Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 3:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Making a wrestler's headlock work in BJJ

I'm a purple that's been training for about 7+ years. One of my go-to moves lately starting from knees, is the wrestler's Sag Headlock.

I often use the collar-tie up to begin a sparring session. When my opponent mirrors my collar tie, I am very successful at feeling / timing this headlock. I catch it with ease against blues / purples / browns at my gym.

My problem is where to go from there. What usually happens is I get the pin, and then while trying to turn into the opponent, it opens up a scramble, and about half the time I wind up giving up my back. I can't help it though, its a fun throw that I have retained from my high school wrestling days, and I am able to hit it with enough consistency that I don't want to abandon it, I want to adapt it to get it to work.

I know there are 10+ defenses to the wrestler's headlock that they teach in BJJ 101, but I would really be interested in any ideas of where I could take it.

I broached the subject with one of the black belts at my gym, and he suggested trying to make sure I really stuff the near side arm, and hold it almost in a gift-wrap, to allow me to turn in and take side control.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 5:09pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use an entire submission series from here. I would add a few details to that video, he's probably not aware of the few other reversals from that throw.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 5:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are arm bars you can do from the Kesa GAtame (Scarf Hold) position, without changing to side control, neck cranks, and chokes and no doubt stuff I've never even seen before (thinking of Omega...).

You might want to practice your transition to side control more. Get someone to give you feedback as to what sort of openings you are leaving as you transition. No gi is harder. They are probably waiting for you to start your turn and catching you then.

Lots of stuff on uTube too...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 12:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume you are ending in a scarf hold/Kesa Gatame?

If so, one option I use is to bring your butt and legs back over their body while keeping pressure on the head and landing into side control on the far side.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 10:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I assume you are ending in a scarf hold/Kesa Gatame?

If so, one option I use is to bring your butt and legs back over their body while keeping pressure on the head and landing into side control on the far side.
    True, that...also, if he transitions to the side control just as he hits the ground, that could work as well, instead of setting the kesa gatame and then moving.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 2:07pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Transition from kesa gatame to kata gatame is a possibility, then you have a choke. If you learn to keep the pressure on uke you can transition to whatever in response to his actions instead of statically being in kesa.

Kata gatame:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 10:49pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Transition from kesa gatame to kata gatame is a possibility, then you have a choke. If you learn to keep the pressure on uke you can transition to whatever in response to his actions instead of statically being in kesa.

Kata gatame:

I do this a lot, especially off of throws. My kesa isn't amazing, but if I can get them to panic and thrash, I can usually get that arm over for the arm triangle.

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 1:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post

Kata gatame:

LOL, I forgot that simple one, good one, Neil !

To redeem myself, you can move to juji gatame from the Kata Gatame if they turn away.

Same thing for Kesa Gatame, actually.

Posted On:
    2/15/2014 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing the presenter got right is the number of times things can be reversed on those who (1) turn too far on the way down (unless they're transitioning to another nage) and (2) hoist their hips once on the ground (unless they're transitioning to kata-gatame).

Doing both transitions mentioned, before the opponent can react, is a matter of a ****-load more timing-drills than most people realize.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2014 9:59am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, great responses guys. I'm not so worried of getting reversed or swept when I'm hitting the throw from knees, standing it is more of an issue. Its more what to do to transition from the hold to attacking or transitioning.

I know one arm attack from there, where you stuff the arm down and cover it with your far side leg to force the lock, but I guess I'm looking more for what omega was talking about, a series or gameplan to go to from there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast