Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 4:54pm

Style: Kung-Fu, Wu-Su

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newaza vs. BJJ

Maybe this is an age old question, but here we go.....

I have studied Kung-fu for a long time. The system is fairly comprehensive but I would like to go much deeper into throwing and locking/grappling. I think that Judo and BJJ are both absolutely legit arts.

Here's my question: there's a very reputable Judo school near me (Oishi) that apparently does a good amount of Newaza. Should I train in this type of environment or a BJJ school with a strong take down component?

I'm interested in training fairly hard (not agro-bro style, just not too compliant), having a fairly even balance between the two components and doing some competition. Opinions/experience welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 4:56pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best advice I can give is to go check out the judo school, then check out any bjj gyms around, and pick whichever one fits you best.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nab View Post
    Maybe this is an age old question, but here we go.....

I have studied Kung-fu for a long time. The system is fairly comprehensive but I would like to go much deeper into throwing and locking/grappling. I think that Judo and BJJ are both absolutely legit arts.

Here's my question: there's a very reputable Judo school near me (Oishi) that apparently does a good amount of Newaza. Should I train in this type of environment or a BJJ school with a strong take down component?

I'm interested in training fairly hard (not agro-bro style, just not too compliant), having a fairly even balance between the two components and doing some competition. Opinions/experience welcome.
    Have you every tried sanda or sanshou?

Oishi is a well known and quality school. I'd check out both them and one of the (I think) several BJJ academies in the area and see which one you like best.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oishi's is extremely good and you'll get fine newaza there. I don't know of any BJJ gyms in NYC that do much of any clinch/throwing/takedown work, though there's plenty of good BJJ. Check out Oishi's, Marcelo's, Alliance, NY Combat Sambo...do the tour and pick the one you like the most after a month of playing the field.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, ne waza vs BJJ is a sort of non sequitur.

Both judo and BJJ do "ne waza".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 10:35am

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've seen and heard, finding a Judo club with a good amount of ne waza is a lot easier than a BJJ club with a good amount of stand-up; that said, it all comes down to what's available, so try every club within comfortable traveling distance and see what seems like a good fit.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Oishi's is extremely good and you'll get fine newaza there. I don't know of any BJJ gyms in NYC that do much of any clinch/throwing/takedown work, though there's plenty of good BJJ. Check out Oishi's, Marcelo's, Alliance, NY Combat Sambo...do the tour and pick the one you like the most after a month of playing the field.
    hey! don't leave out kokushi budo! our judo classes are at much more accessible times now than the last time you tried to come by.

also we have a dedicated newaza class on saturdays.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 11:20am

Style: It's complicated.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to mention that you could always ask within your kung-fu community to see if anyone has a shuai jiao background or knows basic sanda / sanshou takedowns.

Anyway, like it's been mentioned before, Judo and BJJ both do ne waza (ground techniques). The similarities aren't coincidental; they both have the same base / root ne waza moves.

http://www.dstryrsg.com/2013/11/judo...-bjj-hmmm.html

My opinion is that, as a beginnger, you'll probably spend more time on the ground in basic BJJ classes (you'll start your sparring from your knees and try to get the mount or a hold-down) whereas you'll probably spend more time standing up in basic Judo classes (you'll start your sparring from the standing position and try to get a throw or takedown).

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    Not to mention that you could always ask within your kung-fu community to see if anyone has a shuai jiao background or knows basic sanda / sanshou takedowns.
    there are good shuai jiao instructors in nyc, but they do not do any ground grappling after the throw is completed.

to OP; combining judo or shuai jiao with your kung fu is a really good idea, you should definitely do that. most judo dojos will give you sufficient newaza time to be able to defend yourself on the ground and get back up, but you won't be winning the abu dhabis. as has been said, go see the schools that match up with your schedule and train at the one that you like best.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj