claims a 3rd degree BB with the lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Luis Franca > Oswaldo Fadda > Rickson Santos >J.Kanei.

Background: A former student of mine met Mr Kanei at an unsanctioned tourney last year. He in a roundabout sort of way mentioned he wanted to take over the BJJ programs of the 4 major bases in the area. His story seems fishy, but being a somewhat of a newbie he didn't know how to approach it. I did a quick google search and could find no information other than his own, ie. facebook, and guest book posts. His claims have a lot of the tell tale warning signs. Such as 6th degree grandmaster of Krav Maga. Kickboxing world champion.

He entered a small Dumau tourney last year, where he showed off pictures of a gold, and bronze medal. A friend of mine is one of organizers, and said no one was in his bracket so he got gold, and lost his first match in absolute with only 3 others, so he got bronze. Said he did not look good. Dumau does not require membership, and does not check on belt legitimacy like other orgs.

I contacted some friends in Yokosuka. One claimed to have rolled no gi with him, and tapped him. My friend has pro MMA experience but is a blue belt in the gi. Mr. Kanei also recently promoted a very young guy to black belt, who again was tapped by a few lower belts, and gave some really strange comments about already have a BB but "re-qualifying" under Kanei. Also a claim of having trained 18 years in BJJ but only 21 or 22 years old.

Recently a Japanese instructor from the area who would like to remain anonymous inquired about him to me as well. Anyone who has spent time in Japan knows they are very passive by nature and dont like to stir up trouble.

Purpose: I just want to see if anyone has any information. I dont want to stir up too much trouble. I am only 2 hours away from Yokosuka, and plan to make a trip shortly, but I am also military and do not want any backlash from calling someone out. I want to keep this as classy as possible.

I do understand that not every black belt is a world champion or even a national one, and some people have just paid their does over a long time. With that being said Military members are especially susceptible to frauds, and I do my best to keep the scene pure. With a lot of time invested it would be a real slap in the face if he was a fraud.

My background: Also I want to put it out there since its only fair if you are going to call someone out. I am in Atsugi, I currently train BJJ at Clube De Jiujitus in Tokyo. My lineage is: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Rolls Gracie > Romero Cavalcanti > Leonardo Vieira > Toshiyuki "Wado" Sato. I am also a BB in Judo registered in the Kodokan and IJF. I train t Koshinjuku Tomiyoshi dojo in Sagamihara.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/17/2014 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi John,

I've been following the thread concerning you on Facebook. Can you provide any evidence of your rank under "Rickson Santos" or that it is part of the Fadda lineage. That would go a long way to supporting your credibility. Thank you.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast