So what do you think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 11:08am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    All I'm saying is that for whites to get involved in correcting a black man who makes a racist comment against blacks denies the black community the prerogative to speak on its own behalf, and suggests that they are not capable of protecting their own interests. If I were a black man, I might find that patronizing.
    It's not whites getting involved in blacks' business; it's an organization getting involved in its own business. If a woman in your office started making statements along the lines of "it's true that all women are sluts and cheating whores", do you really think the organization would hesitate to intervene? Do you really think someone in HR or in management would say "we shouldn't get involved becase we should let the female community speak on its own behalf because they are capable of protecting their own interests . . . doing otherwise would be paternalistic" ? Of course not! They would nip it in the bud ASAP because they know that someone (man, woman, child or alien) will get offended and inaction would wind up blowing up in their faces. It's the same thing for the UFC; someone associated with the UFC did something that the UFC knew would piss many fans, fighters, critics, current and potential investors and sponsors alike so, in order to prevent the incident from blowing up in their faces, they immediately nipped it in the bud. It has nothing to do with power dynamics and everything to do with protecting their interests.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    It's not whites getting involved in blacks' business; it's an organization getting involved in its own business. If a woman in your office started making statements along the lines of "it's true that all women are sluts and cheating whores", do you really think the organization would hesitate to intervene? Do you really think someone in HR or in management would say "we shouldn't get involved becase we should let the female community speak on its own behalf because they are capable of protecting their own interests . . . doing otherwise would be paternalistic" ? Of course not! They would nip it in the bud ASAP because they know that someone (man, woman, child or alien) will get offended and inaction would wind up blowing up in their faces. It's the same thing for the UFC; someone associated with the UFC did something that the UFC knew would piss many fans, fighters, critics, current and potential investors and sponsors alike so, in order to prevent the incident from blowing up in their faces, they immediately nipped it in the bud. It has nothing to do with power dynamics and everything to do with protecting their interests.
    I agree. As I Said earlier "They're probably concerned with the image of the sport, given the opposition its gotten since the beginning. Can't blame them for that."

My comment about leaving it up to blacks to police statements by blacks was intended as a general proposition. There's too much irony in a white person telling a black man he shouldn't use the word that was invented by white people in the first place. I'm not into guilt tripping anybody, just saying its best to leave it alone.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 11:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    My comment about leaving it up to blacks to police statements by blacks was intended as a general proposition. There's too much irony in a white person telling a black man he shouldn't use the word that was invented by white people in the first place. I'm not into guilt tripping anybody, just saying its best to leave it alone.

I think it's best if people learn not to be crybabies about what other people say.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think it's best if people learn not to be crybabies about what other people say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Clarence Thomas
    Every person in this room has endured a slight. Every person. Somebody has said something that has hurt their feelings or did something to them -- left them out.
    source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...6pLid%3D442520

Of course, he's an Uncle Tom, so take what he says with a full shaker of salt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 12:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...6pLid%3D442520

Of course, he's an Uncle Tom, so take what he says with a full shaker of salt.
    Uncle Tom is actually a stand up character, contrary to his systematic destruction and labeling by angry white executives.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy way of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to keep themselves prominent before the public.

--Booker T. Washington
    Obviously the first Oreo...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 1:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, you want the Interwebz to go out of business ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 2:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What, you want the Interwebz to go out of business ?
    No, I just want to make the world a better place. That's why I offer the gift of insults to all my fellow man. It's because I love them and want to help them overcome their weaknesses. It's all about love, motherfuckers. Why can't you people understand that? I'm desensitizing the weak to things that would otherwise make them cry like little girls. Like a flu shot.

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try not to cry about the number of crybabies out there.

I just say mean things to them and then take their stuff while they're too busy melting down to pay attention.

Your altruism in trying to change them is understandable--if not exactly profitable.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast